Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Eye doctor and prescription glasses problem GOOD UPDATES-- Vision therapist

I don't wear glasses or contacts so this is all foreign to me.

G (14) just got her first pair of glasses. She has an astigmatism and also needed vision correction. I don't remember the specifics. Three of my four older kids got glasses but she's the only one having problems.

Right away, she said she had no depth perception and that they gave her headaches. She later corrected that to say they made her eyes hurt, like her eyes were straining. I called the office, they said she should wear them for a little bit each day, increasing the time, so her eyes could get used to them. That didn't help. I called again, they repeated the initial advice. Finally, I called and said she needs to be seen again. They checked the glasses. The prescription was made correctly. They checked her eyes again. The doctor said "her vision changed in one eye" (um, the glasses have been a problem from day one) but I didn't challenge that statement because I just wanted the glasses fixed.

They replaced one lens w/o charge. G puts them on. She said her eyes started hurting/feeling strained almost immediately.

Is this normal? Should we wait again for a few weeks?

I'll pay OOP to go to a different doctor if that is what it takes. Our vision insurance won't pay for another exam until September but I'll pay if it sounds like this doctor just isn't getting her prescription correct.

The other two kids have no problems with their glasses.

I just looked at the website and the doctor is an optometric physician.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 03-31-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye doctor and prescription glasses problem

Is one eye worse than the other? I have astigmatism and one eye is worse. I had a lot of trouble with glasses at first, everything was distorted, circles looked like ovals, it would look like the ground was sloping so walking felt funny. I was told it was because one of my eyes has a much stronger prescription than the other eye, they ended up giving me a weaker prescription than I actually need and it helps. I have no idea if that's the same problem your daughter is having though. The first place I went to was awful, they said they would only reexamine my eyes if I paid for a whole new exam. I wrote them a bad review online and never went back. I've had a better experience at chains SVS Vision and something I can't remember the name of, sorry, one of those chains they have everywhere.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, one eye is worse than the other. She's supposed to patch the stronger eye for 10 minutes a day. At the initial appt the doctor told me all the details but I don't remember them anymore. It's possible the astigmatism is only in one eye.

My other daughter also has one eye much worse than the other and is supposed to patch the good eye also. She's not having any problems. I wish I could remember the difference in their prescriptions.

I'm thinking that I just need to take her someplace else.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 02-15-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I highly advise a behavioral optometrist for a second opinion in this case. Search oepf.org or covd.org for someone near you.

Optometric physician is just a name that some states allow ODs to use. It doesn't mean anything different or special about them credential-wise.

Vision plans like Eyemed or VSP are not actually insurance and are only meant to be routine. Since she has amblyopia, a medical diagnosis, your medical insurance (BCBS, Aetna, etc themself, not an attached routine vision plan) should apply. At any rate, the best person for the job would be behavioral, or developmental (mean the same thing, just preference for what is used) if you find an office near you that takes your medical insurance.

If you would like to find out some info from the office I can give you a more specific opinion: 1) what was her old Rx, 2) vision through that, 3) currrent refraction and 4) best corrected vision and 5) new Rx (may or may not be exactly the same as current refraction).

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-28-2018), graciousmomma (02-15-2018), houseforjoy (03-28-2018), Llee (02-16-2018), Quiteria (02-15-2018), Soliloquy (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If you filled the RX at a discount place America's Best/WalMart it is very possible that they do not have the curves sitting just right in the frame for her eyes.

If she has a big curve adjustment, and not sitting in the right spot on her nose or the frame, straight lines like door frames can appear bowed, store shelve can look curved almost circular as you are walking past or dipping down. I have such a deep curve to my lenses that I finally gave up on WalMart type places when we added the bifocal. (I was getting sick to my stomach from the fish bowl type feel)

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Also, JICYDN, girls having their eyes examined while on their period will have a different vision when they get their glasses and they are off of their period. I learned that as a teen the hard way when I got my contacts. Boy was the RX way different.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-16-2018), Llee (02-16-2018), Quiteria (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Thank you Little Forest! I will look at that link. We do have VSP. Our regular health insurance is BCBS so maybe they'll cover what needs to be done. But, if they won't, I'll still take her in.

