Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #91
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

This is interesting to me because if PS fails us our back up plan is a VCS. Good friends of our have had a wonderful positive experience with it.

Talking about terms. . .
Quote:
I have heard moms refer to it in conversation, "Joe is in an independent study program".
Saying that to just about anyone I know would be heard, "Joe is a problem in school so he's at home now."
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #92
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to also say that we are in our third year in a VA and it has been an awesome experience. I can't speak for all states, but in CA I have come to see that they are extremely flexible if the curriculum doesn't work for you (you just have to talk to somebody about it and not assume there are no choices). In fact, a dear friend of mine has a fourth grader in our VA who is struggling...she loves writing and illustrating mini books though, so she made a deal with her master teacher to write and illustrate 4 books a week and that's it! Also, the history curriculum hasn't been a fit for her other daughter, so the teacher told her to just go to the library and find books on the subject, and as long as she got the information and understood it, it was fine. She loves the other curriculum and support, so she continues to do the VA. How is this different than choosing another packaged curriculum? My girlfriend who uses Sunshine said that our books for literature are almost identical. I chose K12 because I love it and it's working great for our family. When something isn't working for us, I do something different as long as we get the end result of understanding about the subject. Why does that make me not a homeschooler in your eyes? We also include Bible and character curriculum, but for our core subjects I've chosen K12 and happen to get it free through the VA. I think if I couldn't do the VA I'd still pay for it because I love it. I think you have the wrong idea about the choices and flexibility that parents have for our children in a VA.

And FWIW, I have experienced a lot of predjudice by Christians for doing a VA, and truly I believe I have the same heart that you do in the schooling choices I make for my kids. I finally found a support group where I am loved and accepted, but there a A LOT that forbid me from being a member. Please be careful in your assumptions because you really do come off as extremely legalistic, "better than," that we aren't making the best choice for our children, and very unaccepting. Even though you you say VA families need the same support, by saying that we are not homeschoolers it makes me feel very unsupported and not part of your club. I know that's not the intent here so don't get me wrong, but it really is how it makes us feel.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
Six Little Feet (02-11-2010)
Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #93
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I'm not really a homeschooler. In my state, you either have to be a certified teacher to teach at the high school level (the only legal way to homeschool a high schooler), or be granted a waiver by the public school system that allows you to homeschool without a teaching certificate (like they would ever grant such a privilege! That option is extremely rare), or you have to enroll in an umbrella school and be considered an employee of that school teaching your child at a remote campus. As far as the government is concerned, my student is enrolled in a private school, although my son has never set foot in that school because it's eight hours away. It's sad because anything he achieves doesn't go down in the records as being achieved by a homeschooler, but as a private school student.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #94
AttachedMamma
Deactivated

AttachedMamma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Mom
Does anyone remember when kindergarden was an OPTION??? Or am I showing my age??? Slowly, oh so s l o w l y, the option to send your child a year earlier to school became the standard.

Now there is so much talk about preschool. I am scared to think that 20 years from now preschool will be the new kindergarden. No one will ever remember it being an option.

That is what I am afraid of with the public school's VA. Before you know it, their ideas will become the norm.
I'm in my forties, so I have seen a lot of change over the years.

I'm not saying anyone on this board said this, but nobody in my homeschool circle (co-op, support groups, etc.) sees schooling at home via virtual academy as inferior to their homeschooling which isn't connected to the public school. The issue isn't about homeschoolers feeling offended by how others school at home using the public school's materials, plan, reporting to the school, etc. The issue is the real fear that this new type of homeschooling blurs the lines...and the laws of homeschooling as it was fought for by the homeschooling pioneers. It re-defines what constitutes homeschooling.

I think that the people best to explain this are the ones who have been in the "trenches" of homeschooling for many years or were homeschooling during a time when they had to fight for homeschooling legislation.

cindi
Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #95
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I think this issue is one of 'degrees of independence' - Public schoolers depend on the sytem to choose the curriculum and impliment it. VSers depend on the system to choose the curriculum and they are responsible for 'making it happen'. Home schoolers both make the curriculum decisions and impliment them. The governmental slippery slope, from my perspective, is that if we include VSer in the category of 'HSer' then the goverment can say 'well, we've always been involved with dictating homeschool curriculum (as opposed to 'you must cover math, reading,....), we are simply taking it to the next step'. I don't think anyone is making a value judgement about VSing, but I dont' want the government telling me I can't use BJU materials about as much as I don't want BJU telling me I have to.

