Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
littleowl
Deactivated

littleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nice
Default Has anyone heard about this book?

It's called Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I don't think it comes out until June but was wondering if it was the same old, same old punishment book. It doesn't sound like it. The assistant pastor of my former church mentioned it on his blog.
littleowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to littleowl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone heard about this book?

In the editorial reviews section on Amazon, there is a raving review from Paul Tripp (the brother of the guy who wrote SACH).
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
breezy88 (04-21-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
littleowl
Deactivated

littleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nicelittleowl is just really nice

Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRN View Post
In the editorial reviews section on Amazon, there is a raving review from Paul Tripp (the brother of the guy who wrote SACH).
But remember that one thing about SACH is that the first 3/4 is about connecting to your children, so don't write the book off quite yet based on that. Lets hope its the 3/4 WITHOUT Tripps 1/4 disasterous ending.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (04-06-2011), dukeofhazzard (07-10-2011), schmamy (06-02-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Looks interesting, I'd be curious to glance over a table of contents.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins View Post
But remember that one thing about SACH is that the first 3/4 is about connecting to your children, so don't write the book off quite yet based on that. Lets hope its the 3/4 WITHOUT Tripps 1/4 disasterous ending.
True, true. I think it is hard for me to get the other 1/4 out of my head. I actually really did like the other stuff. I think he actually has a good understanding of grace and relationships, he just needs to get those "rod" verses in a proper context.
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
NewCovenantMama
Climbing Rose

NewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond repute

There's a blog by the author here. Doesn't mention spanking.

http://blog.givethemgrace.com/
NewCovenantMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
littleowl
Deactivated

I'm cautious about this author. One of her blog entries talked about her getting a speeding ticket and explained how she was receiving her "just punishment." A commenter noted how she admired how she "received her discipline." Idk. The wording they are using sounds punitive. I hope I'm wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to littleowl For This Useful Post:
deena (09-29-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know wny exactly, but I don't like the title - the "dazzling your kids" part...
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
beansmama
Rose Blossom

A sinner saved my a merciful Savior - repenting of spanking, yelling and otherwise unloving mothering.

beansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to all

Oh no . . . Paul David Tripp is Tedd Tripp's brother? The same Paul Tripp who did "What Did you Expect?" I really liked that marriage series. I thought it all also could be applied to our relationship with children too.
beansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #11
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Oh no . . . Paul David Tripp is Tedd Tripp's brother? The same Paul Tripp who did "What Did you Expect?" I really liked that marriage series. I thought it all also could be applied to our relationship with children too.
Yes, they are brothers - and there is a *lot* of true and helpful material in their books. Do I agree with everything they say about children and parenting? Definitely not. But quite honestly, I don't think it's fair to lump Tedd Tripp in with Ezzo and Pearl. I can understand if particularly sensitive people have to avoid SACH altogether because of the spanking stuff, but when I read SACH, I found MUCH in there to really appreciate (and found the spanking stuff to be similarly incongruent there, though not as obviously as with GTG). I just don't think Tripp is in the same league as Ezzo and Pearl.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
Yes, they are brothers - and there is a *lot* of true and helpful material in their books. Do I agree with everything they say about children and parenting? Definitely not. But quite honestly, I don't think it's fair to lump Tedd Tripp in with Ezzo and Pearl. I can understand if particularly sensitive people have to avoid SACH altogether because of the spanking stuff, but when I read SACH, I found MUCH in there to really appreciate (and found the spanking stuff to be similarly incongruent there, though not as obviously as with GTG). I just don't think Tripp is in the same league as Ezzo and Pearl.
But what you are describing is the heart of the issue (no pun intended) - if you have 90% truth mixed with 10% false/bad doctrine, then you have a huge problem. I have learned over the years that many, many parents read this kind of material with a certain level of filter - many don't even remember the bad stuff they filtered it and forgot it. But many new christians or people so desperate to 'do it right' or 'do what everyone else is doing' can't filter out the bad. And I would strongly agrue that the 'bottom heart connection' is, under those circumstances, potentially devastating to a parent/child relationship and more importantly, have had many people who were children parented in this way say that it was a stumbling block to their relationship with God. For someone to teach that you can change a child's heart by hitting them....and require an immediate sign of your 'success' by requiring a 'happy attitude' about being hit......I see nothing of Christ in that, nothing of the gospel of grace. He negates the other 90%.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (09-29-2011), Elyse221 (06-16-2012), Zooey (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But what you are describing is the heart of the issue (no pun intended) - if you have 90% truth mixed with 10% false/bad doctrine, then you have a huge problem. I have learned over the years that many, many parents read this kind of material with a certain level of filter - many don't even remember the bad stuff they filtered it and forgot it. But many new christians or people so desperate to 'do it right' or 'do what everyone else is doing' can't filter out the bad. And I would strongly agrue that the 'bottom heart connection' is, under those circumstances, potentially devastating to a parent/child relationship and more importantly, have had many people who were children parented in this way say that it was a stumbling block to their relationship with God. For someone to teach that you can change a child's heart by hitting them....and require an immediate sign of your 'success' by requiring a 'happy attitude' about being hit......I see nothing of Christ in that, nothing of the gospel of grace. He negates the other 90%.
This.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend it across the board, without reservation, to people who can't or won't read with a filter. Beyond that I think we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry to have said anything about it. Didn't mean to derail the thread.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
I wouldn't recommend it across the board, without reservation, to people who can't or won't read with a filter. Beyond that I think we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry to have said anything about it. Didn't mean to derail the thread.
Please don't apologize - it's a conversation. And I do understand what you are saying about 3/4 of Tripp. I've heard it described many times as 75% wonderful discussion about parenting at a 'heart' level.....and then negating it with the 'heart bottom' connection. For some people, it is only the active, hands-on optons they will try because the adversarial approach is what they know best.

As for me, there are few books I recommend without disclaimer and having thought about it first, so I understand that approach.