Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Dobson ever said...

I actually do agree with the idea that, if the relationship between husband and wife were suffering, the relationship with the kids would follow. I don't believe a suffering relationship with a child would have as assured a result in the marriage relationship.

However, I don't believe life forces us to choose so it's a moot point.

I find that, if a relationship is suffering and it's within my control whether it suffers or not, probably a lot of relationships are suffering because I need to work on me. The philosophy that says we'd have to choose one or the other is a sound bite, not wisdom born of experience.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
KSL (03-27-2011), Learnin'2B (04-04-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peridot View Post
AMy that was what I was thinking of, but I didn't realise my parents had heard it there. It HAD to have come from Dobson, becuase to my knowlege that is the only parenting guru my parents ever read.

My Dad gave us that speech almost verbatim one time when we were kids. I felt very sad when he told us that, but I squashed it, because of course my daddy had to be right, ykwim?

Now- I'd save my kids. And I'd expect DH to save our kids too. THey are small and less capable- I'm an adult for pete's sake. I am fully capable- and I can do some rescueing too.
Yep - my parents told me the same thing with the exact same scenario and the only "guru" they followed was Dobson. And I could've written the rest of your post too

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
nadezhda (03-31-2011), Peridot (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

I very vaguely recall that boat scenerio too...weirdness!
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momyshaver For This Useful Post:
Peridot (03-26-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

yup. Joyanne is right that he gives that date night advice...

This is something I wrote about the subject previously...

I disagree with the common Christian belief that the "marriage relationship" is above all others in the family. For instance it is sometime said that new parents should go out on a date every week as a way to put their marriage first. This seems ridiculous to me, that you have to leave your newborn child to get alone time with your mate to maintain a healthy marriage. The truth is that a family is an ever morphing group of loved ones. Everyone is always a different age, no one is ever in the same phase of life for very long. Sometimes one of the family requires more energy than the others. Sometimes the marriage is the focus of the family and sometimes it is the sick child or the newborn baby or dying elder. As long as your love for each other remains healthy and strong I don't see one relationship taking precedent over the others in a family.

A similar misguided belief is to "present a united front" to the children. This is usually in reference to discipline. I disagree with this philosophy vehemently because it's important to step in when a spouse over-reacts. Lets face it, we all lose our temper and over-react sometimes. And in the case of a person who is borderline- or fully abusive, it's, obviously, important for the spouse to stand up to that. The "united front" message cab be easily manipulated by the harsher parent to force the other to back down. Naturally you don't want to disagree in front of the children but it is going to happen. And if something is unfair, I won't wait to bring it up. We're a family. We'll talk it through right then and there.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-30-2011), bentlaj11 (11-16-2012), krysmh (03-30-2011), kwisie (03-30-2011), Learnin'2B (04-04-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), mokamoto (04-05-2011), momyshaver (04-05-2011), Peridot (03-30-2011), Soliloquy (04-06-2011), Tasmanian Saint (03-30-2011), Virginia (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about Dobson, but I know I heard Rainey say this on FOTF one day (my daughters can vouch for it, I nearly hit the roof - which was easy because we were in the car - and went on for 5 minutes about how wrong he was)

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
kwisie
Rose Garden

kwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
yup. Joyanne is right that he gives that date night advice...

This is something I wrote about the subject previously...

I disagree with the common Christian belief that the "marriage relationship" is above all others in the family. For instance it is sometime said that new parents should go out on a date every week as a way to put their marriage first. This seems ridiculous to me, that you have to leave your newborn child to get alone time with your mate to maintain a healthy marriage. The truth is that a family is an ever morphing group of loved ones. Everyone is always a different age, no one is ever in the same phase of life for very long. Sometimes one of the family requires more energy than the others. Sometimes the marriage is the focus of the family and sometimes it is the sick child or the newborn baby or dying elder. As long as your love for each other remains healthy and strong I don't see one relationship taking precedent over the others in a family.

A similar misguided belief is to "present a united front" to the children. This is usually in reference to discipline. I disagree with this philosophy vehemently because it's important to step in when a spouse over-reacts. Lets face it, we all lose our temper and over-react sometimes. And in the case of a person who is borderline- or fully abusive, it's, obviously, important for the spouse to stand up to that. The "united front" message cab be easily manipulated by the harsher parent to force the other to back down. Naturally you don't want to disagree in front of the children but it is going to happen. And if something is unfair, I won't wait to bring it up. We're a family. We'll talk it through right then and there.
Ooooh, the "united front" brings up very big feelings in me. There were times that my mom needed to stand up to my dad in front of us, not just later behind closed doors. I still feel the hurt of that, years later.

Wielder of the Sparkly Pencil of Sneak-Attack Silliness.
Flowery Sunshine Power Woman
kwisie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwisie For This Useful Post:
deena (03-30-2011), nadezhda (03-31-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.. I've never heard that about saving the wife instead of the child. I would be furious and it would completely wreck our marriage completely if DH chose me over the kids (when safety/life/death is concerned) and I think he would feel the same way.

Now, I do think that the focus should not be primarily on the kids in a family. There should be a nice mix of focus. Because seriously... and I know this has to have been said by SOME parenting guru at some point... I'm going to be with DH for the rest of my life, the kids are going to be leaving me in about 16 years from now or less (depending on which one it is) and while they'll still hopefully love me and visit and call, etc. They will have their own life! And I'll have MY own life with DH. So I can't just let me marriage take a back seat until the kids are gone... I have to actually keep up the friendship/marriage DURING that time.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (04-05-2011), pirandellian (04-03-2011), PlateauMama (03-31-2011), rjy9343 (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

The "united front" thing is affecting my marriage.. DH thinks I'm taking C's side if I don't agree with him.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #24
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read replies, but all I can remember from my Dobson using parents is co-sleeping being a big no-no because the bedroom is only for the couple. My mom did cosleep with me for two months though because I was such a HN baby.

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emerald Orchid For This Useful Post:
deena (03-30-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy View Post
The "united front" thing is affecting my marriage.. DH thinks I'm taking C's side if I don't agree with him.
(((hugs)))

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
Aubieirish
Deactivated

Mom to Venti, Grande, and Short

Aubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is very interesting to me for several reasons. Mainly because I can remember hearing this very thing growing up. My biological donor (this is what I refer to my father due to the fact he was not a Dad, nor a Father in any sense of the word) told me this several times. He was married to step-mother number 4 at the time and he told me in a very hateful and forceful way that if I ever got in the way of his relationship with her (step-mom) then I would be out of the picture so fast I wouldn't know what hit me. At the time we were attending a very traditional church and I could see how the culture would influence him to say that, and of course, he was a mean man.

I would be curious to find out if Dobson has said this or alludes to it.

~Heather~

Last edited by Aubieirish; 03-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Aubieirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

Wow. My parents were big Dobson fans. I don't think I was ever told the boat scenario, but I have vivid memories growing up of my dad doing and saying things that made it very clear my mom was more important than I was. He was a good dad. I was loved. But... this attitude and belief caused huge issues in me. And was, I believe, the start of a bad relationship with my mom. (We're good now, but not when I was living in their home.)

I'm still processing these issues now, at 30.

I'm trying to make my husband understand how unbalanced this point of view is. Looking forward to the blog post.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krysmh For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (04-05-2011), momyshaver (04-05-2011), rjy9343 (03-30-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I grew up hearing that children were interchangeable and could be easily be replaced (as if we were spare Lego parts or something!) but that the husband/wife relationship was the most important and could never be replaced I don't think my parents read Dobson until I was older, but that attitude has been prevalent in certain Christian circles for a long time

(And no, the opposite of that is not "children first, spouse a distant runner-up." It *is* possible to have a balanced family, where the center is God, and the needs of individuals within the family will each be more dominant at certain life stages )
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-30-2011), EMama (04-06-2011), Eowyn (04-06-2011), krysmh (03-30-2011), Learnin'2B (04-04-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), mokamoto (04-05-2011), MomtoJGJ (03-30-2011), momyshaver (04-05-2011), nadezhda (03-31-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Aubieirish
Deactivated

Mom to Venti, Grande, and Short

Aubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond reputeAubieirish has a reputation beyond repute

I always find it interesting as well because if we lived by this rule our 6 month old would be put so far on the back burner with her needs that she would be a sad and broken baby and later child as would our older two children. I just can't imagine doing that to them.
Aubieirish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aubieirish For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that the marital relationship is more important that than the children and never liked that, but have also heard that if my marriage suffers then my children will suffer because the marital relationship is the cornerstone of the family unit. That sort of makes sense as does the idea that DH and I will (presumably) be together long after the children leave so we should take time to nurture our relationship, but to do so to the point that we would not save our kids is just sick and twisted. In fact, if DH chose me over our daughter, I would divorce him because we have an ethical, moral and legal obligation to do the very best we can by our kids, and I could not live with someone that would abandon the weak while ignoring that obligation.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (03-30-2011)