Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default What does Pearl actually teach?

Is there a website where I can read chapters from his book? I don't want to buy a copy or request it from the library I just need to know what he actually teaches so i can have an intelligent discussion about it with friends who think Pearl is wonderful They don't seem like child-beating moms, so I can't understand what they like about Pearl. Does he actually advocate hitting babies with a stick or what exactly?

I'm sure this topic has come up on this forum before. If you have a link to another thread that would answer my question, I'd appreciate it!

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does Pearl actually teach?

you used to be able to read his book online for free, but now it's not there anymore. i'm sure someone can summarize it for you, but it's truly one of the most sickening things i've ever read.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to a Christian anti-spanking site with lots of excerpts from TTUAC.

http://www.stoptherod.net/ttuac.html
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! That link is very helpful.

A friend told me that Pearl recommends buying a "plumbing line" at a hardware store for hitting children with. I repeated that to DH and he was like, "A what? There's no plumbing tool by that name. Does she mean a snake, the thing you use for unclogging a drain?"

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
keepinghome
Rose Bush

keepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the rough

I JUST bought a copy for 75 cents off half.com. (plus $3+ shipping ) I felt it was worth it to have a copy to mark all over
and Titus born Dec 2011
keepinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post

A friend told me that Pearl recommends buying a "plumbing line" at a hardware store for hitting children with. I repeated that to DH and he was like, "A what? There's no plumbing tool by that name. Does she mean a snake, the thing you use for unclogging a drain?"
Plumbing supply line. Yes, it's really at the hardware store and yes, they specifically say that is the thing to use because it causes a sting without leaving a bruise. Wouldn't want people to see bruises and suspect they're hitting their kids with 10 (that's the recommended number) swats at time.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
keepinghome
Rose Bush

keepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

In the news video on the Pearl-death they show it and say its a "1/4 inch plumbing supply line", I think. They actually don't mention it in the book (if I remember correctly), just on their website.
and Titus born Dec 2011
keepinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

It's a 1/4 inch type of tubing, used typically by plumbers, but it's probably a multi-use thing (although God knows it was never meant to be used on children). I don't think that it's called "plumbing line" officially, but I think most people who run to Lowes to buy it can ask for that and usually get aimed in the direction of the PVC tubing.

Be careful with reading. I know I've said this a lot recently, but when I started reading what they actually write (shortly after Gianna was born), it messed me up a lot, emotionally. Like, it affected my marriage, the way I interacted with a family member who seems to like the Pearls, etc. It was BAD. I wanted to get a primary source for my arguments against them, and it really shook me to the core- the Pearls are, I firmly believe, being used as a tool of Satan himself. My family member in law keeps trying to get DH to agree to take a copy of the book to at least look at it and decide for himself, but I've set the firm boundary that if the book ever shows up in my house at all for any reason, it's going in the fireplace with a hefty soaking of fuel and as many matches that I can throw at it. It's pure evil. I know another mom on these boards gave the book a shot a short while ago, and she had a similar visceral reaction. Make sure your faith is rock-solid, make sure you are surrounding yourself with people who can re-orient you spiritually and emotionally, and know when to put it down, whether you borrow it or read it or somehow come into contact with it somehow. I read it while it was still online, and that was still bad enough.
afternoonrain (02-21-2010), AngelaVA (02-22-2010), ArmsOfLove (02-20-2010), brandi (02-21-2010), duckwithoneleg (02-22-2010), Grower08 (02-21-2010), hopeforchange (02-20-2010), keepinghome (02-20-2010), mamamonkey (02-21-2010), momyshaver (02-21-2010), NewLeaf (02-20-2010), rosesnsnails (02-22-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-22-2010), sweetpeasmommy (02-20-2010), Taedareth (02-20-2010), TenderLovingWillow (02-21-2010), tofufoofoo (02-22-2010), Vicki_T (02-21-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Patrysha
Rose Trellis

Patrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

By plumbing line they mean plumbing supply line, it's not a tool but a tube used to supply water to faucets.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Patrysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing...
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to be careful if you read it. It can really mess you up and they are veeeery manipulative and it's easy to start believing what he says even while being sickened by what he advises.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
afternoonrain (02-21-2010), Blue Savannah (02-23-2010), duckwithoneleg (02-22-2010), momyshaver (02-21-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-22-2010), tofufoofoo (02-22-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrysha View Post
By plumbing line they mean plumbing supply line, it's not a tool but a tube used to supply water to faucets.
I think it's smaller than that...I have 1/4 inch inside my toilet...I think it's 1/2 inch under the sink. Anyways, it's a tube that water flows through, yes.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

It's called "1/4" plumbing supply line" on the Pearls' website.

If you want to *see* what it looks like, I posted a link to a video news story where they actually show it.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...34#post2913434
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Patrysha
Rose Trellis

Patrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiyank View Post
I think it's smaller than that...I have 1/4 inch inside my toilet...I think it's 1/2 inch under the sink. Anyways, it's a tube that water flows through, yes.
Ah yes, it does come in different sizes for different purposes (all involving the flow of water and waste and NOT the harming of children) the stuff that the Pearl's recommend would be more toilet sized than faucet sized.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Patrysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara View Post

Be careful with reading. I know I've said this a lot recently, but when I started reading what they actually write (shortly after Gianna was born), it messed me up a lot, emotionally. Like, it affected my marriage, the way I interacted with a family member who seems to like the Pearls, etc. It was BAD. I wanted to get a primary source for my arguments against them, and it really shook me to the core- the Pearls are, I firmly believe, being used as a tool of Satan himself. My family member in law keeps trying to get DH to agree to take a copy of the book to at least look at it and decide for himself, but I've set the firm boundary that if the book ever shows up in my house at all for any reason, it's going in the fireplace with a hefty soaking of fuel and as many matches that I can throw at it. It's pure evil. I know another mom on these boards gave the book a shot a short while ago, and she had a similar visceral reaction. Make sure your faith is rock-solid, make sure you are surrounding yourself with people who can re-orient you spiritually and emotionally, and know when to put it down, whether you borrow it or read it or somehow come into contact with it somehow. I read it while it was still online, and that was still bad enough.

even when i was HIGHLY punitive minded (before kids/pregnany with dd), i couldn't stomach the book and argued vehemently against it. it's vile.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote