Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
sensitive Pearls and plumbing line

I've put it sensitive, just because of the nature -

From the snippets of TTUAC I've read online, Pearls mentions you can buy plumbing line at Home Depot. He actually mentions it by name.

Would it do any good to contact Home Depot and tell them that they are named as being a store that sells instruments instructed to hit babies? I'm really not sure what it would lead to.... I'm just thinking about it and honestly feeling mad.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pearls and plumbing line

I don't think there's anything Home Depot can do about it.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think there would be something they could do, right?

Pearl's writings are always so upsetting to me.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
Codi (11-10-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute

Home Depot is a registered trademark so really I think they could go after him. What page is it on, edition etc. I will write to them but not buy his book to get the 411.

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Six Little Feet For This Useful Post:
Codi (11-10-2010), Sparrow (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

Home Depot sells plumbing supply lines, of course. The thin flexible ones the Pearls buy for baby whipping are intended to supply water to ice makers, just as the belts sold at JC Penney are intended to hold pants up, not beat children.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it would make a difference (after all, who goes in and says "I'm buying this to beat my kid!?) but at the same time, their name has been brought up because of Lydia's death. Letters to the corporate office may at least get them to make a public statement against it, but the kind of person who buys plumbing line to whip their kids with will just see it as more "persecution against the righteous"
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Codi (11-10-2010), Rabbit (11-09-2010), Sparrow (11-09-2010), Starfox (11-09-2010), Zooey (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

HD doesn't sell instruments to beat babies. They sell plumbing line as a home improvement tool. What people use it for HD has no control over.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but can the Pearls legally use HD's name for that purpose?
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrangeTraveller For This Useful Post:
Codi (11-10-2010), Sparrow (11-09-2010), Starfox (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

yes, because there are no laws against hitting your kids w/plumbing line and usage of a trademarked name falls under fair speech...
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
StrangeTraveller (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

blegh.
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Right. If they were trying to co-opt the name for their own uses (as if they were claiming that they had a right to the Home Depot trademark or were marketing products under that name as if it were their own) that would be different. There is no prohibition against mentioning a company by name in a book.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iarwain For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (11-09-2010), Starfox (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute

Home Depot though could ask him to not use their name. IF I was the CEO i would be adamant that they not mention me in their book.

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Six Little Feet For This Useful Post:
Codi (11-10-2010), Maggie (11-09-2010), Sparrow (11-09-2010), Starfox (11-09-2010), StrangeTraveller (11-09-2010), Zooey (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
yes, because there are no laws against hitting your kids w/plumbing line and usage of a trademarked name falls under fair speech...
What about in Canada where hitting babies is iilegal?

Mama to:

The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Six Little Feet (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaBear View Post
What about in Canada where hitting babies is iilegal?
The book isn't published in Canada, and I've often wondered about reporting churches that hand it out. After all, under 2/over 12 and w/anything other than an open hand is illegal here in Canada. I think if churches hand it out they are encouraging people to break the law.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Six Little Feet (11-09-2010), Sparrow (11-09-2010), Zooey (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Sparrow
Rose Garden

I didn't know you were Canadian

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
The book isn't published in Canada, and I've often wondered about reporting churches that hand it out. After all, under 2/over 12 and w/anything other than an open hand is illegal here in Canada. I think if churches hand it out they are encouraging people to break the law.
I wonder if that angle could be taken in the homeschool stores that sell it too.

Mama to: