Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #31
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I the only one totally curriculum shopping yet?

I'm slowly shopping and researching. My ds will be doing 2nd grade next year.

I already have SOTW Volume 2 and the AG, got them at a scratch and dent sale. We'll also move on to AAS 3, but haven't bought yet. If a sale crops up I will, otherwise I'll order this summer. I'll also be using FLL level 2 and WWE 2(have not bought either yet) and finish up OPGTTR if we don't over the summer. For the most part, I'll pick up these if I see a good deal, otherwise I'll order June or Julyish.

I also know I'm going to switch to Singapore math, but I'm waiting to give ds the placement test until we finish our current math curriculum so I can see better where he'll be at. Then I'll order.

I haven't figured out science yet. I have a hard time finding one I like. Hoping to do Biology or Chemistry at a young level. Maybe using the Christian Kids Explore series, but not sure yet.

Also going to teach him cursive because he's dying to learn. Probably HWOT, but not sure yet on that either.

Bible wise we're continuing with Telling God's Story, but I haven't bought it yet (is the second book even out?)

And I'm sure I'm forgetting something...
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #32
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

I have Telling God's Story, and I just haven't figured out how to do an organic devotion with the kids using a curriculum. I have hardly used it at all, and was getting ready to sell it on Amazon. I seriously have theology issues, and I don't know if I need to overcome, or just be real with my kids about where I am with it, and hope they will find Him in their own journey.
I'm going to take one long last look at it, and decide whether to give it a second chance or not.
Honestly, I don't know what I believe right now, and I don't know if it's my place to tell my kids what to believe when I've been so misled that I'm not even sure for myself, KWIM?

Yeah...that was a rabbit trail, but if you want it I might let it go at a very deep discount.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #33
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Definitely not! And we won't even be starting homeschooling for another three years! I am always reading this forum and checking out tons of different curriculum choices, I don't know how I'll ever pick one when the time comes!
I am glad to know I am no the only one who haunts these so that I can get ideas about the curriculum to plan things years in advance.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #34
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need to order until Sept/Oct (depending on how many breaks we take between now and then) but I already have everything I need to order in my cart on Heart of Dakota
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Shopped, ordered, got it all in and already switched up our curriculum here.

However, I DARED suggest that they could take the summer off with their PS'd siblings and nearly caused a mutiny. They INSIST I must at least continue to do basics with them, as they cannot stand the idea of not doing homeschooling, even if their siblings are not schooling this summer.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-21-2012), Quiteria (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, TTL.

I'm starting to plan...trying to use what we have, and make a minimal list...need the next level of MUS, probably social studies for 1st grader, maybe a few more items.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #37
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
Shopped, ordered, got it all in and already switched up our curriculum here.

However, I DARED suggest that they could take the summer off with their PS'd siblings and nearly caused a mutiny. They INSIST I must at least continue to do basics with them, as they cannot stand the idea of not doing homeschooling, even if their siblings are not schooling this summer.

Really?

What am I doing wrong? Mine are SO MAD that I make them keep up with basics over the summer.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #38
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

My kids complained a couple of weeks ago...ok, well, Jayden complained a couple of weeks ago.... when I made her do "homework" on a Saturday morning of work she was supposed to do on Friday and didn't, but told me she did. She said "We ALWAYS do school! We NEVER get a break! No one else did school yesterday (it was Good Friday) and NO ONE is doing school today, and everyone has spring break next week, but we'll still be doing school!!! We NEVER take a BREAK!"

So I said... "You are right. We NEVER take a break. We NEVER stop 'doing school' to go to Disney World, or on a cruise, or to the beach, or random other long weekends. Man, EVERY time we do something fun is always when EVERYONE ELSE is out of school too!! We ALWAYS take 9 hours (how long from bus run to bus run here) EVERY SINGLE DAY to do school! We NEVER get done in less than 2 hours of all of you doing school! We NEVER get done before your friends even wake up when they are on their breaks!"

Then I just looked at her. She said "ok, fine. You are right. I was just frustrated with myself for not doing the 10 minutes of English yesterday when I was supposed to. I much prefer our schedule."
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-23-2012), Love_Is_Patient (04-21-2012), Quiteria (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #39
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

I've had my list ready for a while, but we are starting week 6 of Dh's current unemployment stint, so I can't order for a while.

For next year with DD1 we plan:
Language arts: FLL Level 3, WWE Level 3, AAS Levels 5 & 6, A Reason for Handwriting Cursive (continuing)
Math: Probably RightStart Level D, but am still looking at all our options as we get into higher levels. The lower levels were a great fit for her. I'm just not sure how long we'll stay in this curriculum.
Science: Apologia Exploring Creation with Botany (her choice). I was really hoping to do this one starting this spring/summer as we are growing our garden.
History: SOTW Volume 3 with the activity book
Physical Ed: Ballet and Tap (continuing)

With DD2, who will be kindergarten age next year
Listen to SOTW and color the pictures (she has already been doing this). Start her on AAS Level 1, go as slow as she wants. Start RightStart Level B, go as slow as she wants. Continue using beginning readers. Perhaps some scripture copywork (depending on resistance- I won't push it). Continue ballet/tap or other sport of her choice.

