Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cinco de Mayo recipes

My cookbook club is celebrating Cinco do Mayo, and I am drawing a blank on what to bring. Any favourite recipes? Gluten free preferred. Vegetarian recipes welcome (there is one vegetarian in our group) but not necessary. Somewhat authentic or with a good story behind the recipe will help make it easier for me to talk about why I chose that recipe. Appetizer, main, salad, dessert...any category is good. I appreciate your ideas, recipes, or any links you might have.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cinco de Mayo recipes

Dos Equis and Margaritas say Cinco de Mayo to me.

Sorry, I'm not much help, huh? I'm an avid cook and an incorrigible baker, so usually i've got a dozen ideas. But Mexican appetizers (guac, tacos, etc.) and alcoholic drinks are all I've ever had for Cinco de Mayo. Oh, and Birthday Cake - one of the kids in my Sunday school class had a May 5 birthday.

I'm going to think about it, though and see if I can come up with any ideas. It sounds like fun.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
My cookbook club is celebrating Cinco do Mayo, and I am drawing a blank on what to bring. Any favourite recipes? Gluten free preferred. Vegetarian recipes welcome (there is one vegetarian in our group) but not necessary. Somewhat authentic or with a good story behind the recipe will help make it easier for me to talk about why I chose that recipe. Appetizer, main, salad, dessert...any category is good. I appreciate your ideas, recipes, or any links you might have.
Cinco do Mayo is a much bigger holiday in America than in Mexico https://en.m.wikipedia .org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

I would do a good guacamole or tacos. Shrimp or fish tacos could be really good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to look at shrimp taco recipes...and I'll also look up Dos Equis.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Dos Equis is a beer - XX.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
RiverRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Dos Equis is a beer - XX.
...and not gluten free. I was hoping it was a cocktail. I might need to make shrimp tacos!
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Shrimp tacos sound yummy.

Any kind of Mexican or Mexican-American food is good for Cinco de Mayo. Tacos, enchiladas, beans and rice, chips and salsa.

If you want easy but interesting, maybe a unique salsa such as a fruit salsa.

If you want to be extra, make mole. It's a very authentic Mexican fiesta food. (If you don't know it it's an amazing sauce. I've always had it with chicken. Traditionally it's very labor-intensive but there are easier versions.)

If you're looking for a dessert, maybe rice pudding. Red, white, and green gelatin or popsicles are popular where I live.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Pozole or tortilla soup could both be made vegetarian (for the pozole, I'd leave some out and put meat in the rest).
Flan is always a hit for dessert.
My favorite tacos are tacos al pastor, which are definitely not vegetarian. I just buy the meat preseasoned at our local Mexican grocery store though- not sure if you have one close by.
Tostadas are super easy, can be set up as a buffet where people make their own, and then can also be vegetarian.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
RiverRock

I was already considering tostadas...because I really like them.

Someone might already be bringing pozole...

Great ideas to consider in this thread.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I associate Cindo de Mayo with fresh handmade flour tortillas. Where I used to live, you'd find the celebration outdoors at a park, and vendors would have the charcoal grills all lit, with a flat surface for tortillas.

I'm drawing a complete blank on anything else. I'll bet there was probably meat to go in them, lol, but I was little.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need a drink? I was thinking about this thread today and it made me think of horchata. Soooo yummy! Non-alcoholic. It's so good when made well, and frankly easy to make because you can buy the concentrate and add milk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (05-03-2019), tempus vernum (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, or iced hibiscus tea. https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/agua-...-hibiscus-tea/

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
esperanza (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
esperanza
Rose Garden

I am not a fan of jamaica, but I may be an odd one out. I love sweet, cold horchata!
Old 05-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #14
Quiteria
Rose Garden

I love jamaica...I'd take that over bitter black iced tea any day.

I was thinking it's cheap, easy to make a huge quantity if you aren't sure how many people will try it. Vegetarian.

Ideally, I'd offer both.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
esperanza
Rose Garden

Yes, it is cheap and easy! I'm just not a fan of any tea, so maybe that's part of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (05-03-2019)