Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Married to DH since 2009, Two ginger DS babies 2013/2015, Chihuahua mom, Forever Changed

Godslilgirl225 is on a distinguished road
Default Cloth Diaper Washing in Soft Water

Anybody here have perfectly softened well water because of a water softener? We moved towards the end of the summer and I've been having a terrible time with super smelly diapers since! I want to blame the old machine in this rental, but I know our grandmother's had to hand wash or had less than awesome machines way back when.

My question is of you've got nearly perfectly soft water what detergent are you using (brand/type-liquid or power) and how much do I use? (you know, since soft water is nice and soft and silky and makes soaps last forever!)

I'm also curious, how long should the actual agitate part of the wash cycle be lasting in a top loading washer? I feel like even on the longest setting this machine doesn't agitate very long at all!

Thanks mamas!
The call to follow Christ is inextricably connected to the call to serve others in love. Who needs to experience the ministry of the body of Christ more than the insecure, the weak, and the helpless? Into our arms He delivers these new ones, and He is faithful to empower us to have all that we need to be His hands and feet to them." Spirit-Led Parenting
Godslilgirl225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
zeo2ski
Rosebud

zeo2ski will become famous soon enoughzeo2ski will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cloth Diaper Washing in Soft Water

Ah, but our grandmother's had cotton flats...

Sorry soft water is not something I've dealt with, but I know I've seen threads about it elsewhere. You may want to do an internet search as there are many diaper specific sites that have tons on suggestions and methods for all kinds of washing set ups.

Mama to '06, '08, '10, '12, '14, '15, ^'17^, '18 and former foster mama always missing '09, '11, '13, '11
zeo2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Married to DH since 2009, Two ginger DS babies 2013/2015, Chihuahua mom, Forever Changed

I have searched and searched online and asked on multiple forums. There's isn't much info out there on soft water washing, most ppl have hard water. We have concluded its the washer. And since we r renting we can't do anything about the washer. Taking a cloth diaper pause until we move into our new home! Thanks for your help!
The call to follow Christ is inextricably connected to the call to serve others in love. Who needs to experience the ministry of the body of Christ more than the insecure, the weak, and the helpless? Into our arms He delivers these new ones, and He is faithful to empower us to have all that we need to be His hands and feet to them." Spirit-Led Parenting
Old 03-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Sorry, I just saw this thread.

We cloth diapered for part of the time on well water with a water softener. Didn't have stink issues, but we also had a brand new front loading washing machine that worked great.

Glad you came up with a solution that works for you. Sometimes taking a break from cd'ing when it's not idea to be able to come back to it later is a great solution.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Delaluz
Seedling Rose

Delaluz is on a distinguished road

If you're on fb, try the fluff love and CD science group. They have all sorts of knowledge on wash routines and the "science" behind it. ☺They also have a website with all the info on there (that's in the group files) as well as a YouTube page. They saved my son's bottom (he kept getting rashes) and cloth diapers. I had to do disposables while I figured everything out.
Delaluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

WE have very soft water with well water and a whole house water softener. I hate that thing! DO you know how long it takes me to rinse my hair!?! Anyways . . . I use prefolds and wash with Tide Free Powder, about 2 T in a full load. I do a soak/prewash, then regular cycle on hot with the longest agitate possible (14 min maybe?) then a rinse and second rinse.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Sorry, I just saw this thread.

We cloth diapered for part of the time on well water with a water softener. Didn't have stink issues, but we also had a brand new front loading washing machine that worked great.

Glad you came up with a solution that works for you. Sometimes taking a break from cd'ing when it's not idea to be able to come back to it later is a great solution.
I'm hoping w a new machine when we move it'll change everything! And I can love cloth diapering again! Plus disposies small so so bad! Lol I will admit the break is kinda nice though

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaluz View Post
If you're on fb, try the fluff love and CD science group. They have all sorts of knowledge on wash routines and the "science" behind it. ☺They also have a website with all the info on there (that's in the group files) as well as a YouTube page. They saved my son's bottom (he kept getting rashes) and cloth diapers. I had to do disposables while I figured everything out.
Oh they've tried everything to help me. And most of their knowledge and files r for fixes in hard water. We aren't able to control the mintenece of the whole house softener since its a dual one between our rental and the landlords home. So the water may not be consistently kept up with combined w this ancient machine.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengirl19 View Post
WE have very soft water with well water and a whole house water softener. I hate that thing! DO you know how long it takes me to rinse my hair!?! Anyways . . . I use prefolds and wash with Tide Free Powder, about 2 T in a full load. I do a soak/prewash, then regular cycle on hot with the longest agitate possible (14 min maybe?) then a rinse and second rinse.
I'm so glad you've found something that works!! I love that my dry skin issues are back under control being in a home w soft water again (i grew up in this area) but oh man, the laundry diapering issues have been stressing me out! This is an expensive but nice break lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Godslilgirl225 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-04-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
Delaluz
Seedling Rose

Delaluz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslilgirl225 View Post
I'm hoping w a new machine when we move it'll change everything! And I can love cloth diapering again! Plus disposies small so so bad! Lol I will admit the break is kinda nice though

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Oh they've tried everything to help me. And most of their knowledge and files r for fixes in hard water. We aren't able to control the mintenece of the whole house softener since its a dual one between our rental and the landlords home. So the water may not be consistently kept up with combined w this ancient machine.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

I'm so glad you've found something that works!! I love that my dry skin issues are back under control being in a home w soft water again (i grew up in this area) but oh man, the laundry diapering issues have been stressing me out! This is an expensive but nice break lol
Oh OK. I hope it gets better when you move. I remember being incredibly frustrated when it seemed like cloth diapering wasn't working for us. Now things are better, but I use sposies when I leave the house. ☺
Delaluz is offline   Reply With Quote