Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of
Default I don't like this

Ds, 29 mos, has gotten into this ridiculous sleep pattern. He will sleep 9-10 hours straight thru at night, then wake. He's done this for about 6 months, but he used to nurse and go back to sleep for another hour or two. Now he's up and won't go back to sleep, but he's not fully rested and he's cranky. He will have a cranky morning and crash back out 10:30 or 11. Nap for an hour or hour and a half. And then refuse to sleep until late at night. Last night I put him to bed at 8 and he did not fall asleep until 10.

The few freak days where he's actually slept 11-12 hours at night he doesn't nap, does just fine, and quickly sleeps at night. So I would love for him to drop the nap but I don't know how to make that happen. He just won't stay asleep long enough most nights and he's just collapsing by late morning so I can't imagine trying to keep him up.

What is this? Is this a stage? What can I do?

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't like this

I'm thinking it's a stage. My little E did something similar for a couple of months before he finally decided (much to my dismay at first, until I realized how much easier nights were) to drop his nap. Once a week or so he still takes a nap, and then he's up late.
We're not totally out yet, but I'm thinking (hoping, praying) that it's a stage.

I'm sure some more experienced mamas will jump in soon too.

It's nice to know we're not alone. I'm for advice.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
PlateauMama
Rose Trellis

PlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like he's dropping his nap. Which can be a rough process.
Havi (April '07)
My wild flower Zan (June '09)
My hon bun Loam Loam (Oct. '16)
PlateauMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlateauMama For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (10-31-2014), mamacat (10-31-2014), melissa5317 (11-01-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like no nap transition and IME you just have to wait it out.My youngest eventually settled into that 12 hrs at night with no nap ad it was great! 9 - 9

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Caecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond repute

Sleep got weird for us at about that age. She went through a no nap phase while she sorted out how much time night time sleep she needed. She ultimately went from sleeping 12 hrs at night with a nap to about 10 hrs a night with a nap. But dropped the nap while she got to the 10 hr mark. She really doesn't sleep more than 10 hrs now even without a nap on the rare occasion she doesn't nap so I'm pretty protective of her nap time during the day.
DD1, born at home 6/27/11
DD2, born at home 5/5/14

INFJ DYT 4 (why yes, my signature is bolded! )

RIP Dad (5/16/51-9/6/12) Always in my heart

Caecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

You can try waking him from his nap after 30 min or so. It'll either be a dismal failure or help nights go better. Unfortunately the process of dropping that last nap can be really rough for everyone. And it can take a while, too.

The silver lining is once you're done with it, nights go really smoothly.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Yeah, it seems like he sleeps so much better without a nap that I just want him to drop it already.

And it just seems weird... I thought kids would have a later and later nap when getting ready to drop it, but mine is having an earlier and earlier one.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Why did you think it would be later and later? Mine were definitely earlier and earlier. Also, if he's growing or teething that will compound things so you might want to explore pain as a reason for not going down as easily
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
melissa5317
Rose Bouquet

melissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud ofmelissa5317 has much to be proud of

Ugh. Yes, we've been going through something similar. Except he doesn't sleep through apart from a rare occasion. He's been 'about' to drop his nap for…oh, I dunno…like 6 months now? Maybe more? With no sign of an actual decision on his part.

I feel your pain!

*ISTJ* with a little bit of aspie thrown in for good measure
melissa5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

When I ran a daycare classroom a lot of the kids (especially the boys) dropped their nap at that age and then most took it up again in a few months. My oldest did that too (I was glad he was one of the one's who resumed napping cause man was it rough).

It's really hard. Try to make the evening as relaxing as possible (quiet music, dim lights, long bath time) and there's a chance bedtime will be easier. There's also a chance you'll have a child bouncing on your head while you're playing dead in a dark room listening to Chopin Nocturnes. Yeah, it was rough.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Before mine dropped a nap entirely they moved it up in the day and dropped an afternoon nap. If they did get an afternoon nap nights were horrible. It is an annoying transition with some children.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

When my grandson was younger and they were staying with us we would def do the quieter volume and ighting and talking thing and he often would go to sleep out in family area and then transfer to bed

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote