Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold
Default Dandelions

My neighbors take pride in their lawns. I want my lawn to look nice, but I'm not about to spend tons of time out there. However, I want to know why there is a distinct line where the dandelions grow (my yard) and where they don't (the neighbors). Why is this? Is there anything I can do about them?
ilikestrawberryjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dandelions

Your neighbors use herbicides to kill the dandelions.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold

I am so not up with gardening. I thought that chemicals would kill the grass too. :/
Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
WildOlive

I'm probably the only person who loves the dandelions in my lawn! I don't want them in the flower garden or veg. garden, but the lawn? Why not!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
booboo
Deactivated

booboo is on a distinguished road

I read that if you get a spray bottle with plain old vinegar in it, spray it directly on the dandelion, it'll kill them. And not harm sewer system, etc. Haven't tried it myself yet but plan to this year. hth!

Don't worry what's not growing outside their homes. YOu never know what's growing inside!
booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
summertimeshine

If you feel like you have too use chemicals...you just spray the dandelion and it should just die...You can also spread turf builder w/ weed contole...That all being said I do not like to use chemicals in our yard so this is what we do.
#1 pick the heads off yellow dandelions so they do not go to seed
#2 try to dig out the root or since my dh does not do this...skip to step #3
#3 Pour scalding hot water on the spot where the dandelion was growing
#4 Wait a day and then put on some grass seed and water them in (your ground naturally wants to grow something in this spot so by giving it something to produce you are replacing the weeds w/ grass)

The key really is really getting the flower off! By just doing this you will solve much of your problem. Dh says then you can just mow over the base of the flower and the wife will never know
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertimeshine

. Dh says then you can just mow over the base of the flower and the wife will never know
That sounds like something my DH would do!

I guess I will go out and start picking the dandelions once the rain stops!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dandelion digger...last year I took out gallons of the dumb things. The key is to do it after your lawn has been watered b/c then you can get the whole root out...if you don't it will grow back with like three plants in the same spot with spindly little roots going down to the part of the tap root you missed the first time. Ask me how I know.

Here's a link about several ways to get rid of them. http://www.plantea.com/dandelions.htm I don't think just cutting the tops off will help b/c they grow from the taproot. It does, however, keep them from spreading if they don't go to seed.

I also spread corn-gluten meal on the lawn twice a year. I buy it from Gardens Alive, they make several different formulations, from just plain CGM to ones with added fertilizers. Here's an example.

HTH!
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiasmomma
I'm probably the only person who loves the dandelions in my lawn! I don't want them in the flower garden or veg. garden, but the lawn? Why not!
I love them too! I think plain green lawns are so boring and unnatural looking. I love grass dotted with sunny yellow spots or pretty white puffballs. Our neighbors didn't like us much when we lived in town.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I'm all for a chemical free lawn and we try to minimize putting anything on the lawn BUT I just a nice thick plush green soft lawn. I love it when you can walk on the lawn with your barefeet and it actually feels soft under your feet, kwim? And it looks so nice and dark green.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

So, what do you guys use, 2sunshines? That sounds nice.

I like dandelions, too, but I don't like our lumpy lawn that sometimes hurts our feet when we walk on it. That might be from the junebug larvae, though.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
mom2threegirls

I love a nice dark green weed free lawn, but I also prefer to use no chemicals on it. I use Ringer's Lawn Restore fertilizer a couple times a year to fertilize- it's totally chemical free and all natural. If the lawn is healthy and thick than most weeds will be choked out. The ones that do manage to come up get picked by hand with something like this:

http://www.thegardengates.com/PhotoD...ctCode=GW-1003

Mine isn't quite like that but you get the idea. I got mine at Lowe's for only 3 or 4 dollars and it's great because you pull the weed right out without disturbing the grass around it.

I also apply lime and gypsum because the ph gets messed up with all our Seattle rain. That stuff totally depends on your location and your soil, but it helps my yard a ton.

Most people do use lots of chemicals to keep their lawns looking nice but it can be done without that stuff!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for dandelions!!!!

They look so pretty!!!

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

I totally agree about dandelions being pretty. I picked dandelions for about a week every single day for 3 hours and finally gave up and just let them grow. :/ I kept thinking, "Why do people spend hours and mountains of money to kill these pretty yellow flowers, and then go and spend a heaping amount of moolah on other flowers that are no better looking than dandelions anyway? Why do people call them *weeds* and the other flowers *flowers* and complain that they wish their flowers were more hardy, but hate the flowers like dandelions that really ARE hardy?!!" But one does not keep popular with their neighbors if you let the dandelions get out of control, that's for sure. That's the reason I picked mine...added to the fact that my mom threatened to use chemical spray if they got out of control (I live with my parents.)
I love that vinegar idea. I'm going to try it. Well, dandelion season is pretty much over here, but I'll try it next year.