Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #31
Abibigail
Rose Garden

Abby-bigail! Not a-BIB-igail. :)

Abibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of soup do you like?

Ok, my soup was an accident. I didn't have enough potatoes for potato soup, so I threw some fresh sweet potatoes in. It was delish!

So...

In a stockpot, boil peeled potatoes. Rule of thumb is one potato per person eating and one for the pot. I boil an additional two sweet potatoes with that. In a separate skillet, sautee about half an onion, some celery, some carrots, and some garlic in butter.

When the potatoes are not quite soft enough to mash, drain the water, all but a cup or two. Add some broth, the veggies, a couple cups of milk, some more butter, about a cup of sour cream, and then salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes (but not all the way). Add in ham, if you want that. Add more milk, but eyeball it to get it to the consistency you like. Add in a can of cream of celery soup and mix it up. I've also been known to throw in some Velveeta at this point. Salt and pepper. Really, you may want to add more milk or broth or whatever at this point, depending on how thick you like it.
Single Mama to E, 12/06, and L, 07/08!

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
--Clementine Paddleford
Abibigail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abibigail For This Useful Post:
jewelmcjem (09-11-2010), Zooey (09-16-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #32
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I am printing off 5 new recipes! Two I plan to try this week.

Many of my soups I make without measuring, but I do have a few that come from recipes. BBL to post some of our family favourites.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

chicken & (fake) dumplings &
blackbean soup &
minestrone (don't have a good recipe, i eat it from the chunky soup cans )

it depends on my mood really.

my chicken and fake dumplings is basically a chicken soup (finely shredded carrots because i hate big chunks of carrots in my soup) and instead of doing dumplings i get a package of tortillas, cut them into little strips (1x2inch) and then put them all in a bag and coat them with flour. shake it up, and then dump them all into the soup. It makes the most delicious dumplings.

blackbean soup
1 onion (diced)
4 stalks celery (diced)
2Tbsp oil
4 cans blackbeans
1/2 bunch cilantro
3 lemons

cook onion and celery until the onion is transluscent, add blackbeans and half of your cilantro. Cook until warm, then blend half of the recipe (i usually stick an emersion blender in for a couple seconds, but the recipe says to take out half and put it n the blender) Mix it all back together, add the juice of 2 lemons

and you're done

garnish with lemon slices and cilantro.

Excellent with rice, devine with corn tortillas.
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadybugSam For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (09-15-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #34
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS View Post

The kids like any soup I put ABC pasta in...unless (for ds2) it contains green beans or greens
I this one. http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...meatball-soup/ It does have greens in it, but it is so fun to make and is really delicious. I always feel so good about myself while I am making it moreso than when I make other soups. I don't know why.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

My two favorites are

Beer Cheddar

Bacon and Chicken Dumpling Soup (we make veggie version but used to make the one with chicken/bacon and it was so unbelievably good. )
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm, beer cheddar soup. Soooooo good (ever tried it with smoked cheddar?)

I'm thinking of making some cabbage and tomato soup (not for the diet) to have for lunch this week.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #37
Starfox
Deactivated

Ain't nobody got time for perfection!

Starfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this thread is awesome! I'm thinking next weeks menu is going to be entirely made of soup.
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #38
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
I'm thinking of making some cabbage and tomato soup (not for the diet) to have for lunch this week.
Do you have a recipe?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #39
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

Potato soup with sour cream and cheese on top. My family's favorite is beef (well, it's usually venison)/tomato/vegetable with ABC noodles. We also love chicken noodles with the thick Reames frozen noodles.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #40
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favorite soups is also the simplest. I fill a big stock pot with water, add a couple heaping T's of Better than Chicken Bouillon, dump in about 1/2 a minced onion, a ton of minced garlic, and a whole roasting chicken. I let it cook on low for about 2 hours, after which I remove the chicken and remove the meat from the carcass. Then, I return the chix to the pot, squeeze in an entire lemon, taste for salt and pepper, shake in a bit of red pepper flakes, and then stir in about 4-6 oz of sour cream. It's fabulous...I could eat it everyday for days.
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
Serafine (09-13-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #41
Kindle Mama
Rose Trellis

Kindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond reputeKindle Mama has a reputation beyond repute

I made for tonight Cheddar Ale (Beer) Soup and it was SO good. I am SO a soup person and my family is not- I prefer creamy soups, but will eat all soups atleast once
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #42
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Spirited Duo, could you post your wild rice soup recipe when you get a chance? I think DH would love it.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #43
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Do you have a recipe?
Nope. I looked around but many seem to have onion soup mix in them. Too much salt for me. I'm going to use the low sodium beef broth and some vegetable juice that they call for, though. Beyond that it'll just be whatever veggies I have on hand. Right now that's onions, garlic, carrots, broccoli, cabbage and spinach.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #44
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

coming back for some recipes
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #45
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

Charla - so many of your recipes look y.u.m.m.y.

and tonight we're having your navy bean soup - smells delish, and tastes that way, too (I took a couple of sneak tastes so far ) I'm thinking that the black bean one might be next. THANKS!

will also check out a few other posted recipes. the cabbage and tomato sounds mmmm mmmm good
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
charla (09-14-2010)