Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #31
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Dobson ever said...

Not to mention the fact that DH and I KNOW where our salvation stands.... we likely will not know at what exact point our children will have a saving faith (when/if they reach that age of accountability before God without choosing to follow him) So my goodness please DH let me go to my GOD and save our kids in order for THEM to have the choice to follow God.

This has bothered me all day....
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-30-2011), Cook (03-30-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), Peridot (03-31-2011), rjy9343 (03-30-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #32
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjy9343 View Post
I have heard that the marital relationship is more important that than the children and never liked that, but have also heard that if my marriage suffers then my children will suffer because the marital relationship is the cornerstone of the family unit. That sort of makes sense as does the idea that DH and I will (presumably) be together long after the children leave so we should take time to nurture our relationship, but to do so to the point that we would not save our kids is just sick and twisted.
I think the underlying assumption that people have is that if the marital relationship is strong, that some of the children's needs will be back-burnered. Our marriage has never been stronger than those moments when I see my husband sacrificially giving to take care of our son - he could bring me roses and rub my back and hand-feed me strawberries and it wouldn't give me the warm fuzzies the way seeing him get up in the middle of the night and syringe feed our non-nursing newborn did
(Syringe feed, drop by drop by drop, while encouraging me to pump and helping me straighten out wires and holding me while I wailed in despair over our born-too-early son not nursing..and then get up and go to work the next day. He was horrified when someone suggested he sleep in another room - "I helped bring this child here, and she's going to work all day caring for him. What kind of selfish jerk would I have to be to make her do that all by herself!?!")

I guess I don't see why it has to be the marital relationship OR the children, you know? I know nobody here is arguing for that, but this line of thinking always makes me a little ragey

I mean, yes, God willing my husband and I will be living a long life together even after our son is grown and has his own place. But I'd have zero respect for him and no desire to be in relationship with him if he insisted on placing him and his needs on a pedestal above our son's very real needs

The Boy is almost 7.5, and certainly doesn't need the time consuming care he did as a newborn. He's old enough to be told "go grab a snack, Mom and Dad will be out in a little bit. We're, um, resting!" on the occasional Saturday morning But he's secure enough to take us at our word and know we'll be there for him because we cared for and met every one of his needs when he was an infant.

We still haven't been out on a 'date night' without him. I asked Dh the other day if it bothered him, and he went and then just laughed. I mean, we were married for over 6 years before we had The Boy. We've got, what - another 8.5 years before he's a legal adult? Time with him is precious, and fleeting, and we want to be with him as a family unit Plus, it's kind of sexy to flirt with my husband in ways that The Boy is too young to pick up on Our marriage is happy, and vibrant, and strong - and so is our relationship with our son
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Cook (03-30-2011), deena (03-30-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), krysmh (03-30-2011), kwisie (03-31-2011), Learnin'2B (04-04-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), nadezhda (03-31-2011), Peridot (03-31-2011), rjy9343 (03-31-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011), TraceMama (04-06-2011), Virginia (03-31-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #33
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

We were married nearly 10 years before Isaiah came into our lives. We weren't huge on date nights before him. Why are they so necessary now? We've been on one or two, but I certainly don't think they're any more special than taking the boy along with us. More quiet, perhaps.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krysmh For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (02-10-2012), rjy9343 (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #34
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
I think the underlying assumption that people have is that if the marital relationship is strong, that some of the children's needs will be back-burnered. Our marriage has never been stronger than those moments when I see my husband sacrificially giving to take care of our son - he could bring me roses and rub my back and hand-feed me strawberries and it wouldn't give me the warm fuzzies the way seeing him get up in the middle of the night and syringe feed our non-nursing newborn did
(Syringe feed, drop by drop by drop, while encouraging me to pump and helping me straighten out wires and holding me while I wailed in despair over our born-too-early son not nursing..and then get up and go to work the next day. He was horrified when someone suggested he sleep in another room - "I helped bring this child here, and she's going to work all day caring for him. What kind of selfish jerk would I have to be to make her do that all by herself!?!")

I guess I don't see why it has to be the marital relationship OR the children, you know? I know nobody here is arguing for that, but this line of thinking always makes me a little ragey

I mean, yes, God willing my husband and I will be living a long life together even after our son is grown and has his own place. But I'd have zero respect for him and no desire to be in relationship with him if he insisted on placing him and his needs on a pedestal above our son's very real needs

The Boy is almost 7.5, and certainly doesn't need the time consuming care he did as a newborn. He's old enough to be told "go grab a snack, Mom and Dad will be out in a little bit. We're, um, resting!" on the occasional Saturday morning But he's secure enough to take us at our word and know we'll be there for him because we cared for and met every one of his needs when he was an infant.

We still haven't been out on a 'date night' without him. I asked Dh the other day if it bothered him, and he went and then just laughed. I mean, we were married for over 6 years before we had The Boy. We've got, what - another 8.5 years before he's a legal adult? Time with him is precious, and fleeting, and we want to be with him as a family unit Plus, it's kind of sexy to flirt with my husband in ways that The Boy is too young to pick up on Our marriage is happy, and vibrant, and strong - and so is our relationship with our son
Sounds like he has a great heart and is willing and able to put others above himself. Sounds like the kind of parent I want to be. You married a keeper. I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't arguing that the marital relationship is the most important relationship in the family unit. Only that if it is suffering, then other areas of the family suffer. I was told this by two psychologists at a marriage seminar. I don't know if they were Christians or not, but their materials were all secular. The information wasn't emphasized, just mentioned as a reason to maintain your marriage. I don't think that date nights or leaving the kids was mentioned, how we got time to connect was up to us. I wonder if that tidbit was discovered, then twisted into the kids are replaceable bit we are hearing now. But I agree, why do I need to chose one over the other? DH can is self sufficient and does not need me like our daughter does. But that will change one day and I don't want to regret the things I did or did not do with or to her in the name of saving my marriage. My daughter is teething and busy, so I don't always finish my thoughts.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011), Virginia (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 AM   #35
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

no no - I wasn't saying you were arguing for that - more using it as a springboard to discuss more behind that philosophy I know you didn't mean that/believe that - or you wouldn't be here at GCM
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #36
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
no no - I wasn't saying you were arguing for that - more using it as a springboard to discuss more behind that philosophy I know you didn't mean that/believe that - or you wouldn't be here at GCM
Good. I was a little worried that maybe I was not as clear as I thought.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #37
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

you were, apparently I wasn't
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #38
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if [the marriage] is suffering, then other areas of the family suffer. I was told this by two psychologists... I wonder if that tidbit was discovered, then twisted into the kids are replaceable bit we are hearing now.
I could totally see something like that being twisted to support a Dobson theory.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #39
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

DH was just listening to someone talk about this last night!!! Some guy named Paul Washer. I told him then I'd have a HUGE problem if he saved me and not DS.

He's listening to a lot of random things right now, though- he is very AP, so no knocking my DH please
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #40
rjy9343
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by solatido View Post
DH was just listening to someone talk about this last night!!! Some guy named Paul Washer. I told him then I'd have a HUGE problem if he saved me and not DS.

He's listening to a lot of random things right now, though- he is very AP, so no knocking my DH please
I think it is great that he is listening to other views, that keeps him from being in an echo chamber and makes him think about what he believes. As long as he is not bringing the garbage into your lives, keep learning from odd sources.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
solatido (03-31-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #41
ProudHooahWife

I think in order to really know what was meant we would not just have to look at the words but also the context in which the words were meant. I have read where he spoke about going on a date night once a week and it was a suggestion, take it or leave it just like in ANY parenting book we are not going to agree 100 percent on EVERYTHING kwim? I never have done exactly what he suggested but I also do not think going on a date is wrong. I believe that being a wife and mother is the highest calling. If we do not nurture our marriages they will suffer which will have a chain affect. Now about spouses being more important then kids, again what was the context....was he referring to the marriage triangle with God first, our spouse second, and kids next? If so this is scripturally based. It does not mean that you lay a starving baby to the side because hubby wants his feet rubbed. We are called to submit to our husbands though.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
Learnin'2B
Rose Trellis

Learnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy88 View Post
I just heard this the other day on Focus on the Family on the radio. The speaker was saying that parents should love each other more than their kids!
Now...Julie Slatery...the new FotF host did not like the way he phrased it but she did agree that the parental relationship had to take priority over our relationship with our children.

I personally think that FotF has a lot of good resources....but I find I need to be very discerning.
Well, I'll be quite honest....in order for me to be a good mother, I MUST NOT focus on the relationship between me and my husband.

My mothering is separate, and IMHO, more important.

....don't know how that fits on the myth busting blog, but there it is.

Wife 2/9/2003-3/14/2012
Goo-Goo 9/17/2004 (corn free, peanut free)
Sweet Stuff 4/3/09 (dairy free, oat free, nut free) Pretty Girl 12/8/10 (egg free, nut free, dairy free, oat free until further notice) Little Man 12/23/14 (gluten and dairy free)

Messianic Bible Project for Jews: www.messianicbible.com
Endtime Bible Prophecy Ministry: www.endtime.com
Gospel For Asia: Reaching the most Unreached www.gfa.org
Learnin'2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Learnin'2B For This Useful Post:
Peridot (04-05-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #43
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
....was he referring to the marriage triangle with God first, our spouse second, and kids next? If so this is scripturally based.
I'm wondering which verse this is based on.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Aisling (04-06-2011), BarefootBetsy (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), krysmh (04-07-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #44
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

Just a slightly different angle from across the pond (we don't get any Dobson here...).

The whole thing about making sure your marriage is strong is something that is taught here a lot too - both in secular and in Christian circles. However, it doesn't have the icky by products that you have been talking about so far in this thread. The underlying assumption is simply that a strong marriage facilitates strong parenting and therefore healthy kids.

As for 'presenting a united front' - that might have been twisted as well. I remember well going to my mum to 'try again' when I got a 'no' about something from my dad and vice versa. If they hadn't been parenting from the same place (united front), imagine how confusing it would have been for me. Mum says 'no' but dad might always say 'yes'. That doesn't just undermine the other person, it confuses the child and creates real boundary issues.

However, I agree that the expression 'united front' sounds very adversarial

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #45
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
was he referring to the marriage triangle with God first, our spouse second, and kids next? If so this is scripturally based.
Agreeing with HL, if it is scripturally based, please list the scripture. I have seen lots of scripture of mutual submission and sacrifical love, but never on relational hierarchy.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011)