Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breakfast *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
Turtle Herder
Rose Garden

Why hello there!

Turtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle Herder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me brainstorm some easy breakfast ideas, please

I posted a muffin recipe a while back that you make in the microwave.

brb with the link...

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=386744

They have choc. chips in them but you could just leave them out or substitute with raisins or other dried fruit
and little brother Sam - 1.5

always missing Andrew - 11/18/11

Last edited by Turtle Herder; 01-18-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Turtle Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle Herder For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
ashleyhuney
Rosebud

ashleyhuney has a spectacular aura aboutashleyhuney has a spectacular aura aboutashleyhuney has a spectacular aura about

I'm a crock pot oatmeal lover myself! I do a 4 parts water to 1 part steel cut oats ratio and add in unsweetened dried blueberries, spices, and a teensy bit of sugar. I mix it up in a glass bowl and put the glass bowl in the crockpot along with enough water in the pot to meet the water level in the bowl. Super easy clean up and the crockpot can even be used again right away!
Wife to B since 6.04, parenting against the stream since 7.08 to Lil' J and hopin' and prayin' for a VBAC with #2 coming this summer

ashleyhuney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ashleyhuney For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #18
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Eggs and veggies with cheese is my fave. Not too hard.

Super simple is yogurt and granola.

A smoothie. (green smoothie even)

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #19
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

You can substitute applesauce for the eggs in baked stuff like pancakes and waffles. That is what I have done for DH. It might be too sweet, though.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BearyBlessed For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearyBlessed View Post
You can substitute applesauce for the eggs in baked stuff like pancakes and waffles. That is what I have done for DH. It might be too sweet, though.
How much applesauce would be the substitute for each egg? I have unsweetened applesauce so hopefully it wouldn't be too sweet. Although I guess, applesauce is naturally sweeter than egg. I'm willing to try it though. What kind of savory toppings would you put on pancakes and waffles besides syrup or jam? Maybe just butter?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

If i remember correctly, a tablespoon of ground up flaxseed that has had time to chill equals one egg. I have never tried it but I've read it enough times on the vegan websites to know flaxseed=egg (I might have the measurement wrong though).

I like to eat last night's dinner for breakfast. It almost always involves protein. String cheese with breakfast gives me that little bit of extra oomph too.

Peanut butter and jelly on toast with a small glass of milk

A bowl of cheerios with fresh fruit (I don't like sweet cereal either)

A handful of cashews and almonds with whatever I'm eating is another way to shake off the sleepy feeling.

Green tea with honey

Now I'm all hungry
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to make a list of ideas, especially for work mornings as I need something I can eat as I drive. Something I can prep the night before and grab would be even better. Now I need to do more thinking and meal planning. Thanks for starting this thread.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #23
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

half a banana also equals one egg for muffins, i do have some eggless recipes tho so i will get my book out and post in a bit.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
GlobalMama
Climbing Rose

Missing these sweet moments

GlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond repute

For egg replacement in baked goods, here's what I usually keep in mind:
If the batter needs to be thick, then mashed ripe bananas usually do the trick better.
Thinner batter? unsweetened applesauce.

So, for pancake batter, french toast, etc., applesauce
For muffins, loaves, etc., I'd go with bananas

As far as breakfast ideas, I actually love salad for breakfast. If you want fruit, strawberries, raisins, and grapes are always good salad toppers.

Find different grains and you'll have a plethora of breakfast options. I love oats but am keen on quinoa and couscous (regular not Israeli) for breakfast. They soak up anything you want to put in them. Favorites? Apple butter, crushed fruit, even savory things like roasted mushrooms, leeks, and spinach.

Also, if you miss eggs, extra-firm tofu can be scrambled with salt, pepper, and vegetables for an eggless scramble. I like to mix cumin, salt, pepper, thyme, and about 3-4 tablespoons of water in a cup. Then I sautee some crushed garlic, onions, and veggies in a pan with some olive oil. Break the pack of tofu (I use 2 packs) into the pan and flip it all around until browned. Don't worry about being precise, just get the water out of the tofu. Add your spices, mix it in and voila, tofu scramble.

Have you tried nutritional yeast by the way? I"m not sure of your restrictions, but if you are restricting dairy, you must make friends with nutritional yeast

Cheers!

Mama to these tiny fries:

The philosopher 1/13/2010 (C/S)
The broadway star 3/23/2012 (CBAC)

The x-games participant (Breech HBA2C) 4/28/2014

The baby of the bunch (2HBA2C) 3/30/2016

Always missing and loving Samuel and Sascha 3/14/2011

INTJ to a fault
GlobalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GlobalMama For This Useful Post:
charla (01-28-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #25
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Japanese Farmhouse Breakfast

Easy and Cheap Miso Soup
Fluffy Brown Rice with Optional Meat Garnish * Pickles

For Easy and Cheap Miso Soup, you need a bag of boiler onions (small yellow onions), a bag of light miso, and a spoonful of diced cooked vegetables per person if desired. You can replace the vegetables with one or two small cubes of tofu if you wish, but I have never tried it. Allow one or one half onion per person. Cut it into slivers. Check the miso package for the amount of dashi to heat for each serving. Instead of dashi, use water and/or leftover broth from cooked vegetables and/or leftover meat or fish broth. Throw in the onion while the water is heating and follow the package directions for adding the miso. You can put in the leftover vegetables right at the end.

For Fluffy Brown Rice, soak the rice all day or overnight before cooking; when cooking, follow the package directions, using the maximum amount of water. Do not use precooked or instant rice. Cook a big pot of rice when you are not in a hurry and use it up over 3 days. You can reheat it gently on the stove or use a microwave. The Optional Meat Garnish can be an ounce or two of neat slices of leftover meat, such as a leftover pork chop, or perhaps lunchmeat cut into shapes with small cookie cutters for a Japanese touch. Or use a portion of cooked or canned fish. In any case, put it on top of the rice while the rice reheats.

The Pickles can be right out of a jar. Or look up some recipes for quick Japanese pickles and make a batch to last a week or so--many Japanese "pickles" are really just marinated veggies.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
charla (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #26
Mollycurls
Climbing Rose

Mollycurls is a jewel in the roughMollycurls is a jewel in the roughMollycurls is a jewel in the roughMollycurls is a jewel in the rough

I make large batches of granola every few weeks and store it in large glass containers. This is the recipe I use ( instead of honey I use maple syrup and instead of oil I use coconut oil) I like to add coconut and any kind of dried fruit that suits my fancy to it as well.

http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-s...-granola-23108

I eat this most mornings with yougurt and fruit. Usually blueberries.

Married to Jean Claude. 02-05-98

Mama to Mimi (14) and Bear (8.5)
www.facebook.com/mwilsonbruneau
Mollycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mollycurls For This Useful Post:
charla (01-29-2011)