Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big energy outlets for when you can't leave the house

I know there are a lot of us right now that are stuck inside due to extreme cold weather. And in the summer there are a lot of other families that are stuck inside due to extreme heat. So I thought it would be a good idea (spinning off) to share our "get the big energy out while staying inside the house" ideas.

We do Simon Says (where we actually do "mommy says" and they do everything instead of making it a listening game) with big motor activities: jump 10 times, spin in circles while I sing the abc song, touch your toes 5 times, run one big circle around the couch.

Baths are good, too.

Vacuum tag. My big kids like this, but it took a while before E liked it. Chase them around the living room while I vacuum. If they are on the couch they are "safe". They like to run from couch to love seat. You have to know if your kids like to be caught or not. Mine don't. So I never catch them, although I get *this* close a lot. If I catch them they get really upset which blows the point of the game.

Hide & seek inside. Rules include in our house you can only stay on the main level or you can only be on the main level & upstairs, but not in a closet, etc.

Indoor obstacle course. Use pillows, couch cushions, laundry baskets, etc, etc, etc to make an obstacle course.

bouncing-- either a mini trampoline, rebounder, bounce house or a place they can bounce (in our house they can bounce on their cheap straight on the floor mattresses).

klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big energy outlets for when you can't leave the house

I'm thinking about getting a chin-up bar to mount in one of the door ways and then hang a swing or rope ladder or rope swing from it.

We have a "Dance Cam" that videos them dancing to music and projects it onto the tv in real-time. This can keep them occupied forever.

I like dancing/karate/movement videos for them.

I'll back the car out of the garage and let them ride their bikes or scooters in there.

Married since 1999, rebuilding since June 2013

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds2 (10/07, C22 disorder)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

http://www.themelodyward.com
htty://www.joplinmamaresurrected.blogspot.com
mellymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

the Wii

jumping on the bed

an indoor climber (we haven't done this but I know lots of moms who swear by it)

baths

Mother May I

Simon Says

Red Light, Green Light

Twister

Family Cleaning
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute

My boys' gracious grandmother provided them with a small trampoline. They practiced using it today, and I am in love with it. Yay for energy release!
Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I love obstacle courses.

Throw some masking tape on the floor and make it your balance beam, tightrope, whatever!

Play animals - let each child be a wild animal and act like that animal.

Dance contests! Especially if you dress up in costumes first. My girls are currently loving ABBA.

My kids are in gymnastics, so we will practice some of their moves from class - motorcycle landing, head stands and stuff that isn't too treacherous in the house.

mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

just I've been wanting to ask this for a while
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

Something I used to do with preschoolers on days where we couldn't go out onto the playground was body bowling- lining up empty plastic 3 liter bottles like bowling balls, and having them roll their bodies to the "pins" to knock them over.

With my kindergarten class, they were way too rough for body bowling, but we used to do "Freeze Dance" when we couldn't get outside, but needed to move our bodies. They all had to find a spot where they couldn't touch another person's body, and I manned the cd player- when I hit play, they danced their little hearts out, and when I hit pause, they had to freeze.

momzilla76 (01-16-2014)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

What a great thread! I think most of my ideas have been mentioned already, but I can't wait to see other ideas.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

We "practice" everything we did at dance class the previous week.

Parades--marching, shaking instruments.

Kick splashing in the hot tub or bathtub.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
jblairosu
Rose Trellis

jblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant future

Mommy to ds1 (02/07) and ds2 (02/10)

jblairosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
raquel

What about a "punching" bag? Fill up an old pillowcase (or not old ) with scrunched newspaper. Tie the end together and hang it from a doorway or something like that. Then let them bag at it with their hands and wooden spoons. Obviously it needs to be supervised carefully and perhaps just a one person at a time game.

Indoor obstacle courses? When they get good at it having timed races to see who can complete it the fastest.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

An indoor sliding board and a collapsible tunnel....sometimes we put the tunnel at the bottom of the slide so he slides down, bump, crawl, run to the ladder....over and over.

playdough punching

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute

Just for now
jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote