Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applesauce

I really like my homemade applesauce, it is not anything like the kind you buy at the store. I only have a little freezer space because I shop at Costco and freeze meat and also try to have a few premade meals in the freezer so...what method of canning am I looking at for applesauce. I have done the kind where you use the metal lids and put the jars in boiling water and then when they cool is creates a vaccuum that seals that jar but I know you can only use this for certain foods, is applesauce one of them?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
jblairosu
Rose Trellis

jblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant future
Default Re: Applesauce

I don't know any answers to your questions, but I would love your recipe if you don't mind sharing it! I've been wanting to make homemade applesauce with ds and would love a tried and loved recipe.

Mommy to ds1 (02/07) and ds2 (02/10)

jblairosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
NCmom

You can can applesauce in glass jars with metal lids. I forget the particulars because I just freeze it. I'm sure you could google the details.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can can applesause by boiling/cooling method.

Deanna
Old 09-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

And here I was hoping for a thread all about MEEE
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple-Saucy View Post
We would never place you in boiling water!

Deanna
AngelaVA (09-16-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Well...I am more cook of approximations so I don't know if this is a good recipe per say but here is the gist of how I make it:

I use the apples we get from the apple orchard which means they are not all one kind and a variety of textures so some cook soft and make the saucier part while others stay chunkier and crisper and I use apple cider as the cooking liquid which I also buy when we pick apples. So for every 8 apples peeled, cored and cut into chunks add:
a cup of apple cider
about 1/4 cup of brown sugar
bring to a simmer and sprinkle with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg as desired (about 2 pinches of cinnamon and 1 pinch each of ginger and nutmeg)
let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes, mushing the apples a bit as they cook down but leaving some chunkiness

The texture and spice of this applesauce is more appealing to adults than the kind you buy in the store but I think this year I'm going to do some without the ginger and nutmeg for the little ones.

Last year I made 4 or 5 batches and just cooled it and put it in quart sized freezer bags. It was gone by the end of the winter, which is why I was thinking of canning.

**tried this without the sugar this year it was quite good. Thanks for the idea Amber!

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Last edited by AngelaVA; 10-06-2009 at 06:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
brandi (10-05-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

You can use a boiling water bath to can applesauce. My family like unsweetened applesauce, so I just core and cut up my apples, add a bit of water and cook it down. You process the pint jars for 15min and quart jars for 20min.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-06-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple-Saucy View Post

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

You can can applesauce the same way you'd can other foods, you don't need to add liquid, obviously. Do you have canning jars? Definitely buy wide-mouth and a canning funnel will save you a lot of aggravation as well. The Ball website has videos.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages...anning_/33.php
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
brandi (10-05-2009)
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Default Re: Applesauce...need quick help before I do this today.

Just getting ready to try this today and had one question, is it a problem at all that the apple cider I'm using as my liquid is not pasturized. I'm boiling it so does that make it safe?