Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meatless Meals in March

Ha! How do you like that alliteration in the title? Pretty impressive, right?!

For lunch today I cooked some cute heart-shaped noodles my mom had given us and frozen corn. I mixed a jar of spaghetti sauce from TJ's with the pasta. I sliced some apples, and I made some garlic toast (I put Earth Balance on sourdough bread and sprinkled it with garlic powder and toasted it in the oven).

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meatless Meals in March

I'm only recently cooking again and need ideas!
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday for lunch I cooked short-grain brown rice with plain cubed tofu. I also cooked some sliced tofu in the oven -- I put Liquid Aminos, grapeseed oil, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder on the slices of tofu and baked them, turning them over partway through. I love tofu cooked that way. My boys don't care for it that way, though, so that's why I made plain cubed tofu, too. We also had cranberry sauce, mandarin oranges (from a can), a small grapefruit we shared, raisins, bananas cut up, and sliced avocado.

I also made what I call "truffles" out of avocado, almond meal, carob powder, oatmeal, chia seeds, agave nectar, and coconut oil. I blended those ingredients together in a food processor. Then I shaped them into balls and them rolled them in a mixture made out of flaxseed meal, a little bit of sugar, and cinnamon. I loved them.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1231 View Post

I'm only recently cooking again and need ideas!

gentlechristianmothers
Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Ms_Dahl
Rose Trellis

Ms_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to participate in this thread. As an Orthodox Christian, we generally stick to a mostly vegan diet during fasting periods. I need ideas for meals that don't heavily depend on carbs!!

Aldi actually had a great meal idea for a carb-less pasta meal. Peel a carrot, zucchini and squash lengthwise with a peeler, boil the strips briefly and top with marinara sauce. I hope to try that the next time I get groceries.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
I also made what I call "truffles" out of avocado, almond meal, carob powder, oatmeal, chia seeds, agave nectar, and coconut oil. I blended those ingredients together in a food processor. Then I shaped them into balls and them rolled them in a mixture made out of flaxseed meal, a little bit of sugar, and cinnamon. I loved them.
That sounds delicious! I don't have carob powder or almond meal. I do have flaxseed meal. What does carob powder taste like and do you think I could make these without those two ingredients?

Last edited by Ms_Dahl; 03-03-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Ms_Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_Dahl For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Dahl View Post
That sounds delicious! I don't have carob powder or almond meal. I do have flaxseed meal. What does carob powder taste like and do you think I could make these without those two ingredients?
Carob powder would be like adding cocoa powder...a sort of chocolaty taste.

They do sound delicious.

Lunch today was a quinoa-kale-sweet potato pilaf.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Quote:
I'd like to participate in this thread. As an Orthodox Christian, we generally stick to a mostly vegan diet during fasting periods. I need ideas for meals that don't heavily depend on carbs!!

Aldi actually had a great meal idea for a carb-less pasta meal. Peel a carrot, zucchini and squash lengthwise with a peeler, boil the strips briefly and top with marinara sauce. I hope to try that the next time I get groceries.
I like to use zucchini in place of pasta (I like raw) or to use spaghetti squash. My mom actually recently bought me a neat thing that cuts veggies in long strips like noddles. It's fun to use.

Quote:
I just remembered that I forgot to mention that it also had cashews in it.

You could make it without those two things. I often use cocoa powder instead of carob. Carob powder has a sweetness to it, unlike cocoa powder. My children don't like it as much as cocoa powder, but I grew up with my mom using it sometimes, so it has the element of being a comfort-type food for me.

I make my truffles out of a variety of things. They end up rather like cookie dough, so it's a lot like eating raw cookie dough, which I love!

I use something (or more than one thing) wet to bind the dry ingredients together -- something like avocado or pureed pumpkin. You can use peanut butter (my son doesn't like it so I don't use it when I make these). Or dates or raisins (which also help sweeten it). Liquid sweetener also can help. Oh, and coconut oil.

For dry ingredients I things like coconut, almond meal (or almonds ground up), cashew meal, oatmeal, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, hempseeds, etc. And I usually add cinnamon, maybe ginger, or pumpkin pie spice, etc.

I could find some recipes if you'd like.

gentlechristianmothers
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Ms_Dahl
Rose Trellis

Ms_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, all those ingredients sound yummy. Recipes would be really helpful. I think I want to try the carob powder. Is it something I could get at TJs?
flowermama (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, all those ingredients sound yummy. Recipes would be really helpful. I think I want to try the carob powder. Is it something I could get at TJs?
I'll get back to you with some recipes.

I don't think I've seen carob powder at TJ's. I bought mine at Fred Meyer. They have it in the bulk section, too, but right now I have some I bought on clearance for half off (Bob's Red Mill brand). If you have a natural foods store near you, it bet they would likely carry it.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Christa, last month you mentioned that you made some eggplant curry, so I decided to buy some eggplant the other day, and today I cooked chopped onion, green pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, cabbage, and carrots together with spices (including curry). I added tofu and leftover rice from yesterday and mixed it all together. Yum!

gentlechristianmothers
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
I like to use zucchini in place of pasta (I like raw) or to use spaghetti squash. My mom actually recently bought me a neat thing that cuts veggies in long strips like noddles. It's fun to use.

I just remembered that I forgot to mention that it also had cashews in it.

You could make it without those two things. I often use cocoa powder instead of carob. Carob powder has a sweetness to it, unlike cocoa powder. My children don't like it as much as cocoa powder, but I grew up with my mom using it sometimes, so it has the element of being a comfort-type food for me.

I make my truffles out of a variety of things. They end up rather like cookie dough, so it's a lot like eating raw cookie dough, which I love!

I use something (or more than one thing) wet to bind the dry ingredients together -- something like avocado or pureed pumpkin. You can use peanut butter (my son doesn't like it so I don't use it when I make these). Or dates or raisins (which also help sweeten it). Liquid sweetener also can help. Oh, and coconut oil.

For dry ingredients I things like coconut, almond meal (or almonds ground up), cashew meal, oatmeal, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, hempseeds, etc. And I usually add cinnamon, maybe ginger, or pumpkin pie spice, etc.

I could find some recipes if you'd like.
Do you use refined coconut oil? I only have unrefined extra virgin and can't hardly use it in recipes because of the overwhelming coconut taste.
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaSam For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSam View Post
Do you use refined coconut oil? I only have unrefined extra virgin and can't hardly use it in recipes because of the overwhelming coconut taste.
I can't remember what it's called, but I use the type that tastes coconut-y. I think I must like taste of coconut more than I realize.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Wow, all those ingredients sound yummy. Recipes would be really helpful.
Here are some recipes! I usually just throw mine together now -- there are so many great possibilities! But hopefully this will help get you started and give you an idea of how to make them.

http://detoxinista.com/2012/11/pecan...s-vegan-paleo/ <-- She dips them in melted chocolate. I haven't tried that, but it sounds good.

http://www.bastyr.edu/recipes/pecan-date-bon-bons <-- This one lists white miso as an ingredient. I've added miso to the "truffles" (aka, cookie dough bites) I've made before, and it works surprisingly well.

I think this recipe for no-bake chocolate chip cookies is what got me inspired to start making this type of thing. In this recipe she shapes them into the shape of a cookie.
http://natural-lifestyle-show.com/5/...vegan-too.html

This is a recipe I've used, changing some of it. It looks like the recipe is not up right now, but I found it on the wayback machine website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130509...e-dough-bites/

I hope these help!

gentlechristianmothers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (03-04-2015), Ms_Dahl (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
Ms_Dahl
Rose Trellis

I plan on trying the truffles very soon. I just need to get one or two ingredients from the store.

I made a tofu scramble this morning with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, different kinds of greens, tofu and some salt/pepper and garlic powder. It was really filling, I was good until early afternoon time frame.
flowermama (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSam View Post
I only use unrefined, but rarely, because I hate the taste/smell of coconut. I know it's good for me, but I just can't stand it.

Tomorrow I'm making something Indian. I don't know what yet.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Well, I made some more truffles today. My poor little boy was eating so many today that he started to get sick of them. So, he's going to wait awhile before eating any more today.

For the truffles I used almond butter, agave nectar, a banana, and coconut oil for the wet ingredients. I used carob powder, chia seeds, almond meal, cashew meal, flaxseed meal, oatmeal, and also some cashews and chocolate chips, for the dry ingredients.

I made soup (I love making soup) and tofu scramble (which I put on sandwiches). We also had sliced apples, pineapple, and green peppers (not mixed together, of course ).

gentlechristianmothers
Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches tonight!

gentlechristianmothers
Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #15
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

Lentil vegetable soup for lunch
Oven roasted asparagus with sliced sweet peppers, roasted radishes, roasted green beans and salad for dinner
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to L-Boogie For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-11-2015)