Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default More lunch ideas to pack

Margaret is doing a ballet summer intensive. Her schedule is basically 10:30am-4:30pm

30 minute conditioning class
1.5 hr ballet class
45 lunch
1 hour class (this week rotates between hip hop\ pre Pointe
45 academic based class (varies) today they studied swan lake
15minute break
1 hour ballet

Today I packed her a sunbutter/jam sandwich, cucumber slices, blueberries, a snack bag sized trail mix with granola, banana chips almonds and raisins and a Lara had plus her water bottle.. It was more food than she typically eats and was assuming she'd have extra for like snack time of car ride home.. Nope she ate every bite and said she needed more food.

School has no restrictions they just ask for a light lunch.. Which doesn't mean low calorie but nothing too heavy..for obvious reasons. She can't do gluten or dairy and we try to reasonably stay peanut free...So suggestions?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More lunch ideas to pack

More protein/healthy fats? Help her stay full longer.
Can she do hummus or avocado/guacamole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
More protein/healthy fats? Help her stay full longer.
Can she do hummus or avocado/guacamole?

She doesn't like either unfortunately. I think your right with the protein fats but I'm unsure how.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
She doesn't like either unfortunately. I think your right with the protein fats but I'm unsure how.

That’s a very physically strenuous schedule for her to not be consuming more protein in my not expert opinion Carbs and sugars burn up so fast!

Tuna, shredded chicken (I was going to say chicken salad but y’all are DF), beans, lunch meat— all things I’ve packed for my DD for lunch.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

String cheese would be good or cheese slices.

Scratch that- just re-read that no dairy! Sorry!
What about non-dairy/soy yogurt? Maybe with granola or fruit mixed in?

Last edited by esperanza; 07-08-2019 at 08:48 PM.
esperanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That’s a very physically strenuous schedule for her to not be consuming more protein in my not expert opinion Carbs and sugars burn up so fast!

Tuna, shredded chicken (I was going to say chicken salad but y’all are DF), beans, lunch meat— all things I’ve packed for my DD for lunch.

I do chicken salid that is dairy free. Today my girls had tuna salid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #7
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:

We can do a chicken salad, might pick up a rotisserie tomorrow do do that. Totally agree she needs more protein...

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
String cheese would be good or cheese slices.

Scratch that- just re-read that no dairy! Sorry!
What about non-dairy/soy yogurt? Maybe with granola or fruit mixed in?
She's adding some soy based yogurt to her breakfast (I'm making eggs for her).

Tomorrow I have packed with her help
Sandwich with Turkey df cheese and bacon on a buttered gf roll
Cherry tomatoes and carrots
Apple/banana pouch
Kind protein bar carby still but 12g protein and 4g fat
Granola trail mix

Hopefully this will help the her over till dinner.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Will she eat salami sticks? That is my go to thing for lunches out of the house.

Never tried them. I'll give it a go we have three weeks of this.
It's like the ultimate picky eater cure though.. For dinner was had baked chicken with brown rice roasted zucchini and green beans.. Normally she'll eat maybe 1/3 a chicken thigh poke at s slice on zucchini eat a hand full of beans and move rice around her plate..

Today she ate 2 thighs and some of one of mine.. A decent sized scoop of rice went back for seconds on zucchini and thirds on the beans and then had some Apple slices with peanut butter for dessert.
knitlove (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I agree with upping the protein.

Meat sticks. Pieces of luncheon meat with gluten free crackers. a wide variety of nuts.

My kids love a mixture of nuts and dairy free chocolate chips. You're staying peanut free, but do you do other nuts? Almonds? Cashews? Cashews are high in fat so we love those.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-09-2019), Virginia (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Will she eat salami sticks? That is my go to thing for lunches out of the house.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:08 AM   #10
Virginia
Rose Garden

Does she eat a decent breakfast with protein? That should help.
(I am not a huge breakfast person, but I definitely have found that eating eggs for breakfast helps me not get hungry again so early)

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Does she eat a decent breakfast with protein? That should help.
(I am not a huge breakfast person, but I definitely have found that eating eggs for breakfast helps me not get hungry again so early)

She's been having two scrambled eggs a slice of bacon and a soy yogurt cup with some frozen berries for breakfast.She says she is good till lunch. She has break around9/ 9:30am then lunch around 12:30 but then continues in classes till 4:30 (small break around 3).
I've asked if she can eat during her small break and she says yes if they have something.. I might start purposely packing her a second small snack so she'll have have something to the her till dinner.

Last edited by milkmommy; 07-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.
milkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milkmommy For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

OH yes! I am glad you thought of hard boiled eggs for lunch. That's a great protein booster.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #13
amommy23
Rosebud

amommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really nice

What about pasta salad? One Of my daughters plays softball, and we have found pasta salad is one thing she will eat well during long hot tournaments. I just do a quick Italian dressing over noodles and add in olives and mozzarella pearls. You could maybe adjust it for your daughter’s dietary needs by using gluten free noodles and omitting the cheese. Some noodles have added protein or you could add in mini pepperoni or even cubed chicken.

Last edited by amommy23; 07-10-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added the last sentence.
amommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #14
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amommy23 View Post
What about pasta salad? One Of my daughters plays softball, and we have found pasta salad is one thing she will eat well during long hot tournaments. I just do a quick Italian dressing over noodles and add in olives and mozzarella pearls. You could maybe adjust it for your daughter’s dietary needs by using gluten free noodles and omitting the cheese. Some noodles have added protein or you could add in mini pepperoni or even cubed chicken.
I was planning on doing some gf pasta with some grilled chicken for tomorrow she can handle pure butter fine in small amounts so was thinking of doing buttered noodles with the chicken.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #15
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said she doesn't like hummus, but would she eat straight chickpeas? My kids like a salad of chick peas/garbanzo beans dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Or you could toss a few into a pasta salad.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (07-11-2019), teamommy (07-11-2019), Virginia (07-11-2019)