Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #91
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

Thanks, Nici!!
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #92
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

This is awsome on clothes. My mil also has used it on her counters and other surfaces and said it worked great!!

Liquid Natural Detergent
Dishwasher/Floors/Tub & Tile/Laundry

* This Makes 1 Gallon

1 cup of Castile Soap
1 /3 cup of Salt
1 cup of Dissolved Borax
or baking
Soda (Optional)
1 cup of Vinegar (Optional)
40 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract.
( Optional)
Added boost
add some papaya enzymes about 4 crushed
capsules per gallon

If your skin if very sensitive then just stick to the
salt and Castile Soap and the Grapefruit Seed extract
or experiment with it.

Fill your Gallon Jug up 1/2 way with water.
This can be a Gallon Jug of water you
buy from the grocery store.
You can pour 1/2 of the water into a bowl
and reserve it.

Dissolve your salt, baking soda or borax in a
pan of water.
Warm the water on the stove on low heat and
stir until it is dissolved.

Add to your gallon jug along with the
Castile soap
and the optional vinegar.

Fill your gallon jug up the rest of the way.

Add Essential oils and Grapefruit extract.

Shake the gallon jug

Tub and Tile Cleaner . Put your solution in
a skirt bottle and use on your tub and tile,
on your tile floors and in the toilet bowl.

Floors : add 1/2 to one cup to your bucket of water
and clean any floor except Pergo.

Dishwasher - Use in your dishwasher in place of
dishwashing detergent

Laundry - Use in your Washing Machine in Place
of Laundry Detergent

Glass Top Stoves - This works well on your glass
top stove.

Use on your counter tops - This will produce a nice shine on your counter tops.

My mil did not use the GSE and added some lemon essencial oil. I also added lemon eo also.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #93
hink4687

I'm not sure if this recipe is posted anywhere on here but I just started using this detergent in my dishwasher today and it works great!

1 part borax
1 part washing soda
orange oil

And I use vinegar in the rinse instead of the rinse stuff you buy at the store (can't remember what its called!)
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #94
herbalwriter

Thanks Nici!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #95
preciousEJ

Great sticky!

Just a quick question: I have a 2 litre bottle of white vinegar here - it doesn't say it is distilled or anything - is it okay to use for cleaning purposes? I think I bought it a while ago for window cleaning but I am still trudging thru my bottle of windex (can't bear the thought financially of throwing it away)

Also, when you girls have changed over to using natural products, what have you done with your old cleaners - thrown them out? Donated them?

Claire
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #96
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I threw a lot of mine out. I didn't feel good about giving them away, because I knew they were toxic. I couldn't stand to use them anymore. So I just threw them out. They probably should have been properly disposed off, in that amount, but I didn't know what else to do.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #97
preciousEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie
I threw a lot of mine out. I didn't feel good about giving them away, because I knew they were toxic. I couldn't stand to use them anymore. So I just threw them out. They probably should have been properly disposed off, in that amount, but I didn't know what else to do.
yeah, I am totally debating this in my mind... I don't want to give these chemicals to anyone to make them sick... I don't really want to use them to make our family sick... but if I throw them away there are probably plenty of people in the world who can't even afford to but the nasty stuff... let alone have the resources to research and use these natural remedies... kwim? I just hate thinking that I am throwing somethin away that someone could use!

claire
Old 05-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #98
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousEJ
Quote:
yeah, I am totally debating this in my mind... I don't want to give these chemicals to anyone to make them sick... I don't really want to use them to make our family sick... but if I throw them away there are probably plenty of people in the world who can't even afford to but the nasty stuff... let alone have the resources to research and use these natural remedies... kwim? I just hate thinking that I am throwing somethin away that someone could use!

claire
I know, it's a tough one. I think I would be prone to giving them to someone who is in need, and who you *know* is never going to get hooked on the natural stuff. I have a few friends like this. :/ If someone is going to use nasty stuff, I'd rather they use it for free and spend their money on food or something. I'd probably also tell them that I was giving it to them since I knew they use it already, but that I was learning about how toxic it is and ask if they were interested in trying some of my natural stuff as well. That way, you are educating them so maybe in the future when they can afford it they would look into it more...and in the meantime the "free" stuff is helping them get to that point.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #99
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinMama
oooh, I am so excited to try some of these out! Here's another one to try for toilets:
pour about a cup of vinegar (more or less, i never measure!) into the bowl, then add baking soda, about 2 T (again, I never measure, I only wait for it to bubble up!) Let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub it with the brush up and down the inside of the bowl, and it will sparkle. Then, just flush!

I also use vinegar in water for the floors, but my dh complains of the smell...maybe I am using too much vinegar?
P would love this one! He loves making volcanos! I think I might have a toilet cleaner (P) from now on along with the cleanest toilets on the planet!
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #100
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I have discovered that if you boil vinegar on the stove, and then pour the boiling vinegar over moldy tile grout, it will whiten it fast. Way better than room temp vinegar. And in the process, it cleans my tea kettle, too.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #101
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

Good tip Natalie. I will be using that one.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #102
herbalwriter

Quote:
I have discovered that if you boil vinegar on the stove, and then pour the boiling vinegar over moldy tile grout, it will whiten it fast. Way better than room temp vinegar. And in the process, it cleans my tea kettle, too.
Wow, really? it gets rid of mildew stains? we are plagued with mildew around here. I am willing to put up with the whole house smelling like a pickle if it works.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #103
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

It worked on my grout, but I did also use magic eraser on the tile first (soap scum), and a scrub brush on the grout afterwards.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #104
herbalwriter

I have one of those erasers and a scrub brush.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #105
ogood1

*THIS* is the thread that encouraged me to join this board!

Thank You SO much for the peppermint scrub recipe. I bought some peppermint scented castile soap and made the recipe, gave ds a bath, and did two loads of laundry. It smells soooooo good! It smelled so good that I made a batch for my mom and co-worker to my left.

I just wanted to eat it , because it smelled so good. Decided not to, since it has borax.