Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default What are your favourite cloth diapers! 2016

WOW! Time flies! Our most recent cloth diaper thread detailing our faves is already 5 years old! Those newborns are now in kindergarten!

Since the cloth diapering world is forever changing, and there are always new people cycling in and out, let's talk fave diapers again! What systems have you tried? What have you loved? What is your go to? And what brands are your absolute faves?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your favourite cloth diapers! 2016

We've tried a few different options over the past ten years, but we always come back to a simple prefold and PUL cover with snaps (not velcro). I've been happiest with Bummis organic cotton prefolds and Duo-Brite Wraps.

I love wool covers but I was bad at the upkeep, especially after the second baby arrived.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

We've always come back to prefolds and a basic cover (used to be proraps, but the past two kids it was thirsties). I do like the baby-size prefolds from clothdiaper.com (and I'm actually near the store so I've bought factory seconds).

I always kept wondering if I'd be happier with something else, maybe something with a trimmer profile like an all-in-two, but those are lots more expensive, too. I had a few other things, too, like I had six g-diapers and I did like how trim they were. I've even been known to fold a prefold in thirds and stick it into a g-diaper cover. That's actually a pretty good method and gets more absorbancy where it is needed.

What I don't like about fancier diapers is how hard they are to dry. The junctions where things come together stay wet. And I never got the hype with pockets- they say you can adjust absorbency but you can do that with any diaper by adding more layers and I never liked stuffing them (and unstuffing them).

There's something about stacking clean prefolds that is very soothing to me- sort-of a nice sensory experience.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a dryer, so flats have always been my mainstay. Plus prefolds for nighttime and extra daytime absorbancy for toddlers. I'm still using GMD prefolds but my flats are now all OsoCozy.
I do the origami fold with Snappies, although I'm still using a diaper pin with my 9mo.
Covers... I like Thirsties Duo Size 1 for babies. A Flip cover for night. I like a mixture of snaps and Velcro. For older kids I'm not so sure, I kept having PUL failure with my Size 2s. I think I've settled on Econobum as my favourite cover. I need to buy more because my 9mo is getting too big for her covers, and the 2yo isn't going to be toilet-trained for a while. I'm procrastinating because I'm hoping Cotton Babies will have a sale.

I did love my Aristocrats wool cover for night, and then I bought a second smaller one secondhand, and then stopped using them.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Before get developed a sensitivity to the lining we loved our Alva pockets with blueberry hemp/microfiber inserts. We did need an additional booster but it was still really slim.

As always we've defaulted back to our good old flats and prefolds. Cotton terry flats (junior joy and Boots) flour sack towels my uncle brought back from the US with a slim bamboo booster. My prefolds are a combination of tommee tippee cotton bottoms (which I think got taken over by bummis) and bambino mio. If I could start over I think is get the brand that is shorter and wider to make folding that but less complicated.

For covers we like Motherease and Nature Babies classics, although all of those have worn out now so I'm excited to try some new ones. I have 2 bummis pull on pants, 2 blueberry capri's, 2 cheapie Capri knock offs and a rumparooz on order (the rumparooz was 90% because they so tokidoki prints )

When SB was tiny someone gifted us an itty bitty d'lish snap in one size small that I loved because it was easy, super absorbent and very very trim. I tried to buy more but they're discontinued. While looking for covers today I found a site that has them in size medium still so I ordered two, even though SB only has 3 lb until he hits the weight limit. He grows slow though and eventually baby no3 might wear them.

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Last edited by Earthmummy07; 11-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I tried a ton of different kinds with C at first. I finally settled on flip covers and inserts, and I've been super happy with them. Bumgenius's stretchy tabs make a huge difference in getting a good fit.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

My all time favorite covers are the Grovia, they've fit my last two babies so well.

Trivia with Green Mountain pretzels and Thirsties Large Hemp Doublers, i love hemp doublers!

I don't like the flip covers, I loved them with dd3, but they haven't fit ds well which has been frustrating.
We're only cloth diapering part time right now.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
Trixie
Rose Blossom

Trixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura about

I love my flats. I love knowing that my flats are clean after a wash and they dry super quick. I have a few pockets and all-in-ones I bought for when others are watching the baby. I don't like how hard the all-in-ones are to dry. It makes you wonder if they are really getting clean in there. I sometimes wonder about pre-fold, but flats were just so much cheaper and it isn't that much extra work. I cut about a dozen of them in half to use as doublers and it has been working great.

My hands down favorite covers are thirsties. They fit the best without a lot of loose bulk and just seem better made than the bummis or flip covers I have. I prefer velcro to snaps for ease of fastening to a wiggly baby. Plus I think snaps are more difficult for the nursery and relatives to figure out.

Mother to
David 2006
Sunshine 2007
Dragon 2008
Mario 2009
Happy 2014
Josiah 2015
Sirena 2016
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trixie For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have only tried a handful of brands, but have been pleased with kawaii and alva pockets i got them all for great prices and they do the job

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:16 AM   #11
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

bump
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I like Sandy's fitted diapers once they are crawling/walking. They have snaps. I don't put a cover over it and can change right away when wet.

I used Bum Genius All in Ones with my son because I wanted trim fitting diapers, so he could wear regular pants in his size. I bought them as seconds, so they weren't expensive. My sister is using them now.

I used mostly prefolds and diaper pins with my daughter (and changed hourly because of EC...put diaper back on if dry).

When we traveled away from home for 3 weeks when she was little, I brought my cloth. I hate disposables that much. The chemicals. :shudder

I don't know which ones will be my favorite. I have quite the collection.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting over with cloth. DD is 6 now and we got rid of the last of her stash about a year ago. Luckily I sold them super cheap to a friend whose baby is now 2 months old. So I am hoping as she outgrows we can get some back, also super cheap

What I am buying now are things I loved before. Green Mountain Diapers workhorse fitteds, some with snaps for going diaper free and some without which extends their fit leeway a bit, ime. I'm planning on Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap covers for the most part as well. I like snaps so that I do not have to maintain hook and loops. I will also get some AIO or AI2s for out and about when changing tables are or lacking.

I am going to try using flats as well, which I never really got into before.

As baby gets bigger we may get Mother Ease fitteds and covers. I loved them last time, especially the fitteds with fleece longies in winter.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

Good mamas. I really loved some I got from a co-op called happy flute. They were pocket diapers with charcoal bamboo inserts

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

Any recommendations for best prefolds and flats? And for those who use flats do you find they aren't absorbent enough as baby gets bigger? Do you switch to prefolds later on?
2sunshines (02-06-2017)