Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soup's On!

This is my most recent soup I've made up: Chicken Noodle Soup with Dumplings http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=375363

I can't remember if I shared the chicken chili soup my kids and I made up using our emergency food storage. My kids loooove this soup.

Chicken Chili
(crockpot version although you can make it on the stovetop using the same method but bring to boil, cover and lower to simmer until chicken is cooked through, about an hour makes really tender, fall-apart chicken)

3 chicken breasts (I take them straight out of the freezer individually frozen solid, I hate working with raw meat )
2 cans great northern beans, undrained
2 cans pinto beans, undrained
2 cans green enchilada sauce
1 can corn, drained
1 can chicken broth
1 can rotel
Season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder and cumin.
Toppings: crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and a squeeze of lime, we've done cilantro sometimes, too, if we have it on hand

Throw it all in the crockpot (except the toppings) and set on high for about four hours. Remove chicken and dice and add back to the pot. Serve with toppings. I can get this in the crockpot in five minutes and then take another five minutes to get the toppings prepped and the soup served. I love this on busy days. And for us, we can eat this for two meals.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (09-20-2012), ncsweetpea (09-19-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

This is my Thai Chicken Soup recipe. You should be able to find all of the ingredients at most local grocery stores (in my area at least...). Tastes just like the Tom Kha Gai we get at the Thai restaurant!

Thai-style Chicken Soup

Serves 4

1 t. vegetable oil
3 stalks lemongrass, remove tough outer leaves, halve the bottom 5" lengthwise and then slice thin crosswise (this can be omitted if you can't find lemongrass... but don't omit it if you can help it!)
3 shallots, chopped (about half a cup)
8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
3 T fish sauce
4 c. chicken broth
2 14-oz. cans coconut milk, well shaken/stirred
1 T. sugar
1/2 lb. sliced white mushrooms
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and sliced on the bias into 1/8"-thick pieces
3 T. lime juice (2-3 limes)
2 t. Thai red curry paste

Garnish:

1/2 c. cilantro leaves
2 seranno chiles, sliced thin
2 scallions sliced thin on the bias
1 lime cut into wedges

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add lemongrass, shallots, cilantro and 1 T. fish sauce; cook, stirring frequently until just softened (about 2-5 minutes). Stir in the broth and 1 can coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the flavors have blended (about 10 minutes). Pour the broth through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids. Wipe out saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.

Stir the remaining can of coconut milk and sugar into the broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium, add mushrooms and cook until tender (2-3 minutes). Add the chicken and cook, while stirring constantly, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 1-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Combine lime juice, curry paste and last 2 T. fish sauce in a small bowl; stir into soup. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chiles and scallions. Serve with lime wedges.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

P.S. I haven't made this since going primal... I'll probably drop the sugar now, but I haven't tried it yet that way. I do have a brand of fish sauce that doesn't have added sugar or other additives... Red Boat, I believe.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (09-20-2012), a good book under a tree (10-21-2012), cbmk4 (10-21-2012), ncsweetpea (09-20-2012), RiverRock (10-21-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

I soup

I made a beef vegetable soup last week. It has beef broth (homemade) beef off the soup bone I had, a can of whole tomatoes, sweet peas, turnips, and potatoes. I seasoned with some thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. It was yummy.

I am looking for a Albondigas soup if anyone has a recipe.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3boysforme For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (09-23-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely follow a recipe when making soup, but I love reading these for ideas!!

<------ steaming mug of soup

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

I have slow cooker French onion going now.

Sauté four large sliced onions in butter until transparent. Stir in 1 Tbsp of flour into them. Add to slow cooker. Pour in 6 cups beef broth or bouillion. One quick splash of hot sauce. Cook on high 4-5 hours. Or low 8-10. Ladle into bowls add toasted cubes of French bread. Cover with provolone and broil until melted.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncsweetpea For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (10-21-2012), Teacher Mom (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teacher Mom For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
GlacierLily
Rose Garden

“Overcoming what frightens you the most strengthens you the most.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo

GlacierLily has disabled reputation

Mama to our medical munchkin -3 (ASD,CHD, GDD medically complex & cognitively age 1 ) and super siblings !
GlacierLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

I'll resurrect it myself...

I'm making a Chicken Chili right now that is so easy and has my mouth watering...

Leftover pulled chicken from a roasted one
1 quart chicken broth
1 quart salsa or picanted
1 onion
1 bell pepper
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
3 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

Dice and saute onion and pepper and jalapeno. Then add everything else in and stir. Simmer until desired thickness.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncsweetpea For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds yummy!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

It was! Too spicy for the kids though....
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
nicholef

We just made this soup for lunch and it was incredible! It made a ton, flavorful and colorful. Would be great for guests. http://feastonthecheap.net/tuscan-sausage-soup/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (11-04-2012), SilverMoon (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholef View Post
We just made this soup for lunch and it was incredible! It made a ton, flavorful and colorful. Would be great for guests. http://feastonthecheap.net/tuscan-sausage-soup/
That looks delicious and so easy. Gonna make it soon. Thx!

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
mystweaver
Rose Trellis

mystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond repute

I have this Chicken Corn Chowder on the stove, with a whole pile of bacon waiting to go with it.
"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel
mystweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

Both of those look yummy! I think I can get GF shells...and I happen to have some turkey italian sausage...hmmm...

Today I made veggie beef. It was good.