Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #16
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

MayzieMcgrew is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Essential Oils

I live in Argentina, and we don't have many of the MLM's that you guys have there. We have Just, and I think that's about it!

Again, will definitely try out Thieves! It seems to work well to ward of illnesses!

C - (almost) 2 years old
MayzieMcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #17
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieMcgrew View Post
Wow!! That is amazing!! I didn't know Thieves Oil was so helpful in warding off illnesses. I'll definitely try to start there!!!!! Thank you so much!!

I’ve barely gotten sick since starting to use thieves as deodorant. I started working in the ER of a large hospital on 2/5 and the flu reason has been brutal. I had a slight cold and ive had a very sore ear but haven’t gotten sick yet

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 03-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #18
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I live in Argentina, and we don't have many of the MLM's that you guys have there. We have Just, and I think that's about it!

Again, will definitely try out Thieves! It seems to work well to ward of illnesses!
It does work, but know that there are a lot of warnings out there about not using Eucalyptus on toddlers or even young children. Rosemary also, so I would dilute a lot and only diffuse for short periods until you know how your toddler will react.

My oldest is almost 17, and there was not much info about stuff like this back then and I went with what worked. I have used Eucalyptus with all of my babies in the bath, usually in the form of Johnson's Vapor Bath, but when that was not available, I just put drops of peppermint and eucalyptus right in their bath. I used vapor rub on my five babies (Vicks! Not even homemade!) and I used to diffuse peppermint and eucalyptus in an old vicks vaporizer back in the day. When I first read about it causing breathing problems, I was like "Oh no! I am a terrible mom!" Obviously, it was fine for them, but maybe others will chime in with their experiences for young kids. For myself and my kids (youngest 3), I use it all the time.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018), tempus vernum (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
It does work, but know that there are a lot of warnings out there about not using Eucalyptus on toddlers or even young children. Rosemary also, so I would dilute a lot and only diffuse for short periods until you know how your toddler will react.

My oldest is almost 17, and there was not much info about stuff like this back then and I went with what worked. I have used Eucalyptus with all of my babies in the bath, usually in the form of Johnson's Vapor Bath, but when that was not available, I just put drops of peppermint and eucalyptus right in their bath. I used vapor rub on my five babies (Vicks! Not even homemade!) and I used to diffuse peppermint and eucalyptus in an old vicks vaporizer back in the day. When I first read about it causing breathing problems, I was like "Oh no! I am a terrible mom!" Obviously, it was fine for them, but maybe others will chime in with their experiences for young kids. For myself and my kids (youngest 3), I use it all the time.
My kids are 17,16 and 12 and I also used stuff very young (started at 6 months) and had same thought when I heard not recommended for little ones we also had no breathing problems. We didn’t use Vick’s cuz I was already using oils before getting pregnant w my eldest

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #20
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a light user. I always add EOs to my homemade cleaning solutions. I add whatever strikes my fancy.

I diffuse on occasion, mostly for mood.

Vitamins and homeopathics are my first line of defense when sick. But I use EOs if I think they're a better fit or of the symptoms are confusing. I always carry thieves oil (not the brand name) when we fly. I always use EOs for suspected fungal issues, too. And I use them preventatively, on our feet, when we go to a waterpark or swimming pool.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

I also used them when my kids were young, even as babies, and had zero problems. And my pets have never had problems, even when I used to diffuse almost daily. I don't discount the warnings but I think they may be overblown.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (03-19-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post

I’ve barely gotten sick since starting to use thieves as deodorant. I started working in the ER of a large hospital on 2/5 and the flu reason has been brutal. I had a slight cold and ive had a very sore ear but haven’t gotten sick yet
Amazing!!!! Do you have the deodorant recipe?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

C - (almost) 2 years old
Old 03-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not Jodi but, for deodorant, I melt coconut oil, let it cool some, and add EOs. I pour it into a shallow jar, like a 4 oz mason jar. Then I use my fingers to get a little bit and rub in.

Some people add baking soda but too much can be irritating.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #23
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I use various Plant Therapy Kid Safe EO's daily. I really like Nighty Night my 2 year old sleeps harder the nights I give it to him, or if I apply it during a fitful night he settles the rest of the night.

I really like Immune Boom when I am fighting some thing. I really think it's kept me from getting a fully blown TissueFest cold the rest of the family has been slathering me in the last week and a half.

Tummy All Better was amazing when we had a stomach bug in December, it obviously didn't stop the sickness but it eased the awful pain that felt like a bowling bowl in your gut. I also use it every time I drive anywhere with my 2 year old, he gets carsick on any trip longer than 30 minutes (it was 10 mintues when he was rearfacing, I turned him around as soon as he was 2 and 30# I couldn't take the puke any more), if I put the oil on him and give him a snack he doesn't throw up! I often forget though

My oldest gets anxious about stomach aches at night and Tummy All Better is her favorite oil, she said it just makes her feel good (I think she gets post nasal drip that bothers her belly).

I put Shield Me on my kids necks and ankles whenever we are playing outside in areas I worry about ticks. I use it as a mosquito repellent, doesn't work for me but nothing really does those things love me. I haven't found any ticks since I started using the Shield Me!

I make rollon's with some glass amber applicators I got on amazon and organic grapeseed oil as a carrier.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-20-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #24
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Amazing!!!! Do you have the deodorant recipe?

First to clarify I use aura cacia not actual thieves but it’s close and I call it thieves

I’m lazy. 2 drops/pit right out of the bottle on my fingers, rub into arm pit. Sounds expensive but my bottle lasts way longer than deodorant

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #25
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
First to clarify I use aura cacia not actual thieves but it’s close and I call it thieves

I’m lazy. 2 drops/pit right out of the bottle on my fingers, rub into arm pit. Sounds expensive but my bottle lasts way longer than deodorant
I put a drop of oil in my hand followed by a small squirt of fractionated coconut oil because I like to dilute. I usually use tea tree.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-20-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #26
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

Are there other EO that help fight of flus and colds? Or that help DURING a cold?

C - (almost) 2 years old
Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #27
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Oregano, Lemon
Lemon in tea, oregano on feet (dilute!!!)
R.C. is a great blend by Young Living. It really helps breathing. Their Raven oil is supposed to really help with coughing, but I have not tried it. It is in the new starter kits.

You can search for flu bomb recipes. They can be made into a roller, you don't have to just take it internally. Any of those oils will help even if you don't use them all.

I still find thieves to be helpful when already sick. If I catch a cold, I drink a ton of lemon ginger tea and lemon water (like constantly drinking!) , take some elderberry syrup, and roll on thieves and RC. I also diffuse those. (not together) I am usually better in a day, maybe two if I caught it late.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #28
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna be "that person". Before u choose to injest essential oils please research. I am not at all against taking them internally, but there is a time and place, and putting drops in water has never been the recommendation by any qualified aromatherapist I've ever seen. Water and e o' s don't mix so people have gotten mouth sores, ulcers and worse.

Many of the safety groups I'm in say never injest oils. I don't agree and probably take them internally 2 or 3 times a year for a specific purpose and I dilute properly in an oil based liquid, and do it for a very limited time.

So please, lots of research into it.

Essential oils are very powerful substances. And just because they are natural doesn't mean they are completely safe. I mean arsenic anyone? But they in my home have immense value. I honestly have at least 50 bottles . I make my own blends and use them to help my family often. But I constantly try and learn more

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-25-2018), PrincessAnika (03-27-2018), squiddles (03-23-2018), The Tickle Momster (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #29
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

That is interesting.
My lemon ginger tea is just Stash, but
I do add one drop of lemon to a pitcher. I use the kind labeled for internal use, but that is the only oil I i ingest.
It makes sense that oil/water don't mix, so it would seem like you are ingesting the oil straight. I am certainly not an aromatherapist, though. I prefer a drop of oil to lemon juice in my water or tea because of the acid in lemon juice. I don't want it on my teeth, plus it is just easier.
I will research more, but I personally have found it helpful.
Better to me than repeated use of NSAIDS for inflammation, which also cause ulcers.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 03-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #30
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Peppermint is really good for headaches rubbed on the temples (abdominal area for cramps)

Ginger on wrists for nausea

I diffuse oregano or rosemary a lot when we are starting with sore throats......Thieves.

Grapefruit is our constant for mood (lemon grass, orange or lime are my other go toos for mood)

There is a mix in our brand Eden's Garden Aroma Fresh that doesn't bother my husband at all and he is very allergic reactions to things. (Similar to doTerra Purify)

I have many others, for mixes, but those are the ones that I use the most.

I mix turmeric/black pepper /copaiba with coconut oil or olive oil for pain rub.

I mix hemp/copiaba with coconut or olive oil for bad pain days. if really bad sharp pain in my tailbone or sciatic area I do one drop of hemp straight.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote