Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
gentletitus2mama
Climbing Rose

gentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to behold
Default My least favorite quote of the week from Keven Leman

I like many things that Kevin Leman writes. Some of it is great. I was reskimming through his Have a New Kid by Friday and came across something that flat out made me . It was in regards to shy children. He says.....

Quote:
Did you know that an extremely shy child is an extremely powerful child?Shyness becomes a way of making sure the adults in that child's life do things the way the child wants to do them. It's actually a form of manipulation ..... Shy children are saying me, me, me, but in a quiet way that parents often miss it. The wise parent will see shyness for what it really is:a manipulitive tool for a child to get their own way.
He tells a story in that section about a little girl who said she was too shy to talk to the old people in the nursing hom and another girl tells her "My Mommy says that being shy is thinking about yourself more than thinking about others. It's being selfish and thinking your better than other people.

What a negative spin to put on shyness. I was very shy as a young girl. Painfully so. I wanted more than anything to be able to be more outgoing. Eventually I did find a way to reach out to others and it became easier but it was a long road. I am just introverted. I certainly wasn't trying to manipulate anyone. And I definately didn't consider myself better than others. The opposite could have been said.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gentletitus2mama For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (07-24-2010), Maggie (07-27-2010), Quiteria (07-24-2010), Sparrow (07-26-2010), Synesthesia (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation
Default Re: My least favorite quote of the week from Keven Leman

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
BHope (07-27-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of him before but he sounds incredibly ignorant and egotistical. Ironic, really.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (07-26-2010), Mokek Kwe (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Like the OP said, some of it's great, but some of it is totally off base. He's one of those eat the meat, spit out the bones authors.
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (07-24-2010), erinee (07-26-2010), Psyche (07-27-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been a shy person. What Lemen has to say is so off base. I'm glad I didn't have parents that read that when I was growing up...It would've been so hurtful & confusing to be called selfish & manipulative for being shy.
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
CarissaJoy (07-26-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Could he possibly presume a more negative intent??
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with him. I'm shy NOW. I'm a mega introvert. I don't like small talk and yakking endlessly. I like being in my skin. Being shy doesn't mean you're manipulative. It just means you're shy.
Sometimes it means you talk a bit longer to open up and get comfortable with people. Being shy means that folks shouldn't try to throw you into cold water, but they should let you get used to it at your pace.
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Synesthesia For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (07-26-2010), Johns_Gal (07-26-2010), Soaring Eagle (07-27-2010), Sparrow (07-26-2010), Striving4Grace (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
WildOlive

He obviously was never shy himself. How horrid! I like a lot of his stuff, but he is so far off base on this one he's not even in the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Maggie (07-27-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

Shyness can be a bit painful. Like waiting through a force field that gives you shocks or trying to walk through bees. He doesn't geth ow it feels to pick lions over a cocktail party.
I totally would too!
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synesthesia For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (07-26-2010), tofufoofoo (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
gentletitus2mama
Climbing Rose

gentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiasmomma View Post
He obviously was never shy himself. How horrid! I like a lot of his stuff, but he is so far off base on this one he's not even in the game.

he is in fact very much an extrovert. he talks about that in some of his books. so it could very well be that he really DOESN'T understand what being shy is like. But still, that would be like me assuming that an extrovert just wants all of the attention because everything is all about them. I would never assume that.
The Following User Says Thank You to gentletitus2mama For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (07-26-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an introvert too...but I agree with him a tiny bit. I don't think a shy child is being manipulative. I certainly think they should be able to warm up to pp at their own pace (it takes me a while too). And making small talk is a huge effort for me.

BUT it helped me a lot as a teenager and even now to realize that my fear of what people think of me holds me back from being able to help others. In fact, when I don't say anything to someone b/c I feel shy, they often interpret that as me being snobbish or disliking them. Just like an extrovert who dominates the conversation could be considered self-centered, me not talking at all in some situations is also self-centered.

I do think that quote puts a really negative spin on the issue though especially when talking about young children.
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingsOfTheMorning For This Useful Post:
klpmommy (07-26-2010), RealLifeMama (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

I have a niece who did/does use shyness as a manipulative too. It was VERY aggrivating, BUT I think she's an exception to the rule.

My kids have had times that they were very shy and it just took them longer to warm up. Once they felt comfortable, a stranger walking into the room would have never known they were feeling shy 10 minutes before, KWIM?

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangababys Mom View Post
I have a niece who did/does use shyness as a manipulative too. It was VERY aggrivating, BUT I think she's an exception to the rule.

My kids have had times that they were very shy and it just took them longer to warm up. Once they felt comfortable, a stranger walking into the room would have never known they were feeling shy 10 minutes before, KWIM?
This. I'm betting he has known a couple of people who use shyness as a manipulation tool and bases his theory on this. My mother in law uses her "shyness" to get her way and play the victim. It is infuriating and I can understand how if someone has seen this in a few people can make this assumption about shyness.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Naked Camper (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

even some of the more punitive teachers out there say to honor shyness until at least 10 yo when they will be more ready to learn social graces
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (07-26-2010), domesticzookeeper (07-27-2010), Heather Micaela (07-26-2010), Maggie (07-27-2010)