Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #16
siberian

Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Generic brands are usually safe for CDing because they rarely have enzymes and optical brighteners since they are expensive ingredients.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Does Charlie's soap work good for hard water?
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #18
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFreeBaby
Does Charlie's soap work good for hard water?
From their site: http://charliesoap.com/faq/#q6

Quote:
All of our products are good in hard water, but no detergent is AS effective in hard water vs. soft water. We do not add the necessary chemicals to handle the hardest water problems because that would unnecessarily burden soft water areas with unneeded chemicals. However, we are glad to assist individuals in those areas with special needs to get the most satisfaction out of using our products by providing information on special procedures that may be necessary in those most difficult hard water areas. Please contact us if you are concerned about hard water.
There is more on that site under #2 about cloth diapers. They have been doing some research I guess because a lot of people were saying their babies were experiencing sensitive bums after using their detergent to wash their cloth dipes.

The home page does say it's good to wash out POOP, though! lol

My first answer was "NO, don't use SOAP when you have hard water! It builds up!" Because I made my own laundry soap awhile back and yes, it builds up a lot.
But looking at their site, it looks like it's not a true SOAP, people just recognize it by that name and they kept "SOAP" in the name.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #19
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

the link confuses me a little. I look at the things that are yellow starred & so many of them have optical brightners, then others who are only green except for optical brighteners don't have yellow stars. Is there more to the starring system than just the five categories listed? I am almost out of my curent laundry detergent (All Free & Clear) & knowing how lazy I am I want to use just one laundry detergent for everything so when I next buy I want to buy something I can use on cd's.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #20
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
the link confuses me a little. I look at the things that are yellow starred & so many of them have optical brightners, then others who are only green except for optical brighteners don't have yellow stars. Is there more to the starring system than just the five categories listed? I am almost out of my curent laundry detergent (All Free & Clear) & knowing how lazy I am I want to use just one laundry detergent for everything so when I next buy I want to buy something I can use on cd's.
I think the one(All Free & Clear) doesn't have yellow stars, even though all but one are green stars, is that it is known to cause problems with cloth diapering. They have an explanation underneath as to why it's not good. For the All, it causes wicking in Bummi-type covers(PUL?). I have experienced this first-hand, when they changed their formula and added the optical brighteners and my covers started wicking. I was so bummed.

I think most of them have an explanation as to any problems that are known to occur with use of a particular detergent.

I do know one thing, though. You DON'T want something with enzymes, because if for some reason your washer doesn't rinse COMPLETELY, some residue of those enzymes will remain and once baby pees, the enzymes will be reactivated and go to work on baby's skin. :/ I've experienced that as well. Took me a loooong time to figure out why ds was having these awful continual rashes.

I have been using Sun detergent (clean and fresh scent I think) and I think I am starting to have buildup issues. :/
FWIW, I found Purex Free and Clear in powdered form on my last detergent shopping trip and am trying that now for ALL of our laundry, rather than having different detergents for different purposes (I was washing my undies/bras and dd's clothes in All F&C b/c the other detergent made me itch ). I read the box and as far as I can tell, Purex F&C doesn't have enzymes or brighteners, so I think it will do the trick.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #21
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a similar chart, that may be easier to interpret: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

It also has some that the other doesn't, and pictures for everything, so that you can be sure you're looking at the right product.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
2TMama (03-03-2014)
Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the charts are good starts but really it comes down to experience. We use Charlies soap. I've alos never had issus diaper wise with Dreft but have with many others listed as good. We had the worst experence wit sports wash.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #23
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for this. I have to use purex because everything else gives me a rash so I am glad to find one that I can actually use on CD
"Bubba" 3/09
"Princess" 9/11
read about *some content may be sensitive*
my life
My Poetry
I am not the princess in the tower, I have slayed my own dragons. I am the queen of my country leading the way.
If you want me you need to walk beside me not in front of me or behind me.
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
siberian

I gave up on laundry detergent a long time ago. Now I just use Dawn and haven't had build-up, rashes or stinks ever since.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #25
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian
I gave up on laundry detergent a long time ago. Now I just use Dawn and haven't had build-up, rashes or stinks ever since.
and once again proof what works for one doesn't for another. I know plenty that swear by this but for us it caused horrid rashes and so much buildup it just about caused me to give up on CD. and really didn't help the stink.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #26
growingmommy

has anyone used the natural laundry det. recipe for washing CD's?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #27
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have the same brands available here. I'm trying to extrapolate from that list what I should be looking for (or not looking for) in a laundry soap.

So, I need soap that does not have optical brighteners, enzymes, or fabric softener. I already avoid fragrances & dyes. Anything else I should be avoiding?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingmommy
has anyone used the natural laundry det. recipe for washing CD's?
No, I haven't. I would be interested to know if someone has though.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #29
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax

was our recpie used on cloth diapers no issues with regards to them but we found our DD was really reacting to the Washing soda so we stopped..

Deanna
2TMama (07-09-2013)
Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #30
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmom
I don't have the same brands available here. I'm trying to extrapolate from that list what I should be looking for (or not looking for) in a laundry soap.

So, I need soap that does not have optical brighteners, enzymes, or fabric softener. I already avoid fragrances & dyes. Anything else I should be avoiding?
Enzymes are the super-baddie in that they are specifically for dissolving organic matter, which baby skin is made of. That's the most likely thing for anyone to react to when combined with wetness even if they aren't prone to allergic-type reactions at all.

Fabric softeners coat the stay dry layer of pocket diapers and cause water to repel. They can knock down the absorbency of diapers a little bit, but it's not a strong enough effect to eliminate a detergent with fabric softeners if you don't have pocket diapers.

A pp mentioned optical brighteners can cause bummis-type covers to wick.

Fabric softeners, brighteners, fragrances, and dyes are all potential sources of allergic reactions. Even if your baby isn't allergic now, the allergy could turn up later and its just easier to know those things are already not in the diaper detergent when you're trying to trouble-shoot a rash.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote