Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
tnaallen
Rose Garden

tnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant future
Default Do I bite my tongue?

We have a cousin who is a young new mother (had her baby at 19), and just posted on Facebook that she was given "To Train Up A Child" and that she seems to like it. Her son is only 9 months old and the only thing she really mentioned was that she was implimenting new parenting techniques via this books, and her som doesn't like it, however it's effective and he's doing great.

Several people wrote that it was good it wa working and she found a good resource. I couldn't help myself and wrote this:

The Pearls are scary people. Their book has played a part in more than one case of child abuse. I'd check out some people who don't have falsified credentials. Dr. Sears Discipline book, Playful Parenting, Grace Based parenting, etc... Just my 2 cents...

To which she responded this:

Well, there is an entire chapter in there about the differences of disciplining and abusing, and I felt like biblically it was correct, but thank you for the recommendation.

Considering there was some family drama last year due to her (which has now been resloved since she apologized to the entire family), I hesitate saying anything that can seem defensive or argumentative.

Do I just bite my togue at this point?
tnaallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say they are praying for tnaallen:
Llee (08-20-2010), Mokek Kwe (08-20-2010), Redeemed (08-21-2010), Zooey (08-21-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
malakoa
Rose Garden

Fearless

malakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do I bite my tongue?

Pray a lot. A whole lot. (I'm sure you already are.) Then pray God will send soldiers to the battle field to tell her the truth about THAT MAN. Pray she will be open to what is best for her baby and her way, not his way. (Or your way, either) If you're given a chance to talk to her again, please do. We will pray and know he has answered those prayers
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malakoa For This Useful Post:
Mokek Kwe (08-20-2010), Quiteria (08-22-2010), SweetCaroline (08-21-2010), tnaallen (08-20-2010), Zooey (08-21-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Mokek Kwe
Deactivated

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Mokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond repute

You said what you could, and at this point, there are two things you can do-- allow her free will and assign positive intent (she cares enough about her child to read and study and try to do what she feels is Biblically correct, even if it is a very.... questionable *ahem* book, at best)... and pray... pray hard. That her relationship with her child won't be tossed to the wayside over the new things she's implementing...
Mokek Kwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
ronioli
Climbing Rose

ronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant futureronioli has a brilliant future

She doesn't sound receptive to hearing more. I would not respond argumentatively as she would likely get defensive. Instead, I would probably write back just to say, "I do not agree. Let me know if you want to hear about alternatives. I know a lot of great resources created by more reputable people. Praying for you!" And then really pray!
mwwr (08-23-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for ronioli:
Marielle (08-24-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Cherish
Rose Trellis

Words are Worlds

Cherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond repute

I would respond that you know she's a wonderful mom and would never abuse her child, but the really scary thing is how some babies have had to be hospitalized and harmed by failing to thrive on their unnatural schedule system. Just ask her to keep a close watch for the signs of failure to thrive and list them...
Cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

"his theology is really questionable--he's a semi Pelagian which gets him quite a bit of criticism. But, hey, if you are comfortable with his theology then you're the one parenting so that's what counts

Though you might want to do some searching online about the children who have died from his methods. I'd hate for you to not be fully informed about this guy."

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

of course I tend to be pretty direct so ymmv
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
mommasgirl (08-26-2010), mwwr (08-23-2010), Rabbit (08-21-2010), SweetCaroline (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
"his theology is really questionable--he's a semi Pelagian which gets him quite a bit of criticism. But, hey, if you are comfortable with his theology then you're the one parenting so that's what counts

Though you might want to do some searching online about the children who have died from his methods. I'd hate for you to not be fully informed about this guy."

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

of course I tend to be pretty direct so ymmv
What Crystal said.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
JessicaNichole
Rose Trellis

JessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to all

you never bite your tounge. Even if your cousin wont listen, you dont know who could be reading her wall and might see what you say and investigate. So you are not ONLY talking to your cousin but also to anyone else who might read what you wrote.

and i also think what Crystal said is perfect
JessicaNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I would not respond further - it is her FB page, not yours, and you've already made your position clear and articulated. If you keep responding/arguing with her she'll feel like she has to respond back each time and it will escalate into further defensiveness and broken communication.

Last edited by Katigre; 08-21-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Mokek Kwe (08-21-2010), ronioli (08-21-2010), TenderLovingWillow (08-22-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Katie and JessicaNichole for this one. The info may not be heard by her, but it will be heard by someone. I don't engage with someone in a debate, unless it's a close friend. That means that we can talk to each other IRL about what we're debating. I provide the necessary info and move on. Sometimes I block them for a bit, because I don't want to know what they're doing.

But for me, on FB, I'm not called to be providing anti-materials all the time. There are times when I know that is what I need to post to someone, so I do. Usually PM though. But if they read what I've posted, they know what I feel about well, almost all parenting things.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
tnaallen
Rose Garden

tnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant future

Well, I wrote back what Crytal wrote (thank you Crystal!) with a little added lightheartedness about children not fitting into one parenting mold anyways, since they are all so different. We dialogued a little and she basically said that wasn't the only book she is reading and that she tends to pick and chose the parts she likes. That's better, I'd say! And at least I raised a flag to the Pearls if she was leaning towards "picking and choosing" from that book more than others.

What Jessica said is so true too. I never thoguht about what the other people may be doing or reading who could benefit from the conversation. (Thanks Jessica!)

Thank you all for your input and advice!
tnaallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tnaallen For This Useful Post:
cro (08-21-2010), Mokek Kwe (08-21-2010), Zooey (08-22-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as someone who was a mom at 19, 19 yo's still tend to think they know everything and are often VERY defensive of people who may accuse them of parenting badly. I would think going further will undermine your point entirely.

If you live close to her, I think spending time would be far more effective. If you live further away, I would post about your own GBD successes. And, definitely pray.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
ronioli (08-21-2010), Rose5000 (02-03-2015)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I see you replied already but I think I would have said "I know you are a great mom and it's awesome that you are doing your research, I just know I was shocked by some of the information about him I saw online and I knew you would want to know. So how many teeth does he have? now?"

I'm glad it's all worked out ok.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (08-21-2010), Mokek Kwe (08-21-2010), ronioli (08-21-2010), tnaallen (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
AnotherNamedKate
Climbing Rose

AnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond repute

What I would do is buy her a Dr. Sears book, or whatever, as a gift and then add a note saying something like "It's always best to have two perspectives. This one has really helped me, so I thought you might like to try it out."

ENTJ
AnotherNamedKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
ctab
Rose Bouquet

ctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to behold

I would buy her a couple of the books you suggested, and send them to her with a thinking of you note. I wouldn't mention that you bought them because of what she said on FB, but just that you were thinking of her and you thought she would love some great books. She may put them aside for now, but you never know when a hard day will come and God will use the books you sent to soften her heart.
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote