Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Katherine

Default Need kid-friendly vegetable ideas without nuts or legumes

What kinds of vegis do your kids like and eat that are *not* beans? And how do you prepare them? I'm having a hard time thinking out of my box.

Ds is reacting to more and more types of beans and our new allergist is of the opinion we should just avoid the whole family unless it's something he already eats safely. That leaves broccoli... asparagus.... green leafy stuff which I'm not used to cooking cause the kids don't really like it... and...

ok, I *can* think of other things, but I start getting bogged down right about there.

Help me out! We're gonna need some more variety! :/

(carrots and corn I consider starchy semi-vegis b/c they have so much sugar... and he seems to genuinely hate sweet potatoes )
Old 04-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need kid-friendly vegetable ideas without nuts or legumes

Hum, not sure if I can add anything you could use but mine eat (usually )...

an asian mix (that I don't think would work for your ds) with water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots, red bell peppers, edame, and snap peas
okra (not the healthiest)
coleslaw
salad
summer squash and zucchini
parsnips
red cabbage

M will eat
spinach and collards
artichoke dip
tomatoes
cauliflower

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Katherine

Thanks Debbie!

I forgot about parsnips! Yes, they've had those before.

And C likes raw spinach. We had it cooked last night, and he didn't *like* it but he ate some anyway.

Do you make your own artichoke dip?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Boiled broccoli. Yes, boiled. Break into florets and cook in plenty of water, as for pasta, until it's bright green and easy to pierce with a fork. Save the water for soup stock. One of my girls will only eat pickles and the occasional carrot stick, but the other one gobbles up this broccoli. That one, BTW, doesn't like cooked cabbage, but will happily nosh on shredded raw cabbage. Other raw vegetables include slivered bell peppers (any color) and baby carrots.

Both of the kids love "soup with carrots," which is chicken soup with lots of chunks of veggies. They also eat "meatball soup," which is canned Italian-style wedding soup with lots and lots of spinach cooked into it. The more adventurous one also likes wilted spinach cooked with bacon drippings.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... I only wish my ds would that many veggies! Right now he'll eat raw carrots, sliced cucumber with the skin if it doesn't have any seeds (just the end pieces basically), and romaine lettuce.
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Ds doesn't like spinach by itself, but will eat it if it's mixed in with other things, like spaghetti or quiche. He will also eat broccoli in pasta dishes (like buttered noodles or mac and cheese). He likes to eat raw broccoli, carrots and sugar snap peas (a legume, so not helpful to you) with poppy seed dressing as a dip. For a while he really liked Morningstar Farms Spinach Artichoke Veggie Bites. They do have soy in them, if you're avoiding that too--but they're very tasty .

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine
Do you make your own artichoke dip?
We have tried a couple (just by googling to find a recipe). They haven't been as good as what we get out, so we are still trying. I get frozen artichoke's at Trader Joes.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Katherine

Where is the Trader Joe's around here? Guess I could google it.

I've never even seen one and never heard anybody local talk about one, so I just sort of assumed they weren't in our area.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

we use to have a nut/legume allergy we ate:
carrots
(in soup, grated up and added to spaghetti sauce, raw, grated in salad, cooked into roast, battered in tempura and fried)
cucumber
(raw, cut up like a pickle spear with a sandwich, with salt sprinkle or cut into circles with a bit of lime squeazed on and a pinch of salt)
broccoli
(steamed with butter, broccoli and velveeta, broccoli and parmesan cheese grated on top)
asparagus
(blanched then sauteed in butter or olive oil, you could eat it like that or put them on top of bread crisped in the oven with bacon and cheese on top, or asparagus with a lemon butter sauce drizzled over)
eggplant
(eggplant parmesan)
fresh spinach
(throw some into a strawberry smoothie)
green, red, or yellow bell pepper
(dice up and add them to chile beans, if you simmer the chile all day kids cant taste it)
onion
(i take a whole or half onion and put it in my spanish rice as it cooks, then i scoop out the huge piece when its done cooking)
celery
(same as onion, my kiddos dont like celery so i put it in as the food cooks but take out the soggy stalk when its done cooking. Or i dice it up super small and put it in things that it will simmer down into the base. Like pot pie, stews, chile beans, rice, even throw a raw stalk into a smoothie)

I know theres more but
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Katherine

I'd love to hear more about the "used to" part when you've had some sleep. Did you guys at some point stop being allergic to nuts/legumes?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

My girls like beets and beet greens. Squash with butter and brown sugar but it's good plain, too. Brussels' sprouts (we called them Smurf cabbages when I was little ). Broccoli slaw. Cabbage slaw. My friend makes "mashed faux-tatoes" out of cauliflower. Celery. Parsnips (take the core out and roast). Roasted peppers, onions, mushrooms, and potatoes all mixed together with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #12
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

Quote:
Where is the Trader Joe's around here? Guess I could google it.

I've never even seen one and never heard anybody local talk about one, so I just sort of assumed they weren't in our area.
There is not one really close to you. We go to the one in Roswell (on our way to church) or East Cobb (near IL's). We go fairly often for the rice milk (M is having dairy now, but doesn't like the taste of milk). If you want something and don't want to make the trip let me know and I will pick it up for you.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #13
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
I'd love to hear more about the "used to" part when you've had some sleep. Did you guys at some point stop being allergic to nuts/legumes?
yep the kids and I. And we all stopped at the same time. I was doing different things. I cant say it was one thing in particular because it took several things. But in short, it was due to being able to clean out our guts, remove anything that might interefere with our digestion, pull out any toxins(especially nickel for our legume allergy), restore the proper flora, then added a touch of enzymes this took a while cause we had so many allergies to so many things, the kids are young, and I have been either pregnant or nursing. the only thing we now take is probiotics and enzymes. I think we will be off of those in about a month. then we will use silicas for maintenance of our stomachs only as needed.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
Katherine

Wow, Me! That's really impressive. Were your reactions anaphylactic before? We've been dealing with food allergies in my eldest for years, but this month has been horrible. He's been in the ER 4 times--twice with some of the worst reaction he's *ever* had, reacted to at least one new food substance, and to a viral trigger which cause a full week of recurring hives.

I remember talking to you before when you were dealing with the nickel allergy... Have you chronicled your experiences anywhere, or kept logs? I guess I could search your old posts on GCM if you've posted at different stages?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #15
me
Rose Garden

marking...nudge me if i forget to return