Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Training Children with Grace and Truth?

I've had several friends "like" this on FB recently. I clicked through and evidently it's a "community page" for fans of Grace and Truth books. I looked through their wall posts and while it doesn't address spanking outright, it does seem to have a lot of focus on first-time obedience.

Their Books for Mom tab has a Sally Clarkson book highlight along with a few others written for moms by women.

I've become so twitchy about the word "training." Just wondering if anyone has heard of them?

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training Children with Grace and Truth?

Is this the same group as http://www. graceandtruthbooks.com/category/parenting-child-rearing ? If so, they have some questionable books in their store (Tripp, Nancy L Demoss, videos of "The Baby Conference", etc)
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumblinMama View Post
Is this the same group as http://www. graceandtruthbooks.com/category/parenting-child-rearing ? If so, they have some questionable books in their store (Tripp, Nancy L Demoss, videos of "The Baby Conference", etc)
Yes. I didn't click through to see what their actual store contained.

(Haven't heard of The Baby Conference Is this going to upset me?) (probably)

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

The Baby Conference, IIRC was a Gothard-sponsored deal.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
UltraMother (10-18-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
StumblinMama
Deactivated

I just checked... The Baby Conference was put on by Vision Forum. I was thinking Gothard, because the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar were headliners this year.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Vision Forum is Doug Philips and is pretty much the same thing, as far as I know.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Yeah I thought they were pretty intertwined
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
I just checked... The Baby Conference was put on by Vision Forum. I was thinking Gothard, because the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar were headliners this year.

Actually, for Doug Phillips.......
Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

MissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of light

From what I've seen, the baby conference is about seeing children as a blessing. Doug Phillips, Gothard and the Duggars are big on that. The conference seemed to be about things like adoption, vaccinations and home birth. I would imagine that they probably talk about "training," but that's not really mentioned anywhere in the ads.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusLeata View Post
From what I've seen, the baby conference is about seeing children as a blessing. Doug Phillips, Gothard and the Duggars are big on that. The conference seemed to be about things like adoption, vaccinations and home birth. I would imagine that they probably talk about "training," but that's not really mentioned anywhere in the ads.
Really? Gothard is pretty anti-adoption, so I can't see the fit. I'm fairly sure the 'training' we are concerned about would not be advertized directly.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, while there are some similar child-rearing philosophies and martial interaction ideals, Gothard and Vision Forum are not at this point, linked.

The Baby Conference did have a lot of topics that looked interesting, but from that particular source, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.
Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

MissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of light

Gothard is anti-adoption, but this is Vision Forum, which is Doug Phillips ministry. There are many similarities between Gothard and VF, but they aren't the same and VF espouses things that Gothard doesn't (for good and for bad).
Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusLeata View Post
Gothard is anti-adoption, but this is Vision Forum, which is Doug Phillips ministry. There are many similarities between Gothard and VF, but they aren't the same and VF espouses things that Gothard doesn't (for good and for bad).
But here is the problem. I know who the Duggers are philosophically (Gothard, ATI, etc). I also received a Vision Forum catalog today (homeschool list of some sort I suppose) and the Duggers have a certain 'presence' in there - such as a half page 'Tea with Michelle Duggar' book and the large print description of 'A Celebration of Life with America's Most Inspring Mother'. If the maxum hold that 'you will be known by your friends' then I don't want any part of this dynamic.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

Oh, I'm not saying that I would want to be a part of it. Though I'm sure they'd have lots of good things to say about the blessing of babies, VF rubs me the wrong way. But from looking at it, I don't think it's a "beat your baby to make him sleep through the night" kind of seminar.

Last edited by MissusLeata; 10-22-2010 at 02:52 PM.
MissusLeata is offline   Reply With Quote