Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute
Default I Picked up a P4P manual at the thrift store

And wow. It's the 8th printing from Winter 1997.

Any time a parenting book begins with "This series is not written for the general public but for [our] graduates", that's a big old red flag that perhaps they aren't as Biblical as they claim to be.

"The key to setting limits for your mobile pretoddler is not in controlling his environment (although that should be done) but in instilling a right response to your instructions. The goal is to train him to your voice (which includes tone and modulation), not to the object." (p. 81)

Or my personal favorite promise:

"...parents who raise their children by the principles of Preparation for Parenting find that they have a much greater propensity to yield themselves to parental instruction during this stage of development [five to 15 months old] than children who are demand-fed." (p. 84)

Wow.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (06-17-2012), CelticJourney (06-17-2012), dulce de leche (06-18-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (06-18-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-25-2012), MercyInDisguise (06-17-2012), PaperMomma (06-17-2012), Zooey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Picked up a P4P manual at the thrift store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralee View Post
"The key to setting limits for your mobile pretoddler is not in controlling his environment (although that should be done) but in instilling a right response to your instructions. The goal is to train him to your voice (which includes tone and modulation), not to the object." (p. 81)
I actually did this to some degree. Monkey learned "stop" early on. At first, I'd say it as I put my hand on him to stop him and slowly gave him more opportunities to respond without help. I mostly use it in safety situations, though, like running toward the street. Still works at 2.5.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinBeingMommy View Post
I actually did this to some degree. Monkey learned "stop" early on. At first, I'd say it as I put my hand on him to stop him and slowly gave him more opportunities to respond without help. I mostly use it in safety situations, though, like running toward the street. Still works at 2.5.
Yeah. It won't later.

I'm not saying you did badly. Just that both of my boys did that, one had been smacked and one not. at 2.5 they were both doing like you said above. Then came 3.....

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
OperaDivaMom (06-17-2012), SuperDudesMama (07-02-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I was pretty surprised when it worked this week. I was really glad, though. We were at VBS and I'd gone across the street without him. He decided to come get me with a car coming. I said "stop" and he froze and started crying because he wanted to be with me. As soon as the car was passed, I went over and scooped him up, telling him how glad I was that he listened.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LovinBeingMommy For This Useful Post:
Peridot (06-17-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-22-2012), Zooey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge difference between developing a relationship with your child and teaching them to trust your words and instructions as opposed to the behavior modification based on fear of punishment that Ezzo teaches in Prep.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-18-2012), dulce de leche (06-18-2012), Elyse221 (06-18-2012), flowermama (06-18-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-25-2012), OperaDivaMom (06-17-2012), PaperMomma (06-18-2012), Peridot (06-17-2012), Rugayatu (06-18-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-24-2012), SweetCaroline (06-18-2012), UltraMother (06-18-2012), Zooey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Prep for Parenting is appalling--even more appalling than Babywise because of the attempts Ezzo makes to hitch his Parent-directed-feeding wagon to Jesus.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-18-2012), breezy88 (06-20-2012), Calee (06-18-2012), CelticJourney (06-18-2012), dulce de leche (06-18-2012), Elyse221 (06-18-2012), flowermama (06-18-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-25-2012), Hannah Elise (06-18-2012), MercyInDisguise (06-19-2012), Peridot (06-18-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-24-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-18-2012), Zooey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Kathy, I've really noticed that too. Control as Biblical.

And the way flicking a cheek, swatting a hand, and spanking is just so casually suggested. I grew up in the Midwest and yes, there was spanking (but not Biblically mandated), but growing up, there was little-to-no swatting or flicking in the church crowd I grew up in. I think my parents, aunts and uncles and the parents of my friends would be pretty appalled at how flicking and swatting are cited as answers to problems like thumb-sucking or a baby trying to feed themselves.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (06-25-2012), Zooey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kathy, I've really noticed that too. Control as Biblical.

And the way flicking a cheek, swatting a hand, and spanking is just so casually suggested. I grew up in the Midwest and yes, there was spanking (but not Biblically mandated), but growing up, there was little-to-no swatting or flicking in the church crowd I grew up in. I think my parents, aunts and uncles and the parents of my friends would be pretty appalled at how flicking and swatting are cited as answers to problems like thumb-sucking or a baby trying to feed themselves.
Yes, this is so true!!
There are someof these "gurus" who have made their reputation (& $$$$) saying things are "biblical parebting", & no one thought it was biblical un til they said so.
Peridot (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

I had the discussion about whether spanking was biblical or not this week. With a bunch of teenagers. They'd all been spanked and didn't suffer any negative consequences, so it had never occurred to them that spanking can be traumatic. The way one guy just casually stated, "the whole point of spanking is the separation of the bond between the child and the parent" was just awful.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had the discussion about whether spanking was biblical or not this week. With a bunch of teenagers. They'd all been spanked and didn't suffer any negative consequences, so it had never occurred to them that spanking can be traumatic. The way one guy just casually stated, "the whole point of spanking is the separation of the bond between the child and the parent" was just awful.
That is just so sad.....
dulce de leche (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Peridot
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
Yes, this is so true!!
There are someof these "gurus" who have made their reputation (& $$$$) saying things are "biblical parebting", & no one thought it was biblical un til they said so.
<coughDobsoncough>

Quote:

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Quote:

"...parents who raise their children by the principles of Preparation for Parenting find that they have a much greater propensity to yield themselves to parental instruction during this stage of development [five to 15 months old] than children who are demand-fed." (p. 84)

I think this is saying that the *children* will have a greater propensity to yield themselves to their parents' instructions, but the way it reads I first thought that the *parents* would have a greater propensity to yield themselves to his instructions for parents. I think it could read either way. Parents who raise their children by these principles will be more inclined to continue to listen to his book because their instincts and intuition have been ripped away and their bond with their child damaged.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (06-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Peridot
Rose Garden

babies who are made to wait for their most basic needs become damaged. They cannot defend themselves. quite frankly I'm surprised that he admits babies can be broken in this way- so that later on they will accept the most merciless punishments.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-18-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peridot View Post
<coughDobsoncough>

<coughwordcough>
Peridot (06-18-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
iwillhope
Rose Blossom

iwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really nice

I have never read Ezzo anything. I don't think I will ... I need to protect my eyes and keep them healthy.

It's sad that a teenage said that about separating the bond between child and mother. My heart aches. And we wonder why teenagers don't listen to their parents...
iwillhope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iwillhope For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-24-2012), Zooey (06-26-2012)