Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't figure out our network password

God bless my dh, who set up our network months ago when we moved into the new house. But he doesn't know the password to out network, so I can't add new devices to it (my Kindle he got me for my birthday).

Do you guys know any good way to figure out the password?

He hates to reset it, as we would then have to reconfigure out blu-ray player, my laptop, the computers, etc., and he worries we would lose acess to Netflix ont he TV in our confusion.

We need an IT department in this house. :P

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't figure out our network password

This is why you're supposed to make it something you'll remember

I think you may have to reset it. It shouldn't mess with your netflix account
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno about other versions, but on windows 7 you can make it so you can see the password

go to the network list. right click on the network you're using, go to properties. click on the security tab. it'll have the password set with the dots, but below that is a "show characters" option, click that and it will show you the password.

I've had to do it quite a few times since E put in a very random password that even he doesn't know
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeckaBlue For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a mac there is an area on your computer that saves those passwords.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
ThirstyTurtle
Rose Garden

ThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

Type in 192.168.1.1 in your web browser address bar (where you would normally type www.google.com). No http, etc. Just 192.168.1.1.

A box should come up asking for a username or password.

This will not be your network password. If you left these as the default, you are in luck. If you changed them, you will have to remember what you changed it to. I would almost bet that you left them as default, as most people do.

You should be able to google your router make and model to find it if it's not printed at the bottom. Usually the default username is "admin" and the password is either blank (as in, type nothing), "password" or "admin".

If you can make it past this part, you should be able to go to the wireless tab or link in the rounter settings and see your password in plain text.

If this does not work, you might be able to go into your the wireless settings on your other devices and see if the password is in plain text. Often it is.

DS1-12/2006
DS2-04/2008
DS3-12/2009

You cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives. All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other. ... Keep silent, refrain from judgment. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.
ThirstyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (09-19-2011), mountainash (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are speaking Latin, aren't you? (teehee, I feel so technologically lost these days)

The Netflix is a concern, b/c our bluray is on our wireless network and that is how we access netflix to watch on TV. If the bluray isn't signed into the network, we can't access that. But, I have to imagine it would simply prompt us to sign in again (in the even we had to change our pw). DH is just afraid we are too stupid to figure it out (and he might not be mistaken).

I wanna use my Kindle (stomps feet theatrically).

I will go back and try to translate your posts into English and see if there is anything I can figure out.

You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Are you on a PC? What operating system are you using?
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Dh and I both use PC's. My O/S is Windows Vista (scary). On my laptop, I think I have Windows 7, and he is running Xp (still...).

You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

ok, I only know how to do what mama2madj can do. so on your laptop left click on the little bars next to your time on your task bar (says internet access on mouseover) It'll bring up a bunch of wireless connection opportunities, right click the one you are connected to and choose properties. It'll show your connection info, underneath the network security key is a little blue and yellow shield by a box that says show characters, click the box, and it will show you your password.
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
ok, I only know how to do what mama2madj can do. so on your laptop left click on the little bars next to your time on your task bar (says internet access on mouseover) It'll bring up a bunch of wireless connection opportunities, right click the one you are connected to and choose properties. It'll show your connection info, underneath the network security key is a little blue and yellow shield by a box that says show characters, click the box, and it will show you your password.
God bless you, my friends for working with me on this.

OK, so the tremendously long string of alphanumeric characters is the password? (network security key = password?)

And I type that looooong thing into my kindle to connect to the network?

You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

That's what I have to do to connect my daughter's ipod to the network. It should work
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Going to try it now! I shall report back.

I owe you chocolate for walking me through this.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Dance of joy
Dance of joy
Now I can play
With my new toy!!!

I love you!!!

You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
The Following User Says Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
JessicaTX (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm late to the party, but Becka had just the right idea Windows 7 is awesome like that
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

I am so glad ee had one machine at least running Windows 7 - it was fortuitous.

You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor