Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone heard about this book?

Gaaah!

Did you see the "Scriptural" rules chart???!!!??? (In the exerpt linked above pg 167)

"You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet." -- This is of course in support of a curfew!!!

"The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh." -- An obvious reference to limiting your entertainment choices!

" Fathers,[b] do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. " -- Is a rule about how children should have respectful speech and attitudes.

" 14 “Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. 15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” " -- Is in support of why children do not get to make choices about worship, but should go with their parents, whether they worship or not.

" 9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. " -- OK, so this is a pretty good way to treat your sibblings... but it is clearly directed at adults who have a relationship with God, and respect him. It's not just about behaviour.

"Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise. " -- Yay! One that actually applies to teens, and means what she thinks it means!

"

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest. 9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man. " -- I don't think that's about school work and grades do you? It sounds more like it's about food and survival. And did you notice that "the ant" has "no overseer or ruler" -- yet the teen is expected to meet parental expectations, not his/her own.

"5 He who gathers crops in summer is a prudent son,
but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son. " -- Oh! It's about chores -- here I was thinking it was about food and survival. I don't think the family starves if young Billy fails to mow the lawn.

"7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools[c] despise wisdom and instruction.

Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
9 They are a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.
10 My son, if sinful men entice you,
do not give in to them. " -- I guess one good reason for being home and hanging out with family members is that they might teach you the wisdom of honouring God and resisting sin... but really... that's quite a stretch from this passage to manditory home hours.

"

8I want everyone everywhere to lift innocent hands toward heaven and pray, without being angry or arguing with each other. 9I would like for women to wear modest and sensible clothes. They should not have fancy hairdos, or wear expensive clothes, or put on jewelry made of gold or pearls. 10Women who claim to love God should do helpful things for others"
-- Anyone who thinks this is just about standards of grooming and modesty has got another thing coming.

"put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body." -- All right, a good passage for honesty. Fair enough. As long as they realize that honesty is a fruit of an active spiritual life, not something imposed and enforced.

-- OH, and any child that has a problem with their parent's limits here, and is, perhaps, exasperated by them... we'll it's the child's problem, because these limits are clearly exactly what God says they have to do whether they like it or not. Having a problem with these "Scriptural" rules is having a problem with God Himself! --

HOW I DETEST THE MISUSE OF SCRIPTURE!!!!

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-22-2011), deena (04-23-2011), dukeofhazzard (07-10-2011), Elyse221 (06-16-2012), hsgbdmama (01-10-2012), katiekind (04-22-2011), littleowl (04-22-2011), rjy9343 (06-04-2011), Two Little Birds (04-23-2011), Virginia (06-02-2011), Zooey (09-28-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt. View Post
Gaaah!

Did you see the "Scriptural" rules chart???!!!??? (In the exerpt linked above pg 167)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #18
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the book When Good Kids Make Bad Choices?

To me, the fact that a book merely mentions spanking is not an automatic dealbreaker. I can read around it.

However such pronounced misuse of Scripture that is intended to be repeated to the children -- THAT is a dealbreaker for me.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
hsgbdmama (01-10-2012), Two Little Birds (04-23-2011), Virginia (06-02-2011), Zooey (09-28-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #19
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know wny exactly, but I don't like the title - the "dazzling your kids" part...
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post

However such pronounced misuse of Scripture that is intended to be repeated to the children -- THAT is a dealbreaker for me.

How are we supposed to teach our children to love the Word if we are using it as a weapon?
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Two Little Birds For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (09-28-2011), dulce de leche (04-23-2011), gentlemommy (06-04-2011), homesteadmama (09-29-2011), Lily (04-23-2011), NewCovenantMama (07-09-2011), rjy9343 (06-04-2011), Virginia (06-02-2011), Zooey (09-28-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #21
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good point. And also it is really confusing to kids to grow up on a steady diet of twisted, misused scripture.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (04-23-2011), NewCovenantMama (07-09-2011), Two Little Birds (04-23-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar with the earlier book - and have not yet read the new one (FedEx should be delivering it today, actually). But to be fair: it's quite possible her views have changed. And I say that with 100% firsthand knowledge it has happened before WITH HER.

I read her book Love to Eat, Hate to Eat and found it immensely helpful. I purchased her Bible study Uncommon Vessels - also about food issues - expecting it to be equally helpful. It wasn't. It seemed very different. I noticed that UV had a much earlier copyright, and wondered if perhaps it had been written before LTE,HTE – and before some sort of grace-awakening. I was so curious, in fact, that I emailed her about it. And she responded affirming my hunch.

So, all I'm saying is:
1) It's not fair to pre-judge a book based on what the author has written on the topic previously--it's understandable, perhaps, but not guaranteed to be accurate.
2) I would expect that a book written by her and her daughter would be far more reflective of her (current) views than a book written by her and two other people.

Earlier today I read the foreword, plus several blog posts on the Give Them Grace blog. All were fantastic. I very much look forward to reading the book.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9

Last edited by schmamy; 06-02-2011 at 01:47 PM.
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #23
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

I'm subbing- I heard about the book recently and am curious how it turns out.

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #24
Amahoro
Climbing Rose

Amahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond repute

This book is getting raving reviews in the Motherhood area of my old infertility forum, so I was going to ask what the GCMers thought about it.

A lot of the women there are quite punitive/legalistic in mindset, so I was cautiously concerned.
Amahoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #25
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

My gentle-momma, Calvinist friend gave it 5 stars on her GoodReads account. Her review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/161848593

She lists points she likes and points she was disappointed with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (07-09-2011), hsgbdmama (01-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #26
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

eta - Oh - I see this is the same review just at a different place than the one above,

This review might be helpful...
http://www.tulipgirl.com/index.php/2...ve-them-grace/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doubleblessings For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (07-09-2011), katiekind (07-09-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #27
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Re: her scriptural rules:

It's fascinating to me how involved parents can become with figuring out "what the Bible says about children" when they haven't the first clue what it's saying about them. It's just too difficult to think that maybe these passages are calling adults to higher standards, not their children.

I am interested to find out if her new book is any different.
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-10-2011), Cook (07-10-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #28
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a blog entry from a mom who says that this book rocked her world. http://myofferings.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/the-gospel-driven-parent-how-to-have-good-kids/ She mentions that the book does promote spanking and that she recently gave it up due to another book (Corporal Punishment In The Bible).

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

anybody here read it yet? i have heard about the book to, only i was cautious because of who was promoting it.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #30
Calee
Deactivated

Calee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond repute

I have it, and am reading it. I've only read the intro and the first chapter. There are good parts-really good parts.

There is a chapter on spanking-which I'm skipping. I'm not far enough to know how pervasive it is, or what other punitive ideas she may put forth.

The first parts have actually been really helpful to me in my OWN life-in my own view of God as THE PUNISHER, as she is speaking against that, and pointing out the harmful ways we teach our children that God is against them.

But I'm guessing I'm going to come across some yick too.
Calee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calee For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (09-28-2011), Zooey (09-28-2011)