Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I the only one totally curriculum shopping yet?

I'm looking into changing up a few things this year, and Aneliese says she's distraught that since PS held her back in kindergarten we never caught her up....so I've been looking.....
We've been doing a lot of CLE which is pretty good and I placement tested her in Teaching Textbooks....and would you believe, she can skip 6th grade?!?!
So....7th grade it is. (Is that a bad idea?)
Other than that, I think I just want a good science (I'm thinking of Apologia) and I really really want to add typing.
Maybe get her a laptop with a disabled wifi.

Anyone else shopping?

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Soaring Eagle
Deactivated

Soaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Am I the only one totally curriculum shopping yet?

I'm all done shopping for next year. Have everything except I'm waiting on our math order to be shipped.
Soaring Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soaring Eagle For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shopping for next year already.
gpsings (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been shopping. I ordered Sonlight Core F for my oldest to do next year for 8th. I'd love to get her a laptop this summer, but not sure the funds will be there. I'm thinking of enrolling her in an English class this summer and next fall with out local one day academy. The class is one hour a week, and then they are given work to do at home. I feel like my homeschool is very lacking in language arts, so maybe this will be the answer.

I'm trying to figure out language arts for my younger kids. I have some Sonlight stuff coming that I am going to try over the summer. If that doesn't work out, I think I'm going to do something more traditional. I've had a hard time finding things that I enjoy teaching and my kids enjoy doing.

I still have to buy math for everyone. dd is starting pre-algebra next year. This will be our first year with math that I might have to actually read the textbook to know what's going on!
gpsings (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost done for next year. For ds1 (2nd grade) we're doing real science 4 kids, Story of the World, Abeka for math and language arts, some hodge podge for art and I'll probably start cursive. I still need to go through my K stuff for dd since I plan on hsing her next year also.
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-13-2012), Quiteria (04-17-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost done, too. I'll do a big book order in August to round out readers and such for history and science, but I'm pretty sure we're good for curriculum for next year.
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mert For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

So....tell me what you've decided on and why.

Here's my list so far:
Aneliese: (7th grade)
History: BJU World Studies
Science: Exploring Physical Science (Apologia)
Math: Teaching Textbooks Math 7
Grammar: Easy Grammar 7
Literature and Writing: Outsourced to a co-op class
Typing: ?
+ guitar and soccer and maybe if I can afford a good Spanish curriculum, but I wouldn't know how to find that.

Breena: (4th grade)
History: BJU Heritage Studies

Science: ? Maybe Apologia...
Math: CLE
English: CLE
Writing: Writing with Ease
Handwriting: random copywork
+ guitar and a sport, though she wants to continue gymnastics and dh doesn't want her to....to be continued.

Caden: (K-1st)

He's hard to figure since he's not yet reading but what we've been using seems to be moving to slow for him. He learns quickly, but is not happy about doing a lot of bookwork.
I'm thinking Spectrum? Suggestions are wonderful.
I hate planning, hate curriculums that has a bunch of extra stuff to buy, and really want to have something that will keep his interest. Does that exist?
He knows all his letters and sounds, can count to a hundred and by 5's and 10's, knows his money and some clocks, patterns etc. and can add.
Hmmmm.

I'd love to hear everyone's choices!

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

Last edited by gpsings; 04-13-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not! And we won't even be starting homeschooling for another three years! I am always reading this forum and checking out tons of different curriculum choices, I don't know how I'll ever pick one when the time comes!

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I've started
I ordered Teaching Textbooks 4th grade which should be here tommorow though I'm not going to start her on it for a bit yet..

I'm going to stick to the Catholic Hertiage for her grammar,spelling,religion, literature,science and history and handwriting though so I'll be collecting those soon..

We are going to do time for Learning loosely over the summer

Deanna
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I liked T4learning for my older kids.

I LOVE Sonlight, and the concepts, but there is no way I could afford it plus all the extras. If you can do it, I'd say go for it!

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCafe View Post
I'm considering using Sonlight again, but I want a core with history, read-alouds & readers all integrated. I might hold off a year so that we can finish our first round of Story of the World first. I haven't decided yet.
Cores D and up have readers and read-alouds that coordinate with the history.

I did Cores B and C, and I thought the read-alouds went with the history quite nicely.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsings View Post
I liked T4learning for my older kids.

I LOVE Sonlight, and the concepts, but there is no way I could afford it plus all the extras. If you can do it, I'd say go for it!
The Instructor Guide (IG) was about $70. I got everything else from thrift stores, used book sales & the library. The only other thing I bought new was the Usborne encyclopedia, which I purchased with a 40% off coupon at Borders before they closed.

You can buy science, math, language arts, handwriting, etc. from Sonlight also, but you don't have to, and those things are not included on the schedule in the IG anyway. They are considered separate curriculum components from the Core.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Cores D and up have readers and read-alouds that coordinate with the history.

I did Cores B and C, and I thought the read-alouds went with the history quite nicely.
Yes, I just read that if you get B & C as single cores (rather than the combine B/C), the read-alouds correlate, but the B/C combined core doesn't integrate history with read-alouds.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Dh got a rebate in the form of a prepaid Amex, so I used it to order our books for biology on Amazon last week. (dd has kidnapped the human body encyclopedia already )

I think I am going to order SOTW 1 materials next and get it all in digital. Then I can print extra copies of the coloring pages/maps etc as needed and do the read aloud on my ipad. I might order the actual CD's though instead of mp3's because I am not so tech-savvy with digital audio stuff.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Country Bumpkin
Rose Bush

Country Bumpkin is a jewel in the roughCountry Bumpkin is a jewel in the roughCountry Bumpkin is a jewel in the roughCountry Bumpkin is a jewel in the rough

This is the first year I know just what works and what I want...almost. LOL
So, I'm almost done with shopping. We did Sonlight Core A this year, and I can't decide if I should move to B, or B/C with my soon to be 7 and 9yo.

Sonlight Core B or B/C
-Bible
-history
-readers

Creative writing/comprehension: Writing with Ease 2
Language arts: First Language Lessons 2
Handwriting: HWOT 2
Math: Singapore Math or Horizons with Life of Fred supplement
Science: co-op w/friend doing "The Magic Schoolbus Science Explorations" curriculum

I'm so excited about doing science with a friend!

I'm a little stuck on math. We have been doing Horizons Math since K, but this year it felt like it wasn't explaining stuff enough. So, I bought Singapore Math and have been doing both. I have a hard time understanding the way SM teaches and the kids don't appreciate the boring black and white pages. They like Horizons much better. So, not sure which one I'll stick with, but I'm leaning toward Horizons and hoping with the LOF supplement things will be better understood. Ack!
DS
, (01/'09), DD (06/'11)...
and, OH DEAR, SURPRISE!...
Sweet little DD (08/23/2013)

Wifie to my "bestest" friend (07/99)

Country Bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Country Bumpkin:
Lady Grey (04-16-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

I am just starting to plan can't buy for a couple paychecks but we need to plan for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote