Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bone Broth 101

Let's talk all things bone broth!! I searched, and there's no thread with any of this information all compiled together.

I make bone broth with soup bones from my butcher - sometimes they have meat on them, sometimes not.

I plunk it in my slow cooker, add a bunch of water, a couple big glugs of ACV, a head of garlic and a tablespoon of Real Salt. I put it on Low for 24 hrs or so, then let it cool and strain it. I usually make soup right away and only end up freezing about 1 ice-cube tray of the broth, but I'd like to use it more often since I've learned about it here on gcm.

I feed the meat to my toddler and use the broth to make soup. I've cooked some veggies in the broth before, and stir fry is yummy when you add some broth. But that's about it.

I'm intrigued by crushing the bones and using them for things - the bone in my last batch was crumbly after about 12 hours but I gave it to the dogs. Whoops. Now that I know you can use the bone, the one in this batch isn't getting crumbly at all even after 24 hours!
How do you use the bones?

Hit me with everything you do with your broth!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (11-11-2012), Glitterfish (09-13-2012), happyhousewife (03-15-2013), JenLovie (09-05-2012), LilacPhoenix (09-08-2012), Maedchen (09-05-2012), OnAMission (09-30-2012), PlateauMama (09-10-2012), PrincessAnika (09-08-2012), shekinah (09-05-2012), ValiantJoy07 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bone Broth 101

(of warm broth) Following along.
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JenLovie For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

I've only made it once. but I loved how it turned out!

I used this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHQ0...e_gdata_player

Basically, I roasted the bones until nice and golden brown, plunked them into a stock pot. Added a little salt, some bay leaves, and balsamic vinegar (the acid helps pull the minerals from the bones). Covered the bones with cold water, and brought it to a boil. Then I turned the heat the the lowest setting and let it simmer away for 3 days. The video says you can cook it for 5 days, but I did less. I think I read somewhere that it should be at least 2.

Anyway, it was soooooooo delicious. I'd like to try making bouillon sometime, too.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Oh, and I did give the bones to my dog.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

I do the same, sometimes I roast the bones sometimes I don't. It just depends on how much time I have. I do not grind the bones in either. Does it make that much of a difference nutritionally?

Jen- how does one make boullion? Is there a link to a how to? I use chicken boullion a lot and would love to do a homemade version.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3boysforme For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I just have such a hard time even finding bones. We dont have an old fashioned butcher here and the ONE grocery store that still deals with bones will not sell them or give them away. There is a wonderful but pricey grassfed beef place that sells the bones but they are costly.. One other little family ownedmarket has them sometimes but dont even like to get meat here.........

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 09-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of bones do you use for beef broth? I have only done chicken and turkey so far. I can get knuckles from my grocer, would that work?
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

kids are up gotta run
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
I do the same, sometimes I roast the bones sometimes I don't. It just depends on how much time I have. I do not grind the bones in either. Does it make that much of a difference nutritionally?

Jen- how does one make boullion? Is there a link to a how to? I use chicken boullion a lot and would love to do a homemade version.
I don't think it makes a difference nutritionally, I just think it adds taste and color. IMO everything is better roasted!

The video I linked has directions to making bouillon. Basically, after you've made the bone broth and scooped out the tallow, you make a reduction with the broth. that's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
What kind of bones do you use for beef broth? I have only done chicken and turkey so far. I can get knuckles from my grocer, would that work?
I just get beef "soup bones" at the grocer. I hear knuckles make great bone broth.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (09-08-2012), Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same boat. I can figure out chicken or turkey bones, but I have no idea what kind of beef bones and where to get them.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I think also getting "marrow" bones works.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

The Following User Says Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

I am IN LOVE with chicken bone broth. I make it once a week, and use half for soup right away and half for ice cube trays. I cook everything with the cubes these days. Rice, veggies, pasta sauces, taco meat, hmmm...can't think of anything else. Oh wait, I add it into mashed potatoes.

I want to try beef broth next.
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
simplegirl (09-12-2012), Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I'm in the same boat. I can figure out chicken or turkey bones, but I have no idea what kind of beef bones and where to get them.

I did do a beef broth after we had a whole rib roast for Christmas one year. It was a very good broth but obviously rib roasts are expensive to buy just for the bones
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

I've read that marrow bones are suppose to be very healthy (or is it the same as other bones?). I buy my beef bones from the hfs and I use chicken carcasses after a roast chicken for chicken broth.
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

mamacat, that stinks that you can't find any! Knuckles are good, but most places you just ask for soup bones and they know what you're talking about.

I'm going to poke Joy. She made ground-up-bones-popsicles for her boys. And I want to know more about it!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
mamacat (09-05-2012)