Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
mamahammer
Deactivated

There must be beaches in heaven

mamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer-based history?

My 9yo, 4th grade daughter is asking. DVD-based will work, too. I've gotten recommendations for Veritas Press self-paced and it looks good, outside of the $200. I'll pay it if I need to, but I'd love to hear about other options.
mamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer-based history?

I have been using www.learner.org a lot this year for history related things.Also www.havefunwithhistory.com and http://mappinghistory.uoregon.edu/english/index.html My gdd same grade is using this this year and loves it.Not sure of they have an online version but you can look into it http://www.notgrass.com/notgrass/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Switched on Schoolhouse. But I usually buy it when there is a sale during the spring. Sometimes they will have good sales for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I think you can get it from Rainbow Resource at a discounted price as well.
mamacat (10-22-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
tessiemae
Rose Bouquet

tessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud of

Starting in 4th grade, we have, on and off, used free university courses:

https://www.coursera.org/

Until about 9th grade, I'd participate side-by-side with our child. We had a great time with discussions, finding additional resources at our library, choosing supplemental DVDs and field trips, making up projects (e.g. interviewing some of the older folks at church who were WWII vets), etc. I geared these classes to be as much or as little work as we were prepared to do given the rest of our lives and given the interest level of the child.

The material was never over the boys' heads, and it gave them a lot of confidence that they could take charge of their education and challenge themselves.

peace,
tessiemae
tessiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tessiemae For This Useful Post:
mamacat (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to recommend Veritas Press self-paced. I honestly didn't expect to like it, in general I don't like computer-based stuff. But we reviewed it last spring and my girls (11) LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I was shocked that even stuff they balk at for me (like spelling, and map stuff), they did w/o complaint for Veritas Press (though since we are very much not classical homeschoolers, there were some of the spelling words that I completely rolled my eyes at and just told them how to spell it (after googling to figure it out for myself) because really, when in life will they need to spell the name of some ancient Greek city that no longer exists?). So, yes, it's alot of money, but if it's in the budget, it IS an awesome option.

Also, make sure to glance over their statement of beliefs, and make sure you're ok with it, I think it was more with the older kid program (Omnibus or somesuch) but I know some reviewers mentioned having some issues with differing beliefs. We didn't run into it much, but I think it would be more of an issue in some of the other time periods, like when they're learning about the reformation (?).

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

Unearthing this thread to pick some brains about Veritas Press....tell me more!

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote