Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
3jays

Default I love my church but...

We moved here about 2 years ago. It tooks us a while but we finally found a church we loved. I love people, the services are great but....... The more I hang out with these ladies I can tell that I am a minority. The all spank their kids(all of them) the even discuss spanking their kids with joy. I am disgusted, I was even told that they hold seminars about spanking and discipline. I don't know whose method but I don't support this in anyway. I have even had a few of them talk to me about my choices.......... I am usually prepared to support my views but when you have a whole church of women who support this I am out numbered. HELP HELP
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Hilary316
Rose Blossom

Hilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really nice
Default Re: I love my church but...

Yes, same here. I am in the South and I would say this is probably the spank capital of the world! I have never met another mama IRL that doesnt spank. I have a friend who lived in MD who doesnt spank, and we chat through FB, but that's it. Im almost afraid to mention that we dont spank because I can just see the weird looks I'd get and the lecturing and all that mess how Im not being a "good Christian" by not spanking... Plus, I just know they'd start watching my child that much more closely just waiting for her/me to mess up.. KWIM?

Ahh, the stress!
Clara (11/10)
Benjamin (12/12)
Luke (7/15)
Hilary316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary316 View Post
Yes, same here. I am in the South and I would say this is probably the spank capital of the world! I have never met another mama IRL that doesnt spank. I have a friend who lived in MD who doesnt spank, and we chat through FB, but that's it. Im almost afraid to mention that we dont spank because I can just see the weird looks I'd get and the lecturing and all that mess how Im not being a "good Christian" by not spanking... Plus, I just know they'd start watching my child that much more closely just waiting for her/me to mess up.. KWIM?

Ahh, the stress!
we left the last church partly because after the AP and new nursery gal discovered i dont spank, they were EXTRA punitive to my son, and my sunday school class was pulled out from underneath me.

sorry just venting.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
3jays

I really hate it. I really dont want to go looking again ( I hate church shopping). M children love the church, we had to leave early and they cried. It usually comes out in coversation at functions. Why must we discuss childrearing at every meeting?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
nanookmama
Rose Trellis

It's gonna be a great day.

nanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jays View Post
Why must we discuss childrearing at every meeting?
Because that's what a GOOD Christian women does. She gets married, has a baby, spanks the baby, and talks (brags) about it at every.single.get together. It's a rite of passage.

I think there's something vaguely competitive about punitive discipline in churches too. When a church pushes the agenda, the moms seem to want to outdo each other by doing it 'best'. Maybe that's how the mom's keep up with the Jones' without being materialistic.

Or maybe I'm being extra cynical today. But that's exactly why I've quit spending time with women at church. Non-Christians (or at least the non-churched) are much more accepting of my religion than religious people are of my decision not to spank, CIO, etc.

Resurrecting MamaPsalmist
Press Pause Photography
nanookmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanookmama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry. That's so frustrating.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanookmama View Post
Because that's what a GOOD Christian women does. She gets married, has a baby, spanks the baby, and talks (brags) about it at every.single.get together. It's a rite of passage.

I think there's something vaguely competitive about punitive discipline in churches too. When a church pushes the agenda, the moms seem to want to outdo each other by doing it 'best'. Maybe that's how the mom's keep up with the Jones' without being materialistic.

Or maybe I'm being extra cynical today. But that's exactly why I've quit spending time with women at church. Non-Christians (or at least the non-churched) are much more accepting of my religion than religious people are of my decision not to spank, CIO, etc.
So much truth in this. This is why I say, and I am not the first to say it, I would rather be the only Christian in a group of gentle parents than the only gentle momma in a group of Christians.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (09-06-2010), CapeTownMommy (09-04-2010), EMama (09-04-2010), Maggirayne (09-03-2010), nadezhda (09-08-2010), Redeemed (09-03-2010), Sparrow (09-04-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
veggiegirl

It might be hard to find any church that has what you are looking for.
Maybe some of those other mommas are watching (and learning) how you are doing things and might want to change.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

What a disappointment, right when you would like to be forming bonds of friendship and support within a new church. And overall, you like the church! I can imagine how sad you must feel to discover the women don't share one of your core values, and in fact seem determined to promote an opposite core value.

It is easy for me to say, "change the subject" and "try to enjoy these new friends on other levels." That may not be possible if these ladies have chosen this as a very important core topic that they are bonding over.

Do you think God has you there for a reason, possibly? Or do you think it is wiser to avoid meetings where these topics tend to come up and minimize your exposure to that kind of thinking?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
So much truth in this. This is why I say, and I am not the first to say it, I would rather be the only Christian in a group of gentle parents than the only gentle momma in a group of Christians.
this has, unfortunately, been my experience too.

I'm really sorry, 3jays. Do you think this is one of those topics that if you 'bean dip' enough on, they will finally decide to leave you alone? or do you think it runs deeper than that?

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is a really good point. I once ran into a friend at the park who was with her church's playgroup. The oddest thing happened; there was like a time-out/spanking competition going on I probably would have never noticed had I not been a member of a secular playgroup and had never seen the same dynamic there at all.
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

i didnt read the pp's but i wanted to say i couldnt go to a church like that. well, i could if God told me too i guess. but it would be very hard. sounds tough
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

formerly known as apronstrings

Desert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud of

Quote:
This is why I say, and I am not the first to say it, I would rather be the only Christian in a group of gentle parents than the only gentle momma in a group of Christians.
You know, I used to feel that way...and then I realized I have more in common with my sisters in Christ than with unbelievers.

"When a culture simply shrugs about what happens to people in war, it breaks the fragile sequence, the bond between all people." -- Michael Meade.

Celebrating Family - Come see my new blog! (and vote for it here).
Desert Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

First, know that you are not alone. I can't think of many here who have not visited or fellowshipped in a church where they were 'the only ones'.

The best advice I can give you is that you have to make a decision. Sit down with your dh and pray about the overall situation. Do you feel specifically called to stay in this church or do you stay because x, y, z (it's close, it has 'programs', whatever). If you are called to stay, are you called to stay and 'endure' or called to stay and 'fight'. There is no right answer to these questions, only you and your dh can know what is right for you. It is possible you were put there for a specific purpose. It is also possible the God is allowing you to see some pretty big issues with continuing fellowship there and you are called to seek a new church home.

Seeking God's will for this situation is the only way to have peace, whether He tells you to stay and fight, stay and be still or move on to something else He has prepared for you.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (09-10-2010), Maggirayne (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
3jays

Thanks for the support and advice. I never realize how mentally taxing it was until I was pondering spanking my son for acting his age. We are praying!!!