Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homemade soup broth

Ok... so after reading up about remineralizing teeth I've decided I need to make some changes to my diet... and one being making soup broth...

Now, I've been reading a lot of recipes and it seems easy.... except one detail is missing that is vital to me (a learning to cook myself person)...

I intend to make chicken vegetable soup broth.... and the instructions always say something to the effect of cook the whole thing then remove the chicken bones.....

Um... how? And if you use a chicken carcass... what if little bits fall off during cooking... how do I find them in my broth if there are vegetables floating in there??
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Delaney
Climbing Rose

Delaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help me understand homemade soup broth making...

You want to remove the meat off the bone, so that you can eat it. If there are bits floating around with your bones as you cook it, that is fine.

After I cook my broth for a night or a day or 2, I strain everything so all I have is the liquid.
Mama to DS - 2007
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't the vegggies supposed to stay in the soup or am I supposed to strain them out too then?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homemade soup broth

We add the vegetables (other than the onions or garlic we add) after we make the bone broth. We fish out the bones and whatever bits are non-edible with a sifter type thing.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Delaney
Climbing Rose

Delaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud of

I would strain them out, or just not cook them for the broth. If I want vegetables in my soup, then I will add them when I make the soup and let them cook in that way. They will add nutrient and flavor to the soup not matter when you cook them in. I usually freeze a portion of my broth for a later time as well.
Mama to DS - 2007
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to add vegetables to your broth as you make it, you will want to strain all of that out of the broth along with the bones. Then, put the strained broth into the soup pot and begin again by adding in more fresh veggies for your soup.

What I *used to* do when I had a lot more space was I kept a bag in the freezer of all of my veggie scraps (carrot peelings, onion tops, celery cut-offs, etc.) and I would add that to my broth as I cooked the broth, then strain all of that out when the broth was done, and add fresh veggies to my soup. But now I just make broth with bones and water, then add veggies to my soups.

I know one lady on GCM who just cooks up her broth and then blends the whole batch in the blender so that the bones are blended into her broth. I've done that, and I don't care for the flavor. But that's not to say that some might enjoy it!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (11-11-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

That's weird.. I tried to post this 3 times in this section and it never appeared now suddenly here it is. LOL Now its double posted as I put it in the main section too... ooops.

I think I must be getting ahead of myself, or looking at recipes that are too complicated for simple me who has never made a soup before! I will go with just making the bone broth first and see how that goes! Certainly will make it easier to get the bones and bits out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (11-11-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Any veggies you add to broth don't get eaten. They get strained along with the bones. It cooks for so long that the nutrients from them are in the broth.

Once the broth is ready, it's ready to use like any packaged broth. You add it to new chicken and veggies.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
sosurreal09

The way I make bone broth is to make a roast chicken dinner the day before (eat what we can and strip the rest of the meat off after for chicken salad and what not) then put it in a shallow water bath in a crock pot (or similar appliance) and add 2tbsp white vinegar to soften the bone to release the nutrients. After a few hours like that all the water to the top and add spices if you wish. Then I let it cook 12 hours or so. It is very simple really. You don't have to worry about it being ruined