DS1: Teach him how to say "sit" without the "sh" sound at the beginning...
gpsings (04-23-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #40
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post

DS1: Teach him how to say "sit" without the "sh" sound at the beginning...
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #41
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

I am just starting to plan can't buy for a couple paychecks but we need to plan for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #42
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, didn't mean to post and run.

I'm down to just two homeschoolers at this point. So, I have a 4th grader with ESL issues (and ftr, Quiteria has been a LONG-TERM educational consult for my ESL and LD children for anyone who needs a consult to help formulate curriculum to work with special needs). I have a 6th grader with severe Dyslexia and extremely high IQ.

So, for the 4th grader, we have to accomodate for reading struggles, especially in comprehesion in an academic setting, and grammar and spelling that sends him into near panic attacks, even if he *knows* what he's doing. Otherwise, he's quite bright, quite distractable and has low self esteem, so his schooling HAS to reinforce his self esteem and confidence or he'll shut down.

For Ch, I'm going with the following:

~Sequential Spelling level 1 (he truly needs to start small and build without stress involved)
~Exercises in English workbook C (we'll go through D and E as he can progress but I'm just ticked he is FINALLY able to work in a formal grammar program without panicking, we used Madlibs for YEARS to help him see grammar and not pressure).
~Daily Writing Traits (cannot say enough good things about this program for building writing skills in elementary kiddos)
~K12's 4th grade Literature program (he's not found but it gives some formal stuff I feel he needs, especially reading and re-reading passages for comprehension skills).
~Phonics of Art (CD program for formal art classes, required by our current state)
~Composers for Kids (free online music course)
~BBC's typing program for kids (online and free as well)
~Teaching Textbooks Level 5
~Foundations of Science (just cause I need a "textbook" for my stupid state)
~Boy Scouts for Civics work as well as some PE, health and science material
~A People's History of the United States with the accompanied Voices of a People's History--the primary source matierals to go with the textbook. (I would NOT recommend this prior to middle school level. It's firsthand, primary source material and there have been points that were gruesome for ME to read. However, I want my children to learn history from primary sources and not from the power elite viewpoint so I opted for the Zinn Project to teach US history specifically to challenge my middle schoolers to think for themselves and evaluate history based upon both historical context but multiple viewpoints)

In addition to this stuff, we utilize field trips, documentaries, hands-on science experimentation, games (Ch is very found of a computerized Chess game that allows him to play the computer and work on his logical and critical thinking skills without being dependent upon a partner to play. Also, Ch is required to read from a chapter book daily AND to work on large writing projects. We just progressed from weekly stories to bi-monthly reports. He's working on a project on the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade that is due in another week. We meet twice a week to go over what he's writing and I guide his writing process.

For C, I utilize the Kindle for his independent reading and he uses text2speech along with MS Word for his writing projects. He's currently working on a project about Casava Root poison and exactly WHY the original inhabitants of Hispaniola felt death by casava root poisoning was preferred to domination by Christopher Columbus (told you the history course is gritty). Due to C's dyslexia struggles, he also has Brainpop and time4learning as options for variety. We're considering giving Ch access to one or both of those, but sometimes if Ch is overwhelmed he really needs to be checking in with me or he'll run away and just not push past his challenges.

C's 6th grade cirriculum:

He's working with dyslexia and dysgraphia as well as some apraxia (yes, it's all related to dyspraxia but in multiple different forms and you have to treat each set of challenges symptomatically).

~Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra
~same Science textbook
~time4learning
~Brainpops
~Same history
~Kindle with text2speech for reading work
~Barton Reading and Spelling Program (this accounts for ALL of C's ELA except for his writing work, the chapter books I read him and what he reads independently on his Kindle)
~Boy Scouts
~same Art program
~same music program
~Suzuki Piano
~programming his own games on the computer

I think that's all thus far.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Do want to add that we used SOTW all through elementary grades for the kids. Basically, we've been through the series twice at this point. It was time to work on a focused US history for the middle schoolers. However, they both have a STRONG background in world history to step into US history. Additionally, I was kind of weak on my own history before I became a homeschooling mother. I solidified MY history knowledge via teaching with SOTW and got tremendous compliments from some very hard-nosed history professors when I went back to college.

It's a GOOD core program for giving an overview of world history.

I'm not sure what we're going to do after Zinn Project when we return to world history. I really want to get into some nitty gritty primary source learning of world history. SOTW was great for elementary school, but I'm not certain what we'll do for late middle/high school for the boys. Still shopping for options. But, having graduated from SOTW, I highly recommend it for teaching world history to elementary kiddos.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #43
Gowermom3

I have my stuff in mind and know what we are doing just need to save some money to buy it.