Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Under Loving Command"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6boysmom View Post
Well after our discussion, my eyes were wide open and my heart still cringes in fear and disgust as to what she told me. Her main advice was to never take my child to a doctor within a couple weeks of a good spanking because the bruising was so significant. Believe me that this was many years ago and if I knew what I know now I would've called CPS.
Bolding mine- oh my goodness! I literally became sick to my stomach reading that!
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weezie For This Useful Post:
Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Christina+5
Rose Bouquet

I really do love my kiddos!

Christina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud of

read part of the article. Gross! And what the heck is "Selfish Love"?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
6boysmom
Rosebud

Zookeeper mama

6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you Elizabeth!

I am very grateful to have found this forum! It has been extremely helpful and encouraging.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezie View Post
Bolding mine- oh my goodness! I literally became sick to my stomach reading that!
I am so sorry! While I was typing this my 13 year old son walked in the room to ask me a question and I just looked at him and thanked God over and over that I didn't follow her advice. He is just such a wonderful, caring young man & the thought of all of this makes my stomach turn.

And not just her quote makes me sick, but also the fact that I was in her home once and saw first hand what she did. I will spare the details, but I grabbed my son and left ASAP. I still regret not calling CPS. I can't get over it, but I have been compelled to get involved in getting the word out about what people are doing in the name of Jesus.

In that booklet one of the most disturbing events mentioned was getting a baby/toddler up in the middle of the night to spank/beat him because they forgot that he was naughty the day before and didn't obey God by disciplining him. And the booklet taught that children should be spanked every time they forget something too.
6boysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 6boysmom For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-09-2012), newday (01-09-2012), Weezie (01-09-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I'm reading a book on the Gospel of Luke and this theme comes up over and over. Jesus tells them that 'it will be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven' - it was a total reversal of this concept of 'good things mean I'm worthy, bad things mean I've sinned' and was a little shocking. Likewise the healings He performed - people didn't get it because 'obviously those people were sick for a reason'. Grace, this radical reversal of understanding of 'worthiness', is at the heart of the Gospel and obviously still so misunderstood my so many.
It can be disheartening how often it's misunderstood. Despite being raised in a Christian family and going to church (named Grace Community Bible Church, ironically) every week, I had no concept of what grace really was was until I was in my 30's. Surprisingly, my pastor said the same thing to me recently. He was in seminary when he had the realization.

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised when this model of punitive parenting is pushed so often in churches. When I think about it, the good behavior=reward, bad behavior=punishment thing is so foundational to being human. It's a hard concept to give up, because it's something by which we can measure ourselves.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
newday (01-09-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-13-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Hilary316
Rose Blossom

Hilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really niceHilary316 is just really nice

Quote:
I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised when this model of punitive parenting is pushed so often in churches. When I think about it, the good behavior=reward, bad behavior=punishment thing is so foundational to being human. It's a hard concept to give up, because it's something by which we can measure ourselves.
You know, that is SO TRUE. We just have this deep desire to prove ourselves, I guess... To be GOOD enough, to do SOMETHING that makes us feel righteous and for God to love us....

I also go to a church named Grace Baptist Church that is reformed baptist (and yes, the woman that posted the link goes to a reformed baptist church, too, as do all of our mutual friends *sigh*) and it just frustrates me to no end when I hear all about grace, grace, grace, but when we talk about our children? Well, no mercy can be shown because "God commands us to use the rod."

Clara (11/10)
Benjamin (12/12)
Luke (7/15)
Hilary316 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilary316 For This Useful Post:
6boysmom (01-09-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's also a bit of a survival mechanism - to prove that I'm better than the next guy so that I can claw my way to the top to get the prize - survival of the fittest and all.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago, I had to stand up to the (pretty new) assistant pastor at my church who was considering allowing SACH to be studied in the parenting class (he wasn't an advocate of it, but someone else who was wanted it to be studied). One point I made was that our parenting study was called 'Grace at Home,' and I didn't see how SACH could possibly be studied then as it shows children no grace. His response..."well, that's just the title of the study..." (implication, we don't really mean it...)

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6boysmom View Post
In that booklet one of the most disturbing events mentioned was getting a baby/toddler up in the middle of the night to spank/beat him because they forgot that he was naughty the day before and didn't obey God by disciplining him. And the booklet taught that children should be spanked every time they forget something too.
So, when the parents forget to discipline their child, who spanks them?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
6boysmom (01-09-2012), ClassicMom (01-13-2012), Domina (01-13-2012), dulce de leche (01-09-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (01-09-2012), Happygrl (01-09-2012), Llee (01-10-2012), saturnfire16 (01-09-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-13-2012), Two Little Birds (01-09-2012), Weezie (01-12-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

Surprisingly, Dobson *does* mention this book in one of his books (The Strong Willed Child or Dare to Discipline I believe) and uses the example mentioned above about waking the child in the middle of the night. Dobson was very negative on this book and adamant that these authors were way over the top. This is what convinced *me* to not get this book when offered it by a church member I respected a few years later. Thank goodness!

IN Christ,
Joy
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joyanne For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-09-2012), dulce de leche (01-09-2012), newday (01-12-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Weezie (01-12-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
6boysmom
Rosebud

Zookeeper mama

6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light6boysmom is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
So, when the parents forget to discipline their child, who spanks them?
I thought the same thing when I read the booklet. The author Pat even talks about her own forgetfulness as well and how God disciplined her for it (maybe made her feel bad- I don't quite remember). She said she forgot to spank her daughter when her daughter forgot to put her shoes on (which she says her daughter was singing and joyfully waiting for the rod).

I just don't comprehend her logic at all- my kids and I forget stuff all the time- that's just being human! Crazy!
Barney the Dinosaur- 17yrs
Cookie Monster- 16yrs
Detroit Tiger- 16yrs
Panda Bear- 13yrs
Dr. Doolittle- 11yrs
Sparky- 10yrs

Micah 6:8
6boysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

I've read that before -- and I was so mad I was spitting nails afterward.

The author also very clearly states that Proverbs 22:6 is a promise.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

We had been excited to visit a particular church, and went out of our way on our vacation to be able to do so. When I walked into the sanctuary I had a sense of heaviness, though. The men were hale and hearty, but the women and children...were depressed and oppressed.

Children sat in service very quietly but when a toddler near us began to fuss the tiniest bit, her fuss turned to a sound of quiet fear as her father carried her out of the sanctuary. My heart sank and my stomach turned.

As we left I saw that pamphlet on a table in the foyer and knew that my instincts about what was going on in that room were correct.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #29
Beautiful Chaos
Rose Trellis

I live a wonderfully chaotic life!

Beautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond repute
sensitive Re: "Under Loving Command"

I can not even believe this happens.......I swatted my daughters hand and sobbed right along with her, I apologized, but I still felt like such a failure I can not even fathom how people can think that this is what God wants. How could that even come to mind.....Do these mothers get beat by their husbands too???
Madeline(04)
Quin(08)
<>< <>< <><
Imaginations Creations
You will win sweet mamma!!!
facebook me

Trimming the fat 4 life
formerly known as mammaof3
Beautiful Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beautiful Chaos For This Useful Post:
Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #30
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezie View Post
I ahave avoided reading it for that reason.....I am certain I have read it before, & it is so horrible.