Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #61
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are some of your reasons to HS?

Future HS'er here

All the usual reasons.

DH has some interesting reasons. Me, I just can't get my head around a reason have someone else teach my child.

How come we never hear anyone say "What are your reasons for not homeschooling?" Wait, I have heard that. This is a big HS'ing town.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #62
Saria

When I first decided to homeschool, it was simply because I looked at what our public schools had to offer and found them lacking. My oldest son is not cut out for sitting still and listening, and, when we toured the schools that we were looking at for him, we saw that, quite frankly, children like him were treated badly. They were either punished heavily, ignored, or treated like they didn't deserve the attention of the teachers because they could not be the "easy" student. I could never imagine my sweet little boy thriving in an environment like that.

Now that I've been homeschooling a while, I could give you a whole host of other reasons (most of which have already been covered, so I won't list them ), but the freedom to be together, doing what we want, to see my boys learning, all of it is so incredible.

But best of all, I know how my boys are being treated, and how their day is going. I don't have to put my trust in other people I don't know. There is just something about leaving my child, every day, with someone I don't know that sets off all my bells and whistles, KWIM? I made a point of never leaving my kids with people I didn't know and trust with my life, so why would it be okay now for me to just trust them with a new stranger every year?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #63
ziggyplaid
Rose Bouquet

Done is better than perfect

ziggyplaid will become famous soon enoughziggyplaid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I used to teach in the public school system. Nuff said.
ziggyplaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 AM   #64
FaroeIslandBabes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
Very good points. Last year I subbed in public schools about a half a dozen times. I let my oldest son (who is about to graduate from Abilene Christian as an education major sub for the kids). I was shocked as an ex-public school teacher how much things had deteriorated. I highly recommend to anybody who is thinking about homeschooling to read The Well Trained Mind.
do you know who the author is?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #65
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof2Wee1s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
Very good points. Last year I subbed in public schools about a half a dozen times. I let my oldest son (who is about to graduate from Abilene Christian as an education major sub for the kids). I was shocked as an ex-public school teacher how much things had deteriorated. I highly recommend to anybody who is thinking about homeschooling to read The Well Trained Mind.
do you know who the author is?
The Well Trained Mind is by Susan Wise Bauer I believe.
Teribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #66
FaroeIslandBabes

thanks Terri

I have always dreamed of homeschooling my kids...before they were even born! for all of the same reason that you ladies wrote...well, most anyway...but now that we live in the faroe islands where my hubby is from, I dont think I have that option here? except to homeschool them in English and american studies and maybe art or something...but they are only three and 6 months...we may very well move home again (my home in CT) so Id really like to know all I can about homeschooling...and I will be honest and say I dont know much...but Im learning alot from just being here
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #67
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good thread, I still like to read it, I especially like my first post in it was 2 years ago

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #68
mykidsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
This is a good thread, I still like to read it, I especially like my first post in it was 2 years ago
Oh wow, mine was in 2005, too.

I think I'll add (sort of furthering my previous education reason), that I know my son has learned what he's supposed to have learned. He doesn't move on from an assignment until it's an A, and there's no pressure, it's just our way of knowing he doesn't understand something. So, we go over it, and over it, until he gets it. My son learns everything that he is supposed to, nothing is missed or skipped over because the class has to move on... He's also ahead of his grade level, because we move at his pace. Sometimes we have to spend more time on one subject while we blow through others that are easy for him. School is really "all about him" and who HE is and what HE can do. I love knowing that he really "gets" school.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #69
3girlsboynames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teribear
I see an age appropriate innocence in homeschooled children that is absent in the conventionally schooled children that I know. I also see an ability to interact with people of all ages and races that isn't present (ironically...since the accusation I face often is that homeschooling in our area is racially motivated) in the conventionally schooled children that I know.
Oh my goodness, this is exactly why I want to homeschool! I see things that my older daughters are learning at even the Christian school that they attend now, and I don't like it! I want them to remain children with only age-appropriate concerns until the time is right for them to have other concerns.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #70
annettemarie

A big reason we homeschool is because my husband is a pastor, and his schedule is kind of crazy. He has off on Fridays. We did have our oldest in school for a while, and it felt like we hardly had any family time together. Having them home definitely makes it easier!

Also, when we pulled our oldest out, everything was geared towards the PSSA. We want them to be learning for the sake of learning, not learning to take a test. I know it's not like this everywhere, but it was really bad here.

We also wanted to make sure that God, learning, family, all those things were integrated into life, and not compartmentalized.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #71
oscaroscarmommy

Respect for the childrens natural abiltiy to teach themselves and a desire to protect them from the negative effects of forced schooling on the developing brain.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #72
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Quote:
A big reason we homeschool is because my husband is a pastor, and his schedule is kind of crazy. He has off on Fridays. We did have our oldest in school for a while, and it felt like we hardly had any family time together. Having them home definitely makes it easier!
That is a large motivation for us as well.
Our family doesn't run on a traditional Monday through Friday daytime schedule. It is confusing for my oldest to go back and forth from our natural family schedule and the school schedule. We feel it is very important for her to have access to daddy time when he is home which is often during regular school hours.

We have food issues that the school can't seem to enforce. I can't fathom how the ps would do with Bird's gluten intolerance that actually makes her sick not just act wonky.

We've found that the ps cannot really do anything to protect a child from a bully or stop the bullying. They don't have the time or the staff.

My 7 year old child is stressed out by the whole thing.
My middle child does not excel in a large group setting at all. If there are more than 10 kids at awana she doesn't participate. I can't imagine how it would be for her in a class of 18 kids and one teacher.

After seeing how my oldest went from a child with an intense desire to learn to a child who was praying for a snow day this week so she didn't have to go to school I knew we made the right decision.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #73
littlelady

Thank you for your honest thoughts. We have been considering homeschooling for some time (our children are under 2 so we have some time) and have been working through the decision. You've stated a number of motivations that I've had on my heart, but haven't had the words to express. These posts are encouraging to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #74
angelicmom

this is good! I think most of the reasons for me you all have said it... but I wanted to add, some times I think, grrrrrr I should just send them to school and have some peace in my life, and right there God reminds me that this is a labor of love and the easy way out is not the best for my kids, and what they will learn out there is probably not what I want for them.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #75
veggiegirl

Why do I homeschool? Because it is fun and why not?!