Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did homemaker change to stay-at-home-mom?

I don't like any of the titles. I'd love to find a better term. It's an important job. My family would be hungry and dirty if I did nothing

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Carini (02-20-2015), Chaos Coordinator (02-20-2015), Findabhair (02-20-2015), Kiara.I (02-20-2015), kiloyd (02-20-2015), MaySunflowers (02-21-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), Soliloquy (02-20-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #17
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

M
Quote:
I think the change was intended to show the priority of focus. Homemaker was associated with the 1950's perfect housekeeper and 'dinner on the table at 6' myth
It wasn't a myth in our house. We lived with my gramma and she was the epitome of that kind of homemaker. We had full meals (salad, main dish, vegetable, starch, jello (usually) and a dessert (frequently) every night. The house was never messy. Occasionally my room was but she didn't let that go for long either. The floors were mopped daily when she had infants (including my brothers) snack every day after school, the only laundry like was the small one at the bottom of the chute and she washed socks by hand. her hair was done, make up on by the time my Grampa came home and she was an Avon lady too. She also gardened and sewed, knit etc. I think to us now it's about staying home with the kids and the home arts are seen as side annoyances but definitely not priorities. I think to her it was a vocation and she took it very seriously. I would really like to be more like her in that way.

Last edited by Mother of Sons; 02-20-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
blondie (02-20-2015), ECingMama (02-20-2015), Elspeth (02-20-2015), Findabhair (02-20-2015), JoyfulMom (02-23-2015), Katigre (02-20-2015), kiloyd (02-20-2015), mellifera (02-20-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), rdsmommy (02-20-2015), Rose5000 (04-07-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015), Teacher Mom (02-21-2015), Virginia (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #18
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Under occupation on my facebook I have "domestic engineer" I think it's pretty fitting.

When people ask me what I do I say "home school and keep all the people alive" that takes some skill: domestic engineer!
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (02-20-2015), Elspeth (02-20-2015), Hannah Elise (02-20-2015), JoyfulMom (02-23-2015), kiloyd (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #19
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love both homemaker and "keeper of the home/keeper at home" although the latter is a mouthful.

A house is just a house. I lived in lots of different apartments and houses before I got married. Even when I was in between jobs or during breaks from school, I wasn't a homemaker. It was just a roof over my head and a place to keep my stuff.

For me, a homemaker ties it all together to keep the heart of the family thriving. Certainly, my husband contributes, but it is the longing of my heart that each member of my family feel warm inside when they know they are going home. "Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home."
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (02-23-2015), Mother of Sons (02-20-2015), Pragmatist (02-20-2015), rdsmommy (02-20-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015), Tengokujin (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I don't think (again, I may be wrong), it's very common for women to be homemakers pre-kids.
It's common for sugars daddy's.

...back to your regularly scheduled conversation.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #21
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
It's common for sugars daddy's.

...back to your regularly scheduled conversation.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
M

It wasn't a myth in our house. We lived with my gramma and she was the epitome of that kind of homemaker. We had full meals (salad, main dish, vegetable, starch, jello (usually) and a dessert (frequently) every night. The house was never messy. Occasionally my room was but she didn't let that go for long either. The floors were mopped daily when she had infants (including my brothers) snack every day after school, the only laundry like was the small one at the bottom of the chute and she washed socks by hand. her hair was done, make up on by the time my Grampa came home and she was an Avon lady too. She also gardened and sewed, knit etc. I think to us now it's about staying home with the kids and the home arts are seen as side annoyances but definitely not priorities. I think to her it was a vocation and she took it very seriously. I would really like to be more like her in that way.
I enjoyed reading that. That is the mom I want to be. Or at least close.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
deena (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #22
MrsDuck
Rose Bouquet

MrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

I enjoyed reading that. That is the mom I want to be. Or at least close.
I enjoyed reading it, too, but it left me wondering... HOW DID SHE DOOOOO IT?? I try so hard, and fail, most every day. And then I get frustrated and go for days without even trying and everything falls apart. Is is just that we have too much? Both physical stuff in the house, and time stuff on the calendar?

I like "domestic goddess".

Blessed to be a Stay at Home-schooling Mama to:
DS1 - Snugglebug - Nov. '08
DS2 - Wiggles - May '12
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrsDuck For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-20-2015), deena (02-20-2015), Lady Grey (02-20-2015), Pragmatist (02-20-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), Rose5000 (04-07-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #23
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I love the term homemaker. . I cant even say SAHM, about myself, it feels empty to me and in my head refers to something that I am not.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #24
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Homemaking arts are a bit lost at this point. I took classes in school to acquire some skill, and have gleaned some from my grandmother, my mother in law, and basic life as a mother and wife, but there's no way I could do as much as was listed in that paragraph above. I spend a lot of my day lying down exhausted and trying to figure out what to do next.

My mom was a computer engineer. I grew up on lucky charms and beanie weenie and daycare snacks (saltines. Lots of saltines). I was always fascinated by these moms who spent their days cooking and sewing and cleaning because it was so far removed from my own home experience.

I joke that I once told my mom I wanted to grow up and be a teacher and she said I wouldn't make very much money doing that, so now I homeschool instead I really showed her! (she is totally supportive of my life choices btw!)

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-20-2015), mellifera (02-20-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #26
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

I theorize that when one could boot the kids out into the neighborhood to play all day, one could accomplish gobs more domestic things...
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to melliethepooh For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (02-20-2015), Blue-EyedLady (02-20-2015), Carini (02-20-2015), Chaos Coordinator (02-20-2015), deena (02-20-2015), Dovenoir (02-20-2015), ECingMama (02-20-2015), Findabhair (02-20-2015), Hermana Linda (02-20-2015), kiloyd (02-20-2015), knitlove (02-20-2015), MamaRachel (02-25-2015), MegMarch (02-20-2015), mommychem (02-20-2015), MrsDuck (02-20-2015), Pragmatist (02-20-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), rdsmommy (02-20-2015), RiverRock (02-20-2015), solatido (02-23-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-20-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015), Virginia (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #27
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliethepooh View Post
I theorize that when one could boot the kids out into the neighborhood to play all day, one could accomplish gobs more domestic things...
It's true even 20 years ago as long as a slightly older kid was out front to keep an eye on things the babies and toddlers were fine to wander the yard and neighborhood.

I remember being 8 and taking SIL who was 3 over to my house (about 2 blocks away) by myself. Or being 7 and having BIL and SIL (1 and 2) out in the driveway while MIL was inside doing stuff. It wasn't a busy street at all and I kept an eye on them.

It was even more lax 50 years ago. Even in other countries they are so much more laid back. I had a friend from well not eastern Europe But east of Italy who had CPS threatened on her because she'd let the kids do stuff American Mother's wouldn't dream of allowing. And when you stepped back it really wasn't that bad.

My Mom cooked every thing from scratch for 7 people, homeschooled 5 kids, and sewed and knitted like crazy- becasue she enjoyed it. She was alwasy cleaning- but she had key areas that she cared about and kept on top of but things like dishes were always a disaster. you CAN'T do it all, all the time...But you can pick the things you care about and do them well.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-20-2015), Hermana Linda (02-20-2015), kiloyd (02-20-2015), MaybeGracie (02-20-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015), Virginia (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #28
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

My gramma definitely believed in outside time for kids. We were outside playing nearly every day. My Grampa built us a skating rink in the back yard which gave us something to do in the winter. My gramma kept us busy but she didn't entertain us. She often had some kind of craft for us to do. She wasn't trying to just get rid of us though. She didn't like for me to stay in my room and read. She always wanted us playing. If you dared say you were bored you got chores.

Our neighbor did tell me once that she doesn't understand mothers these days that let their toddlers run free. She made lots of use of a playpen. Toys would not have been strewn around the house because toddlers didn't play that way. Not sure if my gramma used one but it wouldn't surprise me.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-20-2015), ECingMama (02-20-2015), kiloyd (02-20-2015), MaybeGracie (02-20-2015), MrsDuck (02-20-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), RiverRock (02-20-2015), teamommy (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
mellifera
Rose Trellis

mellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
I enjoyed reading it, too, but it left me wondering... HOW DID SHE DOOOOO IT??
She didn't have internet.
mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mellifera For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (02-20-2015), Chaos Coordinator (02-20-2015), ECingMama (02-20-2015), Hermana Linda (02-20-2015), Lady Grey (02-20-2015), lucie (02-20-2015), MaybeGracie (02-20-2015), MegMarch (02-20-2015), Mother of Sons (02-20-2015), MrsDuck (02-20-2015), Quiteria (02-20-2015), rdsmommy (02-20-2015), RiverRock (02-20-2015), squiddles (02-20-2015), Starfish (02-22-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-20-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015), Virginia (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #30
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

I asked dh if he preferred homemaker or sahd. He said, " well I'm not a builder or carpenter... " . So I read him the definition of home maker from that article but he still wasn't interested in being called a homemaker (he isn't currently a sahd, but wet both share the work and parenting atm, and he has been sahd in the past)

My fb page says I'm "personal assistant and trainer" to ds1 (never got around to adding the others)
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote