Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default my gluten free 5 year old surrived first party!

SO my girls were invited to a birthday part. Cecilia's best friends sister was turning 10 and both girls were invited. (the hosts had their 6 year olds niece also coming and she and Margaret are friends)..
OF course we accepted and then it occured to me.. Uh oh I've got to figure out Margaret. Cecilia I could allow to break away for the evening is she wanted and I could adjust but not Margaret...

So I assumed they'd have pizza and cake and planned for this.

1) I bought a udi's gluten free pepperoni pizza I baked it at home and just kinda slid it back into the box and brought it along

2) I made a batch Betty crocker gluten free vanilla cupcakes (not exactly healthy but hey I wanted to make sure she felt like she want losing out and time was an issue) topped it with Pillsbury rainbow chip frosting (and the can said gluten free ) put 4 in a plastic container to bring and left the rest at home to be enjoyed with in the family as a rare treat..

3) then just in case I filled another container with some simple salad fixings (lettuce/ cherry tomatoes and gluten free croutions) and another with some red grapes oh and I brought a few cheese sticks

MArgaret did really well. I told her before that she could only have foods I gave her and I was bringing special cake to have when the other cake came out. I reminded her that other foods could make her sick...
When we arrived ( w few hours early as Cecilia went to hang out with th big sister and I came to help) we learned they were doing hot dogs not pizza.. So latter when they had food I gave her the choice between a hot dog (no bun Hebrew national brand) or the pizza she choose the hot dog. (and incidently Cecilia who dislikes hot dogs ate the pizza

She happily ate her salad while others munched on nacho cheese and ranch flavored chips..

and after everyone went swimming and people were attacking cookies and more chips she asked for her power up grapes She did ask for a cookie and pouted a bit when I said no but nothing big.

The cake came a "cookie N cream" flavor but Margaret knew she had her own and she ate EVERY bite.. and had 2 something I would totally not allow normally but. Plus compared to the others she ate really well "healthy wise".
The offered vanilla ice cream with the cake. unfortunately I couldn't check ingredients as I simply couldn't find any. It was a "cheep" brand like those big value tubs.. But I know in general plain ice cream is usually safe ( minus to possible cross contamination luckily we dont need to be quite that careful)
I allowed her a small serving.. (which she ended up not really touching anyways my kids are kinda ice cream spoiled its the one consistent sweet I buy and I buy good type)

But anyways I think for our first time and kinda having to figure it all out about 2 hours before we left not too bad.

Last edited by milkmommy; 08-30-2015 at 08:36 PM.
milkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to milkmommy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-31-2015), mamacat (09-07-2015), PlateauMama (08-30-2015), shaslove (02-09-2016)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my gluten free 5 year old surrived first party!

Great job! I'm glad it was stress-free, and now they know for next time it will be too.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! Parties are hard with a gluten free child, I'm glad it went well for you!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Parties are so hard!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I invested in these odd little individual cupcake holders that I use to take our own cakes to partys. I also make a big batch of cupcakes and freeze them. Then before the party I pull it out and ice it and it thaws during the party.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (09-07-2015), Singingmom (09-08-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I invested in these odd little individual cupcake holders that I use to take our own cakes to partys. I also make a big batch of cupcakes and freeze them. Then before the party I pull it out and ice it and it thaws during the party.
I ran across a blog that suggested making GF cupcakes and freezing so their would always be something quick to take. I think that is a great idea. Ive seen those cup cake holders they are super cute, do they hold more than one?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Good job mama! So do the cupcakes taste like regular birthday cupcakes?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Good job mama! So do the cupcakes taste like regular birthday cupcakes?
yes they did I honestly couldn't really tell any difference. They were maybe a bit more dense? but nothing offensive. They kind of reminded me of pound cake..

Now remember I used a betty Crocker GF cupcake mix so these get zero nutritional points but they got a 10 for yummy.
bananacake (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I use a King Arthur recipe. It tastes great - just a little more dense

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have a link to their cupcake holder?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kitchenniche.ca/cupcake-c...l?currency=USD. But I got them much cheaper on amazon this was just the first link
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote