Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which dog breeds should we consider?

We are considering searching for a puppy this spring. I do have two rescue pets and am aware of rescues and all it entails however this pet, for a variety of reasons, will likely be a purchased pup from a breeder.

We want a dog that can bond with our whole family instead of being my dog as our current dog is, that will allow my husband to run with it and my older child to walk it and will sleep in our lower level with our older child. We want a playful non timid happy dog. My daughter really wants a lab or a lab golden retriever mix. I really love labs and am considering it but I am a bit concerned that our house and yard could be a little small for a lab and that my daughter herself who is small for her age might be a bit small to handle a lab.

Logistically I need a dog I can eventually train to use our invisible fence so beagles and bassets are out. I would also prefer a dog that doesn't need it's hair cut frequently but that's not entirely a deal breaker if everything else is a good fit.

Which other breeds or mixes should we consider?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which dog breeds should we consider?

I'm not sure about a pure breed, but my Rottweiler mix is the more 'people oriented' dog I think we've ever had. Probably on line with our German Shepard, but he was dh's working dog, so it was a different dynamic.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

we have both a pug and a boxer. Both are super friendly, sweet and love on all the kids. I think that these are two really awesome breeds. They are also both very playful with the kids, which they like a lot.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute

I always loved my Schipperke growing up... but we always had solid fencing, so I don't know what they would be like with invisible fencing. We had a couple of Miniature Poodles over the years - one was VERY bonded to my mom, but she also had sight issues, so that may have been more about her own security - but our second one was very people-oriented in general, happy go lucky. But they do require either a tripbto a groomer or learning to do it yourself. I can't remember how large a Standard Poodle tops out - they are taller, but I know they wouldn't be as heavy as a Lab.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

English Shepherds are around the right size, but I don't have personal experience with them (yet). You can check out farmcollie.org ... or. Com ... I can't recall which it is. Lots of good info, though.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Hannah Elise For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best things you can do is find a breed you might be interested in and then find a reputable breeder to call and ask, "Why shouldn't we get this dog?"

Finding a breed with positive traits (low shedding, patient with kids) is a good start, but it's the potentially 'negative' traits (requires a lot of exercise, likes to chew, chases small animals) that will make or break your experience with a dog, and a good breeder will have no problem telling you right up front those issues that you'll want to consider
AngelaVA (01-29-2015), bananacake (02-04-2015), CelticJourney (01-29-2015), Hannah Elise (01-29-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-05-2015), TraceMama (02-04-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

My female boxer doesn't need a fence, though from the local lost pets page I see that male boxers have more of a wanderlust. She's incredibly sweet and friendly, though food aggressive to other dogs, my kids can hand feed her just fine. She's been mostly easy to train. (with the exception of chewing everything she finds left on the floor and having to be fed separate from the other dog.)
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-29-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
SpringMama5
Rosebud

SpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the rough

We have a corgi mix from a shelter that we never expected would last in our home but hes been one of the best dogs we've had. He loves hanging out with the kids and for down time follows me around. Haha!
Reason why we didnt think he would last is because...we've never liked corgis: normal sized body but short legs. He's mixed with german shephard so not sure where his personality comes from. German shephards are the best breed so I guess I got the mini version.
Animal planet website has a (i think its called) what is the best dog breed for you quiz. Ours always had Corgi as the #1 match. Haha
DD1 02/90
DS1 08/04
DD2 10/06
DS2 12/08
DS3 07/10
and

SpringMama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpringMama5 For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

How much exercise can you commit to? Our Aussie pushes us to our exercise limits at the moment, so she's making us get into shape, lol. High energy breeds require more than a 15 minute walk around the block. More like a few miles of hiking! Something to really think about, and any reputable breeder will fill you in on the requirements of the puppy they have.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-30-2015), Johns_Gal (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want a dog she can take on walks or just play in the yard?

I'm a little concerned that you think your yard is too small for a lab, but you have an invisible fence. Some dogs become anxious about being in the yard when it is too small and they are afraid of the boundary. What is your plan for training the dog to the fence, and what are you going to do for the 6 months (minimum) that the dog is too young for it?
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthPaw For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which dog breeds should we consider?

My yard is 1/3 acre, but probably only 1/4 acre within the electric fence. We also do have a dog park in our neighborhood for running purposes especially before he is trained for the fence. She wants to both walk the dog and play with it in the yard. Our current dog won't walk or play unless I am right there and it's extremely frustrating for her. Our plan re before it's trained for the fence is to keep the dog on a leash in our yard and for walks and run it at the dog park.

Re exercise we def can't hike for miles each day, realistically the dog will be played with in the yard quite a bit, twice a day at least, taken on probably 5 block walks regularly (daily unless raining) with longer walks on nice weekends when I can accompany. He will also have another dog to run around with in the yard when we get to that point.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Last edited by AngelaVA; 01-30-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds good. I have a Labrador and even at 5 he is still too much for my 9 year old to safely handle. I think a smaller breed would be a good choice. What about a French Bulldog, or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? You can go smaller without going tee-tiny if she wants more of a dog to hug and cuddle.
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthPaw For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
That sounds good. I have a Labrador and even at 5 he is still too much for my 9 year old to safely handle. I think a smaller breed would be a good choice. What about a French Bulldog, or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? You can go smaller without going tee-tiny if she wants more of a dog to hug and cuddle.
I was thinking sheltie, but of course I always am.

My concern with a smaller dog and invisible fence is other dogs. The fence might keep your dog in, but won't keep others out. Hopefully if that happens you'll get the equivalent of a puppy play date, but. I'd never leave a dog out alone in one of those anyway, as I regularly get my neighbor's funny little JRT mix scratching at my front door when she gets bored. The first few times she just went hurtling down the street towards the main road.

I do love shelties and think they could be a great fit if you get a well bred one. I love corgis ad pet type beagles (but not with just an invisible fence). I would not choose a lab puppy for myself, but would go with a nice retired dog from a good breeder if that is what I wanted.

I'll add that my front walk is full of labs towing their kids every afternoon. They are not under any control, there's always a nine year old or younger at the end of the leash squawking "Bailey! Sit!" and Bailey is like "Love you, but.... nope."

Keep in mind (I just have to say this, I'm sure you know) your daughter's capability to manage emergencies that can arise when you're out aloe with your dog. I live in a nice area full of mostly sweet collies and goofy labs, or big dogs who just bluff. Still, I have had to tell a bulldog my chihuahua was NOT a snack, and we have had several nasty dog attacks when a person has been walking their dog. Dogs attract other dogs.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johns_Gal For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-30-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-05-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

Shelties are soooo fluffy and cute, but they barkbarkbarkbarkbark. Youtube it if you want to listen.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

We saw a litter on Petfinders that seem to be a golden retriever mixed with some sort of smaller spaniel. They look like Goldens but smaller with longer rounder ears. DD is really keen on them. Seems like it could be a good mix.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #15
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I used to run with my cocker spaniel, and he was a senior dog.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote