Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice
Default How do you know?

Share with me some tips and advice on how you know if homeschooling is right for a child. My 9 y/o dd has anxiety and is wanting me to homeschool her. I meet with her teacher today to find out if she is having issues in class or if something else is going on. Homeschooling is on the table, I would love it, but I am afraid.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you know?

listen to your heart sounds so cliche! but i think instincts are really important. i'm all about homeschooling...so take this for what it's worth, but if my child were asking to be home, and it worked for our family, i'd do it! and have a lot of fun. because it is fun! and when it doesn't feel fun, then turn things around and have fun! if it's one thing my kids have taught me, is that having fun in life is soooo very important!! hugs. not an easy decision....and take what i've written that resonates and leave what doesn't behind. follow your heart!
CelticJourney (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-05-2014), milkmommy (09-06-2014), Vicki_T (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyT View Post
listen to your heart sounds so cliche! but i think instincts are really important. i'm all about homeschooling...so take this for what it's worth, but if my child were asking to be home, and it worked for our family, i'd do it! and have a lot of fun. because it is fun! and when it doesn't feel fun, then turn things around and have fun! if it's one thing my kids have taught me, is that having fun in life is soooo very important!! hugs. not an easy decision....and take what i've written that resonates and leave what doesn't behind. follow your heart!
I think educational choices are very much an extension of attachment parenting, you know your child, and you're familiar with what your instincts are saying.

I knew home schooling was the eight choice for my dd1, and right now it is the right choice for my other kids as well. They teach me more every day than I teach them and home schooling is just "right" for us right now.

like she said, it sounds cliché, but if your heart says to go for it- dive in! You don't have to be a teacher or know all the things to teach them... actually they learn so much with simple exposure and once they're reading in their own much of their education can be independently with great home schooling curriculums.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-05-2014), Vicki_T (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I am of the opinion that homeschooling is right for every child if t works out.Can take much stress off of sensitive or anxious children and you can be so flexible and find what works best for you and your child.What are your concerns? Would certainly try it if she is asking for it and dont be afraid - there are lots of resources and support to help you find your way.You may want to look at www.allinonehomeschool.com and find the FB group for that.Tons of info and support there and they have state by state groups to answer ll questions.Even if you dont end up using that program

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-05-2014), CelticJourney (09-05-2014), mommychem (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I'm also of the belief that it's the best approach to education for every child.

that doesn't mean that it's the choice every parent should make, or that every family is the ideal (or even safe) setting, or that every mom can or will homeschool, or anything I'm not actually saying.

It does mean that I believe every child learns best in a lower ratio environment that doesn't produce anxiety and can be tailored to their learning style.

And I believe that is most easily facilitated/accomplished in a homeschool setting.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-05-2014), Codi (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-05-2014), milkmommy (09-06-2014), mommychem (09-05-2014), Ms_Dahl (09-09-2014), Stonebeck Farm (09-06-2014), Tasmanian Saint (09-06-2014), ValiantJoy07 (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the question.

We didn't make the choice that homeschooling was right for the child. We made the decision that homeschooling was right for the *family.* I decided that homeschooling was what I wanted to do. Then it became my responsibility to make it work for the children I have.

Do you see what I mean?
I agree with mamacat and AOL. Homeschooling can work great for EVERY child. So if you think that homeschooling is what your child needs, then great! Decision made.

What are you afraid of? Perhaps we could address the specific issues?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-05-2014), CelticJourney (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-06-2014), mommychem (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice

Let me explain:
She is a very anxious kid, but doesn't exhibit this problem at school. I met with teachers this morning and they were shocked. She is a joy to teach, quiet, and their go-to kid for errands and jobs in class. She doesn't socialize much, with the exception being that she does socialize with her gifted peers. Which leads me to feel like she "needs the one to one ratio" that homeschooling provides. She wants to homeschool, and I think it is because she wants me to herself. Her siblings are in school also. We did homeschool in the past, and I enjoyed it. We were relaxed and I tried to make it as fun as I could. When my son came along and I knew he had issues and the kids wanted public school, we let them go back. This was ten years ago. This particular child has never homeschooled, but is excited about the possibility. She is struggling with math concepts, spelling, and comprehension. However, she has all A's and B's.
The issues I am afraid of are:
1- do I have what it takes, the knowledge and skill to homeschool?
2- what happens of she doesn't like it, she could be behind.

I have been researching and found the easy peasy schooling hand I LOVE IT. I would go this route with her and supplement where I found it necessary to do so.

I am torn about what to do next. For now the plan is to volunteer and spend extra time with her that way in class and possibly put her in counseling for the anxiety until the end of this semester.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulMom View Post
1- do I have what it takes, the knowledge and skill to homeschool?
Absolutely. And if you don't, you'll build it or learn it. I have no doubt. (Seriously, teachers aren't magical different kinds of beings. They're humans too. Some are super smart, most are pretty normal. Some are super patient, most are pretty normal...they went to school for *one year* to learn to be teachers. Much of what they learned is classroom management, which you don't even need. The rest of it, you can pick up easily. )

Quote:
2- what happens of she doesn't like it, she could be behind.
What happens if she doesn't like school, she could be behind...oh wait, that's what's happened!

Nothing's permanent. You can choose to put her back in school again if she hates it. Or if you hate it. As to being behind--well, she already is. Chances are good you can improve that substantially. It's not the grades that matter, it's the mastery of the subject. And she doesn't seem to have that right now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-06-2014), mommychem (09-05-2014), Vicki_T (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let me explain:
She is a very anxious kid, but doesn't exhibit this problem at school. I met with teachers this morning and they were shocked. She is a joy to teach, quiet, and their go-to kid for errands and jobs in class. She doesn't socialize much, with the exception being that she does socialize with her gifted peers. Which leads me to feel like she "needs the one to one ratio" that homeschooling provides. ......She is struggling with math concepts, spelling, and comprehension. However, she has all A's and B's.

I am torn about what to do next. For now the plan is to volunteer and spend extra time with her that way in class and possibly put her in counseling for the anxiety until the end of this semester.
I would consider if the fact that she is putting all her energy into being 'a joy to teach, quiet and helpful' in school is why she is showing her anxious side to you and struggling with academics. If she is getting good grades struggling, without the stuggle she might really blossom.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-05-2014), JoyfulMom (09-05-2014), Kiara.I (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-05-2014), sweetpeasmommy (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I was very much that way as a kid.Everyone thought was doing so great and made good grades but was an emotional mess.She wouldnt be asking if she didnt need it right now IMO. Why not give it a try?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-05-2014), JoyfulMom (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
She is a very anxious kid, but doesn't exhibit this problem at school.
I didn't either - the stress that took out of me left me a wreck

my heart hurts for children who have anxiety and have to work so hard to act normal and happy. I'm praying for wisdom for you
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-05-2014), JoyfulMom (09-05-2014), mamacat (09-05-2014), MercyInDisguise (09-06-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of reasons I choose to homeschool my children. I won't get into all of them right now because that would turn this post into a novel. Simply put, my husband and I felt that God was telling us that homeschooling was the best route for our children.

I was scared to homeschool too. I was sweating in places I didn't know had glands the day that I yanked my then-three-year-old son out of preschool. I worried that I wouldn't be able to do the job justice.

But then I realized, you know what? I teach my son every day of his life. I taught him to tie his shoes, I taught him to make his bed, I taught him to ride a bike, I taught him to say please and thank you. I've already been his teacher. The only difference with homeschooling is that we've added some geography, science, and history into the mix (and three more bodies to fit around the kitchen table. ).

I always say that God gave you your Mama gut for a reason. If your Mama gut is telling you that homeschooling is the way to go, then by all means, please do so. If your Mama gut says to look into public or private school, then do that. Your Mama gut already knows what's best for your kids, you just have to make your brain stop freaking you out about what your Mama gut is telling you.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (09-06-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let me explain:
She is a very anxious kid, but doesn't exhibit this problem at school. I met with teachers this morning and they were shocked. She is a joy to teach, quiet, and their go-to kid for errands and jobs in class. She doesn't socialize much, with the exception being that she does socialize with her gifted peers.
You could be describing me as a child. The reason, I now realize as an adult, is because all my anxiety was channeling inward.

Regardless of what you decide on the school issue, please consider having her treated for the anxiety.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (09-06-2014), mamacat (09-06-2014)