Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you make kefir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
This thread is timely for me! I just got milk kefir grains on Sunday, and am learning about it We're going to be trying our first batch in a smoothie in a few minutes

We used raw milk, so the cream was at the top. When the batch was done, the top was very thick and yucky looking.....I took it off, but am wondering if it would stir back in w/o being chunky? I'm sure it's find to eat, I just didn't want to
I scoop the grain out, put the cap back on, and shake it really well before putting it in the fridge. Then I shake well before drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I have another question, I hope you don't mind me asking questions, too, OP!

So, I just went to make the smoothie, and both kids asked to have some in a glass.....and it was SICK tasting. I smelled it, but did not let them know that *I* thought it was gross....but their reaction was pretty clear that they thought it was gross, too.

That was my second batch with my grains (it was a pint). The friend I got them from said they'd been in her fridge for a while, and it might take a few batches to get them going again....

....is it normal for it to be sick (like I spit out the mouthful I tried and rinsed my mouh out, that's how gross it was) like that, or would it just be slightly off??

I'm getting discouraged
That sounds normal if the grains were in the fridge for awhile. Hopefully your milk isn't too expensive . . . if your raw milk is expensive then I would use store bought milk until it tastes good again. It might day a few days or even up to a week. Watch it carefully. Shake the jar several times a day. Change the milk every 24-36 hours. It should taste like a strong yogurt. Tangy, tart, but not gross (assuming you're used to unflavored, unsweetened yogurt).
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (01-26-2012), PDX Mommy (01-26-2012), Sundance (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

If it tastes really gross I wouldn't use it at all but as you follow Lisa's suggestion about running several batches through to get to where it's more palatable, you might consider using it in baking once it's strong but not gross. If I leave a batch a little long and it's tarter than we like, I use it in place of buttermilk or milk in baked goods. I use it so much I don't even buy baking powder anymore. I just use baking soda in conjunction with kefir.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
PDX Mommy (01-26-2012), Sundance (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

PDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I finished fermenting my first batch of kefir and poured it into another jar. It's been on the counter for 2 hours now and it looks like some very small grains passed through my mesh strainer or something, because I see what appears to be a layer of white grains (just very small) at the bottom of the bottle. Normal?

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

PDX Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PDX Mommy For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Mommy View Post
I finished fermenting my first batch of kefir and poured it into another jar. It's been on the counter for 2 hours now and it looks like some very small grains passed through my mesh strainer or something, because I see what appears to be a layer of white grains (just very small) at the bottom of the bottle. Normal?
Yes, go ahead and consume them!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Go grains! Love that they were sitting on my counter last week and now you're feeding them

That is really nice to hear re: metal strainers. I'd been avoiding them bc I'd read it's important to, but since y'all have used them just fine, I'm gonna go for it.
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
PDX Mommy (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

PDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you again for sending them! I'm having fun looking up recipes. I'm going to try ginger root beer next. DH loves root beer, so maybe he'll like this. And, he's just been hit by a tummy bug so he needs some probiotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemesMomma View Post
Go grains! Love that they were sitting on my counter last week and now you're feeding them

That is really nice to hear re: metal strainers. I'd been avoiding them bc I'd read it's important to, but since y'all have used them just fine, I'm gonna go for it.

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

PDX Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Please post any good recipes you find. Ginger root beer sounds great!