Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default K4, I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Lucca really wants to start school, so we've been doing little things here and there and then this morning we "Started school". She wants to learn her letters (which she's been learning on her own, like she can write her name and DCs name) and she wants to "learn to be a nurse" So I thought we could do letters with anatomy, like B for Brain that kind of thing. Other than that I'm totally lost! I need some kind of guide. Especially because she really wants this and I'm having a baby this winter so don't want to start then fizzle out because I don't have a plan. We don't have a lot of money to spend on curriculum, and we don't have a printer (though that's on my list!). I need some good resources, some ideas, some vague plan of what school at age 4 might look like. I'm not looking to do all day school or anything. I think for our family it would be good to have a set apart school time, so I'm looking for something to fit that. Maybe a couple hours worth of specific learning. So give me your best new-homeschooler tips, and kindergarten tips! Please!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K4, I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Here's a free curriculum based on the seasons. I'm doing it with my littles right now and it's really fun (and gentle).

http://weefolkart.com/content/homesc...mpanion-guides

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (09-29-2014), marbles (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

I started Rightstart math with mine when they were four. We did it super slowly, but it starts to lay a great foundation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Since she is asking would just keep it simple and can work on things by just getting into that teaching mode so you can use every day life as the classroom.How many eggs are in the box? what shape is this object etc. So she already can tell you letters? Can do a Five in a Row approach where you choose a topic a week that she could pick - Cats for instance.Then you would read about cats together all week and C would be the letter of the week and can count cats and use cats for simple math.You can make your own by drawing 2 cat faces + 2 cat faces would equal 4 cats.Then you can watch cat DVDs or go see some new kittens someplace.You get the idea. can also check out the Getting Ready section at www.allinonehomeschool.com to see if there is something there to use.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Since she is asking would just keep it simple and can work on things by just getting into that teaching mode so you can use every day life as the classroom.How many eggs are in the box? what shape is this object etc. So she already can tell you letters? Can do a Five in a Row approach where you choose a topic a week that she could pick - Cats for instance.Then you would read about cats together all week and C would be the letter of the week and can count cats and use cats for simple math.You can make your own by drawing 2 cat faces + 2 cat faces would equal 4 cats.Then you can watch cat DVDs or go see some new kittens someplace.You get the idea. can also check out the Getting Ready section at www.allinonehomeschool.com to see if there is something there to use.
We've been doing something like this, we'll get a bunch of books about whatever they want to learn about. She's recently been wanting to learn more letters, she can write names but can't isolate the letters. Some letters she can identify on their own. She can count items, but gets confused in her teens. She knows a lot about the human body already, for instance, because we've gotten some anatomy books and books about bones and senses. The "Getting Ready" looks like what I have the idea of in my head. Like today we did the letter A, I wrote out a bunch of big and little As and she traced them, then drew them independently. We learned the word "anatomy" and I wrote down a line from a Psalm and had her circle all the As she found. Then we did a memory verse and talked about what it meant.

Thanks for the other references, I haven't looked at them completely yet. That Wee Folk Art looks like it'll be good for me, the kids love to do crafts but we hardly ever do them because it's just completely not my thing. Just from looking a bit at it, it looks like it'll fit my family really well.

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Last edited by marbles; 09-29-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing about the Getting Ready section is each day you can have a look but dont have to do all.the. things the way one feels like have to sometimes if it is a boxed curric that you are invested in $ wise

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

If you could borrow a printer or go to the library or something could print out the alphabet worksheets ahead of time and any others that interest you.It sounds like you have very good instincts already about what is a good fit for her. Dont worry if have to scale back when new baby comes - homeschoollers often do for a stretch but it is a time where you can keep reading to her or have others do some things you have figured out ahead if you have someone coing to help you

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
marbles (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Best thing about the Getting Ready section is each day you can have a look but dont have to do all.the. things the way one feels like have to sometimes if it is a boxed curric that you are invested in $ wise

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

If you could borrow a printer or go to the library or something could print out the alphabet worksheets ahead of time and any others that interest you.It sounds like you have very good instincts already about what is a good fit for her. Dont worry if have to scale back when new baby comes - homeschoollers often do for a stretch but it is a time where you can keep reading to her or have others do some things you have figured out ahead if you have someone coing to help you
It's at least confirmation that I'm not off base!

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 09-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
She can count items, but gets confused in her teens.
Maybe switch to calling it 1-ten-1, 1-ten-2, 1-ten-3, etc. Then it's a consistent naming pattern.

Also, consider working with her on number recognition. So instead of counting, SEE that there are 3 objects. Or 5. Above 5 should be 5 and 1, 5 and 2, etc.

Have a look at this article:
http://www.rightstartmath.com/resour...he-young-child
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
mamacat (09-29-2014), marbles (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Maybe switch to calling it 1-ten-1, 1-ten-2, 1-ten-3, etc. Then it's a consistent naming pattern.

Also, consider working with her on number recognition. So instead of counting, SEE that there are 3 objects. Or 5. Above 5 should be 5 and 1, 5 and 2, etc.

Have a look at this article:
http://www.rightstartmath.com/resour...he-young-child
That's very helpful, thank you!

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Yes--concrete first, then abstract. At her age I wouldn't worry about anything past 10 and concentrate first on counting actual things rather than memorizing the number sequence.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
marbles (10-03-2014)