Her glasses weren't made at a discount place, it was right in the optometrist's office and an optician checked the alignment with her pupils and all of that.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

There are 2 choices, about 90 minutes from us. One of the doctors is listed at both sites. Does that mean anything? That, perhaps, he has more experience/training? Both are listed as certified in vision therapy.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

If it doesn't make any difference, I'm going to choose the one that's close to Trader Joe's.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Oh, I just remembered what the eye doctor said at the SECOND visit. She said one of G's eye is ever so slightly turned inward. She didn't pick up on that at the initial exam. It's so hard to keep all the info straight when I've got an active 2-year-old to manage at all of the appointments. I thought getting glasses was pretty straightforward-- you just go, get your glasses, and see better.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 02-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-16-2018), knitlove (02-15-2018), Little Forest (02-15-2018), Llee (02-16-2018), Quiteria (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

That could be very significant. I think the COVD will do better at catching that sort of thing (EDIT--I mean better than a regular optometrist), and figuring out whether anything needs tweaked the way the poster above needed a weaker prescription to even things out better. Vision therapy might be indicated to help adjust, like adding physical therapy to rehabilitate an injury even though a cast or brace may have been enough to heal a break or sprain, the muscles might need to relearn how to work properly or adjust to new limitations/abilities.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 03-28-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-16-2018), houseforjoy (03-28-2018), Little Forest (03-29-2018), Soliloquy (03-24-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I looked again, I know I have looked before when early bird first got glasses, at this sights and now a Dr poped up that would be reasnoble to go to. I am very happy with the care early bird has been getting. But now I am wondering if I could get a second opinion, as she is almost 9 and has a perscription of -4.75 and bigocals.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-16-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Default Re: Eye doctor and prescription glasses problem GREAT UPDATE

She had her first visit on Wednesday. It was for an eye exam. He said she has a LOT going on with her eyes doing separate things instead of working together. He asked if she had had a lot of ear infections as a child. She's never had even one. He said she needs a very different eye prescription than the one the regular optometrist gave her. I'm so thankful because she couldn't even wear those. She is seeing the vision therapist on Monday because she might benefit from prism lenses and to learn some exercises to do. My 2 year old was shrieking when he was trying to explain everything.

And, both appointments will be billed to our health insurance because of how her brain and eyes are interacting (or not interacting). I'm very thankful she's getting what she needs and it's going to be covered.

She also told me that she gets headaches EVERY time she rides in the car. I never knew that! She's 14! That should improve with the proper glasses and therapy. I'm making appointments for 2 of my other kids. I think this could be huge for our family.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

KarenBoo recommended this book in another thread and I bought it. 4 of my 5 kids have symptoms that could be from reflex integration issues. I knew that 2 of them did but was overwhelmed with where to start. I'm hoping that doing these at home will help with everything.

Linking here because it seems to be related.

https://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Refl...70_&dpSrc=srch
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-24-2018), graciousmomma (03-24-2018), heartofjoy (03-30-2018), knitlove (03-24-2018), Little Forest (03-25-2018), Quiteria (03-24-2018), sweetpeasmommy (03-24-2018), tempus vernum (03-24-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Her appointment with the vision therapist was very enlightening. She did significantly better on cognitive tasks and had better balance with prism lenses. She also is doing light therapy at home-- really dark lenses in cardboard frames that she wears for 10 minutes a day. That is supposed to help with peripheral vision and reduce light sensitivity. Her peripheral vision was very reduced in one eye.

We pick up her new glasses next week. They will be prism lenses. The eye doctor is reducing her prescription for far-sightedness, which she has in one eye. He explained why he's not correcting it as much as the other doctor did but I don't remember it very well. (I had all 5 kids with me.) One thing I know for sure, they'll continue to work with us so that she has glasses she can wear without getting sick.

I made appointments for 2 of my other kids. One of my kids told me that sometimes words float when she's reading. She's never told anyone before, she thought it was normal until she heard me going over the questionnaire with G.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-28-2018), everybody's mother (04-03-2018), graciousmomma (03-29-2018), Little Forest (03-28-2018), Llee (03-29-2018), Quiteria (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic update! Thanks and so glad for you.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I was having tons of issues with my new glasses and my doctor ordered a prism for one lens, and it helped so much. I also had to have him back off on my prescription in my bad eye. He had corrected it to be the dominant eye and it just isn't. My dominant eye is the one with better vision and my brain could not handle the change in dominance.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-28-2018), Little Forest (03-29-2018), Quiteria (03-28-2018), Soliloquy (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

We are 4 for 4 on school kids with glasses now. At the eye doc the other week, I heard him ask my kid who gets headaches whether he gets double vision, and he said yes. That would have been great to know any time, kid! I knew he needed a new prescription as soon as they could get us in, but it's really something the things they don't think to tell us until asked directly. One of mine used to always get in trouble in school for copying slowly off the board...not nearsighted, but her eyes lost focus for a second every time she switched distances back and forth.

We do the colored light therapy, too. It seems to have really helped, though I have a friend who thinks the results of the other exercises stick better. I figure we'll keep trying all of it, because it affects so much. Our doc sends stuff home, so it's not like paying through the nose for a million appointments, just the exams and follow up.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-29-2018)