Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #16
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why would I chose paleo over vegan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
I want to come back and expand but my brief opinion is it's a journey toward finding what works for your particular body. Not all bodies react to food the same.
I *totally* agree with this! I think that some people thrive on a vegetarian diet, and some on paleo. The only thing I totally disagree on is that veganism is ever a healthy diet.

I also think that veganism is really the only diet out there that is completely reliant on importing foods from around the world and the environmental impact is very negative. I can be a vegetarian with entirely local foods and be very healthy. I can't do that with a vegan diet. It is absolutely impossible.

There are tons of links here, including scientific based peer research, debunking "The China Study" which is kind of the holy grail of vegan/vegetarian research.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-07-2012), Katigre (05-23-2012), mom2boys (05-07-2012), WanderingJuniper (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it's all been a very slow and deliberate journey that I've made over the last 6 years. First, I started buying organic produce - feeding pesticides to my little babies seemed like a bad idea. And our pediatrician advised us against buying conventional of the "dirty dozen"
Then, we started buying local meat - bc I have awesome veg friends who shared with me the grossness of industrial/grocery store meat. They cut out meat - I like our farmers and I really like meat! So we moved the focus of our meals away from meat.

We cut out gluten and industrial dairy bc I had a little guy who wasn't doing really well and I sought the help of a dr and GCM And that seems to be the first step. We missed milk terribly, so we found a farm where we could buy raw milk.

Then I found out that soy is terrible for you, especially if you have an endocrine issue - so I cut way back on nasty soy and cut out all the obvious sources.

So here I am Making bone broth bc I have delicious organic local meats, wondering how to ferment my veggies, eating well - much more like my great grandma then I did growing up. My kids feel better, I feel better, my husband is healthy - his cholesterol is low and he's keeping his weight nicely under 200#

Anyway - My point of sharing that with you is: stuff can come slowly. Pick one thing to do or add or cut out.
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AmyDoll For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (05-07-2012), BarefootBetsy (05-07-2012), Can'tTurnLeft (05-07-2012), DancingWithElves (05-07-2012), mom2boys (05-07-2012), ReedleBeetle (05-07-2012), Soliloquy (05-07-2012), sweetpeasmommy (05-11-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyDoll View Post

Anyway - My point of sharing that with you is: stuff can come slowly. Pick one thing to do or add or cut out.
Thanks! I need to remind myself/celebrate what I *am* doing on this path, instead of *should*-ing myself to death!
We buy our meat from a locker. I don't know if the cows are "free range" or 100% grassfed but I know the farmer who owned them, and I know they are let out to pasture most of the day. Right now that's good enough for me, kwim? I just can't imagine not eating meat; I was raised on a farm, so I have a healthy respect for animals. Although I tell dh that cows are cute and funny, but they are so dumb there's no way they were meant for anything but consumption.
I'm trying to figure out how to make convenience homemade, edible, and tasty. I don't think you can make the old favorites with new ingredients; that just turns out nasty. Tater tot casserole with TVP? BTDT no thank you!
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
IMO it's because when you look at the scope of human history paleo/primal wins out over vegan every time. In traditional cultures you cannot find a single one that is vegan, and you can find plenty that are paleo/primal.

I'm not here to knock veganism if someone feels it is working well for them . But I don't see any compelling historical evidence that it is the most ideal diet for the majority of humanity, and I see plenty of compelling historical evidence that paleo/primal eating (which is eating clean meats raised on the food they were intended to eat, animal fats, plants, vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, etc... (can include dairy, fruits, plant-based starches, etc...) - whole foods with lots of nutrients, protein, fats, vitamins, etc... is a very healthy way to eat.

I don't consider it a fad diet b/c it's not about dieting (in terms of temporary eating habits you do just for weight loss), instead it's about looking at food in a different way and changing habits long-term.
Perfectly stated.

It seems to support our biology a wholelto more than other ways of eating, in my opinion and experience

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-23-2012), mom2boys (05-07-2012), Soliloquy (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to make convenience homemade, edible, and tasty. I don't think you can make the old favorites with new ingredients; that just turns out nasty. Tater tot casserole with TVP? BTDT no thank you!
This is one of the hardest parts of leaving a SAD diet. We still crave the junk that we've filled our bodies with for years. Eventually your body will come to appreciate the healthier options and you won't like the taste of mainstream SAD foods. I can't eat any fast food anymore because of how salty it is. I even struggle with high end restaurants! But after quite a while you'll come to appreciate the taste of real and healthy food over highly processed foods.

And you'll still have some foods that you truly prefer the taste of the processed stuff. I have some homemade ketchup that I made a few years ago. Super high quality ingredients, fermented according to the recipes that all the super paleo/GAPS/Traditional Foods people love. I can't stand it on anything. I have Heinz in my fridge and I use it with glee.

For me, when I make a change, I typically make a big one and work backwards. Not always the best method, but I tend to be all or nothing on a lot of things But that method doesn't work well for everybody, perhaps not most people.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-07-2012), cbmk4 (05-07-2012), Damselfly (05-11-2012), mom2boys (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Okay, now that I'm at a keyboard and not my phone.

Why not Paleo/Primal for me? I have discovered that my body does not thrive on meat (pork, beef, bison, lamb, goat, venison) I can eat it maybe once a week in a small portion. Beef of any kind (yes, even local, grass-fed, pastured and certified organic) is migrain inducing. Conventional beef causes me severe digestive upset. "Good" beef causes me mild digestive upset. Chicken and fish are fine for me.

I also really hesitate to fully eliminate any food group without my body giving me a signal that I may need to evaluate that segment of my diet. I am well-tuned in to the signals my body gives and old enough now to admit I need to listen to them.

Why not vegan for me?
My point directly above relates to my reasons but not my whole reasoning. I cannot get the amount of protein my body needs as a vegan. Not at all. I can as an ovo-laco vegetarian.

And, quite frankly I don't like bone broth or many fermented foods. I've tried them. I don't like them and life is way too short to force myself to eat foods I don't like at all when there are so many whole healthy foods I enjoy and my body thrives on consuming.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (05-07-2012), cbmk4 (05-07-2012), crunchymum (05-07-2012), mom2boys (05-07-2012), thrillofhope (05-07-2012), TraceMama (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i want to chime in with some rather... ahem... out there stuff

i know a few thriving vegans and love them dearly while they do believe that their way of eating is healthy, it seems their convictions and spirituality is what truly drives the desire to exclude all animal products from their lives. i deeply respect that.

i have also observed them all to have particular similarities, energetically-speaking

i don't want my conviction to eat kosher questioned, even if some ppl believe i would really benefit from, oh, whatever, bacon? it's just not an option. i cannot go against what my soul tells me is right and so i leave my sweet dear vegans alone too.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-07-2012), Can'tTurnLeft (05-07-2012), jujubnme (05-07-2012), mom2boys (05-07-2012), Soliloquy (05-07-2012), thrillofhope (05-07-2012), TraceMama (05-07-2012), WanderingJuniper (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I have no desire to bash on vegans or any other diet. I'm just fat, tired, lazy, sick, and overwhelmed with all my options of how to not be those things any more!
INFP and DYT 3/2
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
i want to chime in with some rather... ahem... out there stuff

i know a few thriving vegans and love them dearly while they do believe that their way of eating is healthy, it seems their convictions and spirituality is what truly drives the desire to exclude all animal products from their lives. i deeply respect that.

i have also observed them all to have particular similarities, energetically-speaking

i don't want my conviction to eat kosher questioned, even if some ppl believe i would really benefit from, oh, whatever, bacon? it's just not an option. i cannot go against what my soul tells me is right and so i leave my sweet dear vegans alone too.
Ditto, except that I perceive energy things very differently and not as easily as you do.

To the OP, I don't think a paleo diet is right for everyone. I do believe that everyone will benefit from removing as many processed foods as they can.

If your dh has gout, which as I understand is autoimmune, you might want to read the GAPS book. Someone may be able to loan it to you, unfortunately it's $32.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mom2boys (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
mom2boys
Rose Garden

my library might have it-what the exact title? They also buy a lot of books I suggest.

Lisa, your post made me He's also diabetic...which we thankfully caught early about 10 or so years ago, but I am thinking this might have huge implications for his health!
INFP and DYT 3/2

Last edited by mom2boys; 05-07-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added another thought
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
my library might have it-what the exact title? They also buy a lot of books I suggest.

Lisa, your post made me He's also diabetic...which we thankfully caught early about 10 or so years ago, but I am thinking this might have huge implications for his health!
The full title is "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.

Your library is more likely to have "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. BTVC is not quite as good as GAPS but definitely worth reading.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mom2boys (05-11-2012)