Quote:
I think at least some were saying that support groups should support all who teach at home to some degree unless they are legal/political in nature. IMO I do not think it bad for a group to have a standpoint on an issue, but I think they should still welcome those outside that standpoint as long as they are respectful of it.
The only problem I can see with this is how the program is implimented. In the past, we have had very rigid families join our small group - if the suggested field trip didn't meet their specific curriculum guidelines, they viewed it as a wasted trip and sometimes allowed it to cause tension in the group. If someone doing a VS program is on a strict schedule, they might not feel they can participate with the group. Also, a hot topic with my homeschool group is always curriculum - whether it's a new mom who is looking for btdt advice, or someone whose child has reached a new level and is ready to make a change - what we like, what didn't work for us, what we are searching for is just something we discuss on a regular basis. I think a vitual schooling mom would be very welcomed in our group on priciple, but I wonder if she would feel supported.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #96
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins
I think this issue is one of 'degrees of independence' - Public schoolers depend on the sytem to choose the curriculum and implement it. VSers depend on the system to choose the curriculum and they are responsible for 'making it happen'. Home schoolers both make the curriculum decisions and implement them. The governmental slippery slope, from my perspective, is that if we include VSer in the category of 'HSer' then the government can say 'well, we've always been involved with dictating homeschool curriculum (as opposed to 'you must cover math, reading,....), we are simply taking it to the next step'. I don't think anyone is making a value judgment about VSing, but I don't want the government telling me I can't use BJU materials about as much as I don't want BJU telling me I have to.

Quote:
I think at least some were saying that support groups should support all who teach at home to some degree unless they are legal/political in nature. IMO I do not think it bad for a group to have a standpoint on an issue, but I think they should still welcome those outside that standpoint as long as they are respectful of it.
The only problem I can see with this is how the program is implemented. In the past, we have had very rigid families join our small group - if the suggested field trip didn't meet their specific curriculum guidelines, they viewed it as a wasted trip and sometimes allowed it to cause tension in the group. If someone doing a VS program is on a strict schedule, they might not feel they can participate with the group. Also, a hot topic with my homeschool group is always curriculum - whether it's a new mom who is looking for btdt advice, or someone whose child has reached a new level and is ready to make a change - what we like, what didn't work for us, what we are searching for is just something we discuss on a regular basis. I think a virtual schooling mom would be very welcomed in our group on principle, but I wonder if she would feel supported.
I just want to say ditto to everything you just said. I would have used a VS if one was easily available to me when I first started out, and I would be so rebelling against the VS if I was in it now! but now that I'm more comfortable with my role as a homeschooling mom, I'm more comfortable with making those choices for myself.
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #97
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think this issue is one of 'degrees of independence' - Public schoolers depend on the sytem to choose the curriculum and impliment it. VSers depend on the system to choose the curriculum and they are responsible for 'making it happen'. Home schoolers both make the curriculum decisions and impliment them.
But see, herin lies the confusion. I am in between an the VS and an independant HSer. In fact, have more freedom than one of my friends had under a private umbrella (which like I said, other than being your own private school is the only way to HS legally in CA.) I choose my curriculum and impliment it. I have to mark "attendance" but so long as I do 20 days within the period (which technically should be 4 weeks M-F) I am fine. And there is no real consequence for some absences either. Then I just write down what I did in the typical subject areas. I can use what I want, but as a public they wont pay for religious matierials. I try my best to unschool and I dont have to keep grades till High School. So that is why the typical HS co-op *is* beneficial to me.

Still I am ok with people wanting to make a difference betweeen what I do and independent HS. I take govt money, and as a result have to keep to a traditional school year and - if I stay with it - have my kids take the test they have at various grade levels. So while I think on one had there needs to be inclusion for VS and chater parents on a practical personal level, and while I think one needs to not judge the decisions of other parents, I do believe a distiction needs to be drawn. I WANT there to be more VS and Charters because I hope it will diverify the typical brick and mortar PS model. I hope it will allow those who for whatever reason cannot or will not independantly HS to be in more control over their child's education. But at the same time it does need to be defined as different than the tradional HS movement.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #98
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I pm'd this to Terri when the board was locked and I was frustrated

There are birth options.

Hospital--many have a *good* experience, some would say their experience is great, far too many end in C-section and there is a lot of debate over how many are actually necessary. Induction pushes for birth before mother and baby are ready, doctors control birth, mother is part of the system.

Birth Center--designed to be as close to home environment as possible but with the benefits of the hospital if needed. Many women *feel* safer, but are under strict supervision because of the liability of the birth center and staff if things don't go "on schedule".

Homebirth--in a planned homebirth with or without a midwife there is absolute and total control of the birth in the hands of the mother. All rights and responsibilities fall on her shoulders and it is up to her to surround herself with support that will enable her to be successful.

A woman who gives birth before she gets to the hospital didn't have a "homebirth"; a woman who gives birth in a hospital obviously didn't have a homebirth, and a woman who had a birth at a birth center, even if it's wonderful, even if it's "just like being at home"--did NOT have a homebirth.

It doesn't make her birth "wrong", "less than", or other than what it should have been, but it isn't a homebirth

To me this is the same. You cannot define something simply by what it isn't, but what it isn't is part of what it is. VS is an alternative to the traditional public schools and I think it's great that this is out there Just like I think birth centers are a wonderful alternative to a routine hospital birth. But while VS is home, it isn't homeschool.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #99
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

I don't know. I agree that a hospital birth is not a home birth. I agree that a birth center birth isn't a home birth. But to me if a baby is born at home no matter what the intentions are of the parents it's a home birth because they were at home when the baby was born. If the baby was born in the car then it was a car birth. If the baby was born in a bathroom then it was a bathroom birth.

If a child is taught at home they are home schooled. They are being taught at home through out the normal school day by the parent not a tutor. Yes they are using a CS or VS and do not have the freedoms that the rest of us have and love but still they are being educated at home in their place of dwelling and residence and their parents are teaching them. Maybe I am just being very dense but to me that is being schooled at home therefore home schooled. :/ Just like a baby born at home no matter what the parents' plans where is a home birth because they were in their home when the baby was born.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #100
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

You know, it just occured to me that I should explain my thought process a bit more clearly in a homebirth you have people doing it differently and using different levels of medical help. You have the unassisted birthers which would be like those who unschool, then you have the ones that use a lay midwife which are like those that homeschool using curriculum, then you have the ones that use CNM which would be those that us the VS and CS.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #101
jojola

I just had to laugh when I read this thread because I REALLY don't fit under any definition!!

I teach my 7yo his grade 2 curriculum, not at home, but at the kindergarten where I also teach my 4yo and 3 children from a Children's Home. So I'm not schooling at home... I'm not doing public school.. I'm not in a private school, unless a class of one qualifies... hmmm! I'll have to create my own category!!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #102
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said before, I'm thinking hard about stepping out of the K12 VA and into an IDEA school. It sounds a lot like the school Heather Micaela is describing, essentially a sort of voucher for me to use on some curricula (I'll buy some Sonlight materials on my own because that isn't covered). I am choosing the curriculum completely. I am completely in charge of what she learns. I make her learning plan for the year. I implement it. But the state provides some of the funding. It's great for our family right now.

That being said, I don't want to do anything that jeopardizes homeschooling rights. Were we in a different financial situation right now, I might consider real homeschooling. I don't know. I certainly have a huge amount of respect for families I know who strictly homeschool, and 20 years down the road, I would feel terrible if I knew I did something to keep my grandkids from being homeschooled.

I've tried googling and can't come up with information to this question. Are there currently any states who have had VCSs come in, and then homeschool rights changed (or there is legislation in the works to change them)?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #103
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I teach my 7yo his grade 2 curriculum, not at home, but at the kindergarten where I also teach my 4yo and 3 children from a Children's Home. So I'm not schooling at home...
I put you firmly in the 'homeschool' category. If I based my defintion on where the learning happened, I might have to describe myself as a 'x% Car Schooler, x% school at grandma's house-er......'

Quote:
But to me if a baby is born at home no matter what the intentions are of the parents it's a home birth because they were at home when the baby was born. If the baby was born in the car then it was a car birth. If the baby was born in a bathroom then it was a bathroom birth.
Those are accidents of circumstances, not decisions based on conviction and parental opinion. The only way to compare this to education is if your child picks up a math book, you never intended to teach them math, but for some reason were held hostage until you completed the course work - yes, your child would have been taught at home, but that is not what a 'homeschooling experience' is all about any more than an emergency birth at home is what the 'home birth experience' is about.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #104
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

Use the search terms Homeschool Opposition to Virtual Charter Schools and you'll be able to find some of the reasoning you're looking for Blue Savannah.

Interestingly enough even the creators of the virtual charters make a distinction between themselves and homeschooling,

Quote:
K12 describes a charter school as "an independent public school of choice, freed from rules but accountable for results." Although charter schools vary in approach from state to state because of government regulations, K12 identifies four "pillars" - freedom, innovation, choice and accountability - as the general basis for charter schools.

Although the curriculum is home-based, K12's founder and CEO Ron Packard told CNSNews.com that its mandated rigorous curriculum, enforced accountability through state tests, and access to state-certified teachers makes it "dramatically different" than the home school approach.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...20020813b.html

Quote:
"A private home education is really a liberty issue, and it’s very tough to see how a government operated home school could be in the best interests of liberty for home education,” Smith said.

Because virtual charters are still under the curriculum and testing requirements of traditional public schools, home-school parents lose the right to choose faith-based materials. “If [parents] want credit for this, if they want a diploma later or a transcript or anything like that, they have to teach over the curriculum that is approved,” Smith said. “That doesn’t prevent them, outside the time they’re getting credit, to augment [teaching materials] with Christian curriculum, but if they want to be in compliance with the program, they have to use whatever the charter school provides by way of curriculum.”

“There have been efforts to take the regulation of those who are under the virtual charter schools who are teaching their children at home and apply it to all of the home schoolers,” Smith said. “It looks like a good way to regulate home schooling, and that is the problem with these programs long term. They may look good now, but I have no doubt that the government, somewhere down the road, will try to tighten up on all of the home-schoolers.”
http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclu...e.html?id=4304

Until 22 years ago homeschooling was illegal in this state and many others. Don't think for a second that its accepted enough that we can afford to relax and believe the option will always be available to us. The NEA is vehemently opposed to homeshooling in any form, including the virtual charters...and they are a powerful large political body. When homeschoolers buy into the use of public money and submit to the demands of public school "authority" we weaken our political position and that political position is what keeps us able to do this in the first place.

Alternative school choices should be available to all. Whatever school choice suits an individual family should be there for their use. But calling these Alternatives something other than what they are dilutes the political strength of the push required to keep independent homeschooling legal in all states.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #105
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Although the curriculum is home-based, K12's founder and CEO Ron Packard told CNSNews.com that its mandated rigorous curriculum, enforced accountability through state tests, and access to state-certified teachers makes it "dramatically different" than the home school approach.
And this is the heart of the problem. "dramatically different" is understood by the NEA and it's proponents to be "better than" and if it's "better than" AND at home then why not apply it to everyone? They could easily argue "best of both worlds" when really it's a trampling on the rights that many fought hard to demand!

As for birthing at home--it's not a "homebirth"--again, the word is NOT about location, it's about philosophical intent. As far as the hospital is concerned a birth that didn't make it to the hospital where it was intended to be had is a "failed hospital birth". My cousin, for example, didn't have a "planned gas station birth" Whether UC (which, yes, my mind went to the far reaches of the analogy too ) or midwife assisted when a woman plans and intends to give birth at home it is an expression of an entirely different philosophy of birth.

And, as for labels, I do believe that those who educate their children within the most liberal approach offered by their state are still homeschoolers. This makes me think of with the twins when we were exploring HOW to get a homebirth in a state where it's illegal for midwives to assist at births of multiples. One thought was to have them in the van in the parking lot and then take them in to get checked or go inside if there was a complication. I would have considered that a "homebirth" because of what was going into it and why certain compromises were being made.
Closed Thread