Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you're allergic/sensitive to latex, come in here, k?

My body must be changing or something. Since having dd nearly 2 years ago, I have been having/noticing reactions to foods I've never before reacted to.

I grew up with really bad hayfever, I guess maybe it was only a matter of time.

I have hayfever-like reactions to bananas now. Sometimes to avocado and kiwi, but not as strong(yet?). I know they are related to latex allergy. I react to other foods too(peaches, dried apricots, peppers sometimes, oranges sometimes, and watermelon Jolly Ranchers), but that is a different post.

So here's my questions.

1. Clothing-Are there supportive or sexy bras out there that don't have latex in them? Elastic has been bothering me--itching where it is in contact with my skin. I guess this pertains to other clothing, too.
2. Should I quit using my Keeper and get a Diva instead?
3. If you don't mind my asking, if you are TTA a pregnancy, how do you deal with birth control? I know there are non-latex condoms out there, but they are $$$. I am also allergic to spermicides and pills aren't on my list of options anymore. Maybe it's time I became more diligent and educated about this Taking Charge of Your Fertility thing.

4. What other things should I be watching out for?
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Teacher

Default Re: If you're allergic/sensitive to latex, come in here, k?

We're not absolutely sure, but it appears that our daughter might be allergic to latex. My grandmother was highly allergic to latex so it would make sense. The first thing we noticed with DD was that she broke out in a terrible flaky red rash all across her bottom when eating apples daily and drinking diluted apple juice. Once we removed apple juice and apples (we went to pear juice) he rash healed immediately. After doing some reading we discovered that the composition of protein in apples is almost identical to the chemical make-up of latex so the body sometimes thinks you're ingesting latex. She's never been tested, so I can't say with confidence that's what it is. But it is suspect since she had a grandmother who is highly allergic to it.

Let us know what you find out...
Old 04-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not super knowledgeable about latex allergy, but interested just because ds has super sensitive skin and breaks out in blisters from bandaids and such (maybe just hte glue, I dunno). I also thought I had a sensitivity to latex but I think it's just the spermicide on condoms as switching to the ones without spermicide seems to have taken care of the issue.

I would say though, if you're having that much sensitivity that even though the Keeper is natural gum rubber that it might be good to consider switching to the silicone cup just to reduce your exposure. If you are happy with the fit of the Keeper, I'd get a Mooncup because the DivaCup is shaped slightly different and fit some women differently.

HTH, and good luck...
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link! I was searching for a comparison and that link is just what I was looking for!

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Quote:
If you are happy with the fit of the Keeper, I'd get a Mooncup
um...uk or us mooncup?

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

UK Mooncup is what I use and love (and it's just like the Keeper my mom had) ... I'm actually kinda annoyed with Keeper for using the same name with a space in it. It's really confusing to people.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
UK Mooncup is what I use and love (and it's just like the Keeper my mom had) ... I'm actually kinda annoyed with Keeper for using the same name with a space in it. It's really confusing to people.
okay that gave me a headache

Deanna
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
JavaMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy
Quote:

Deanna
Sorry! I guess I'm annoyed by the whole thing because I've had my Mooncup for 4 years and then along comes the "Moon Cup" and it confuses people. Trademarks and such aside, I think Keeper should have chosen a different name for their Moon Cup since the (UK) Mooncup was already being sold and known as the Mooncup.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
Mama Bird
Rose Garden

Mama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm allergic to latex. It's no fun. I'm also allergic to spermicides. There are only two brands of condoms that we've found that we can use that are latex-free and spermicide-free. We used one of them (one was bad...kept coming off ) Yes, they're expensive, but worth it. DH, of course, hated them.

I cannot eat bananas either, they make my lips and mouth itchy. The dentist forgets and uses latex gloves, and I'm an itchy, red mess for a week. I can't blow up balloons for my kiddos...

We had to choose between condoms and NFP for our birth control. We used a combo. If I was not fertile, we went without. If I was even thinking about being fertile, we used a latex-free condom.

Bras are a tough option...I seem to be okay if the elastic is encased in the fabric of the bra. Same with what my family calls "underhoozles." So long as the elastic is encased, I seem to be fine.

When I delivered my son, the hospital was overly zealous. I was put in a corner room with big signs all over the doors saying "LATEX ALLERGY!" lol...I felt like such a freak. Be prepared that sometimes you have to deal with the allergy. I got a root canal, and they did not have a latex-free dam. They had tried to get them before my appointment, but couldn't. I just had to deal with it, and take Benadryl.
Mama Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I was just reading this cuz i'm nosy, not because I suspected I have a latex allergy, but I have an itchy rash along my bra line, and bananas make the roof of my mouth burn. Would those be symptoms?
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Mama Bird
Rose Garden

Mama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...could be I suppose. My mouth doesn't burn really, but the roof of my mouth and my lips feel itchy.
Mama Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy
Quote:

Deanna
Sorry! I guess I'm annoyed by the whole thing because I've had my Mooncup for 4 years and then along comes the "Moon Cup" and it confuses people. Trademarks and such aside, I think Keeper should have chosen a different name for their Moon Cup since the (UK) Mooncup was already being sold and known as the Mooncup.
and thats why it gave me a headache like they couldn't think of a diffrent name

Deanna
Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

bananas for me are definitely itchy

Apricots, on the other hand, cause a burny closing-inny type feeling.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity