Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute
Default The word s*xy

Obviously not a word I really want my 3 and 5 year old to be using There has been some exposure to the word, via a cartoon that DH watches. Removing the cartoon in question... well lets just pretend we do end up doing that. They will still say the word. Is this a hill to die on, or should I just ignore when they use the word? I am the mom that is generally okay with her kids calling something stupid, or dumb...but for some reason s*xy just bugs the crud out of me...
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Striving4Grace
Deactivated

Striving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The word s*xy

Well, eventually they will have to learn that some words are inappropriate and this is, at least at this time of their lives, one of them. I'd just say something like "That's not a nice word to use right now. Try _______."
Striving4Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Striving4Grace For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (07-17-2010), Castle On A Cloud (07-16-2010)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

I ask them *what does that word mean?* and they tell me *Oh, it means if a girl is beautiful.* And I tell them *well then say beautiful...* I will tell them not to use that word, and they will ask why. I do tell them to use a different word, that the word s*xy is not a nice word to use, and they just ask why? I don't really know how to answer that
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Could you describe it in a way that maybe it's a word for beautiful that only daddy says to mommy? Probably not the best way to put it

I can understand you not wanting your kids to use it but the word itself doesn't bug me - like if someone called me s*xy it wouldn't bug me. I might tell them to get their head checked though

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-16-2010)
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Danae
Rose Blossom

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about

I've dealt with some sexual hangups as an adult and I don't ever want my 2yo daughter to feel negatively about sexual things. That said, I also have very strong opinions about what's appropriate for children (I turned off a cartoon the other day because the main character called another character a "hottie".) If my DD starting saying "sexy" or "hottie" or something similar, I'd be very matter-of-fact (no big reaction), tell her it's a word that grown-ups use, and help her find another word.
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Def dont want them to have issues with sexuality. I guess I do not have an issue with the word, in the right context/situation. When a 3 yo is any part of the situation, it's just not okay to me
Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Danae
Rose Blossom

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about

I'm totally with you! It's hard to find a balance. I want my DD to develop healthy attitudes about sex, but in general, I think children are over-sexualized in our society. I'm appalled by some of the clothing in the toddler girls' section and I don't like it that young male pop stars are being marketed to four-year-olds.
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danae For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-17-2010)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

At 3 and 5 it is hard (impossible?) for them to "get" why the word is not appropriate. Id just stick with a script like a pp posted above and not have a huge reaction. Just make it matter of factly that it is not something that is ok to say, but that XYZ are their options instead.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-17-2010), Drew (07-17-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Karen

I think I would tell them that beautiful or pretty are more respectful way to say it than sexy. None of the words are "bad" but there are better ways to say something. I don't think they have to, or even can, really get it at such a young age. I do think it is good to instill respectful and loving ways to communicate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-17-2010), Drew (07-17-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

We told them that sexy means "of or pertaining to sex" and that's inappropriate for a young child to be saying. If you think a woman is pretty , or beautiful , or cute , or talented , etc... it's okay to say those things.

We realized early on , especially with the neighbors we had at the time , it was impossible to keep our kids from hearing those things...but we could (for lack of a better word) "control" what our kids said in our home. "Influence" would be a better word than control.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-17-2010), Drew (07-17-2010), duckwithoneleg (07-17-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you brought this up. I just had a discussion with my 8 y.o. dd the other week about that word.

I emphasized that some people use that word to mean pretty, but that I thought it implied something different. To me, it means that emphasis is being placed on the appearance of a person's shape (like breasts or showing off too much skin.) We then talked about how some tv commercials show women scantily dressed to try to sell a product. It was a good opportunity to talk about how we respect others and respect God's creation and the difference between admiring someone's beauty and looking at them as an object.

Not sure if she got every nuance of the conversation, but I think she understood most of it.
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
April G (07-22-2010), Castle On A Cloud (07-18-2010), Codi (07-17-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #12
AppleSauceCookies
Deactivated

AppleSauceCookies will become famous soon enough

Last edited by AppleSauceCookies; 03-08-2011 at 03:06 PM.
AppleSauceCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AppleSauceCookies For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-23-2010), newday (03-08-2011)
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #13
Indigo
Climbing Rose

Indigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to behold

Yes, my kids have picked up that word too... from the Swiffer commercial! "Who's that lady? Sexy lady." They think it's hysterical that the mop is singing to the Swiffer. I also cringe when I hear them say it. I have told them it is a grown up word, for older boyfriends/girlfriends and husbands/wives. It means that one is attractive to another. But that it is not appropriate for children to say. (My crew is a little older than yours OP, so they understand where I'm coming from. We've had other talks about TV shows that are too "boyfriend/girlfriendish" for them to watch.) I encourage them to come up with other words to use. HTH.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indigo For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (07-23-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

what about playing it up and saying something completely random like, "Oh, yeah, so beautiful, with those purple lips and green hair. I think that we need to eat potatoes like that every day." I find that if I completely bewilder my children, they forget what they said and it isn't something they keep saying. I've been doing stuff like that when they call me "stupid mommy."

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh... we went through a "sexy" phase with ds about a year ago. Frustrating to deal with, and ultimately prompted doing some beginner sex-ed.

Now at almost 7 he used the f-word yesterday (thanks to a lovely little boy he's friends with at school whose father uses the word regularly ). We had a very serious talk about language and how totally inappropriate that word is.
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to April G For This Useful Post: