Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #31
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kirk Cameron and Ted Tripp

Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Maggirayne:
Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #32
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
That is so awesome! I'd be interested in hearing more about your story of leaving TTUAC behind. Welcome to GCM!
Yes, when you are ready to tell the story, I have room for it in the Testimonies section of my website.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #33
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Tripp has retracted his stance on spanking, I believe that IACH is not an updated version a SACH but a accompaniment to it. I watched the preview fro IACH DVD and it it talks about, "foundation for corrective discipline", first time obedience, and keeping kids inside the circle God has drawn for them. It still sounds like the same old Tripp to me.

I am not saying that Tripp did not touch your family is a important way BUT while he was leading to away from a punitive dynamic it is very possible that at the same time he was leading 100's towards it.

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz

Last edited by Six Little Feet; 03-20-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Six Little Feet For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-09-2011), emerald (03-02-2011), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), NewLeaf (03-21-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #34
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striving4Grace View Post
From IACH pg 116: "Only God can ultimately draw our children to himself. God is the one who will convince them of truth, so they love him and fear him, in spite of the loud attractions of foolishness around them. Our instruction as parents, grandparents and teachers is one of the means he uses (Deut 4:10)
Another means is our faithful and continuous prayers for our young people (Col 1:9-14)

From the chapter "The Sowing and Reaping Principle of Scripture": There are two types of consequences: natural consequences and consequences shaped by authorities. (then goes on to illustrate what a natural consequence is)
Consequences shaped by authority are those where the authority determines the outcome that is called for to underscore the principle or absolute in Scripture. Notice my definition - authorities do not have the right to shape consequences so that children learn "to never do that again if they know what is good for them" (goes on to expand on what he means) Help children to recognize that consequences are not "what I am doing to you" but "what you have brought about by the choices you have made." "You are reaping what you have sown!"

Biblical consequences must be reasonable and logical.

pp70-71

There's so much more good stuff there but I don't know if I'd be over by sharing the remainder of that paragraph. I have not read SACH and I don't plan to because I feel IACH is all I really need. From the excerpts from SACH shared here I can see why they felt the need to write a new book, that does sound like them at all.

I appreciate the prayers going up for our family, it's a hard road and a huge shift in thinking to leave behind the TTUAC mindset and I fail a lot but praise God I have stopped spanking and have rarely been resorting to time outs.
First of all, thank you for taking the time to write that up for us. I am very interested to read IACH now!

Secondly, thank you for sharing so bravely and openly here about your journey away from the Pearls' teachings. I am so glad you found GCM and I am praying you will be encouraged on your journey here.

If you do feel you want to tell more of your family's story, I hope you will find this is a safe place to share that.

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (03-21-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #35
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
From IACH pg 116: "Only God can ultimately draw our children to himself. God is the one who will convince them of truth, so they love him and fear him, in spite of the loud attractions of foolishness around them. Our instruction as parents, grandparents and teachers is one of the means he uses (Deut 4:10)
Another means is our faithful and continuous prayers for our young people (Col 1:9-14)

From the chapter "The Sowing and Reaping Principle of Scripture": There are two types of consequences: natural consequences and consequences shaped by authorities. (then goes on to illustrate what a natural consequence is)
Consequences shaped by authority are those where the authority determines the outcome that is called for to underscore the principle or absolute in Scripture. Notice my definition - authorities do not have the right to shape consequences so that children learn "to never do that again if they know what is good for them" (goes on to expand on what he means) Help children to recognize that consequences are not "what I am doing to you" but "what you have brought about by the choices you have made." "You are reaping what you have sown!"

Biblical consequences must be reasonable and logical.

pp70-71

There's so much more good stuff there but I don't know if I'd be over by sharing the remainder of that paragraph. I have not read SACH and I don't plan to because I feel IACH is all I really need. From the excerpts from SACH shared here I can see why they felt the need to write a new book, that does sound like them at all.

I appreciate the prayers going up for our family, it's a hard road and a huge shift in thinking to leave behind the TTUAC mindset and I fail a lot but praise God I have stopped spanking and have rarely been resorting to time outs.
The bolded part keeps jumping out at me...the same shaming, "this is your fault that I have to chastise/spank/punish you" mindset as it has always been.

Granted I don't have the entire context, but the wording of this still sends up alarm bells for me.

I am also interested to know if he has retracted his older teachings. If he hasn't/won't - that makes it clear where his heart/theology remain.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-20-2010), Beth1231 (03-20-2010), Chaos Coordinator (03-09-2011), emerald (03-02-2011), erinee (03-20-2010), euromom (03-20-2010), light of mine (03-21-2010), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), mom2boys (03-20-2010), NewLeaf (03-21-2010), Six Little Feet (03-20-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #36
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterwife View Post
The bolded part keeps jumping out at me...the same shaming, "this is your fault that I have to chastise/spank/punish you" mindset as it has always been.
Hmmmmmm.

When I read that, I guess I tend to think more of Love and Logic type reasoning. "This is the choice you made, and this is the consequence of that choice." I use that often in my scripts with my girls, not in a shaming way, but more to emphasize the power of the choices we make.

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-27-2011), Gentle Journey (03-22-2010), happyhousewife (03-22-2010), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), mommasgirl (03-22-2010), momyshaver (03-20-2010), nadezhda (03-02-2011), Redeemed (01-23-2011)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaCrunchy View Post
Hmmmmmm.

When I read that, I guess I tend to think more of Love and Logic type reasoning. "This is the choice you made, and this is the consequence of that choice." I use that often in my scripts with my girls, not in a shaming way, but more to emphasize the power of the choices we make.
I see where you are coming from.

What I am saying is that if he still advocated spanking...then that statement is applying to that, as well as whatever else he uses in his toolbox. And that is damaging/dangerous enough to still make me
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
euromom (03-20-2010), Maggirayne (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #38
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

Quote:
I see where you are coming from.

What I am saying is that if he still advocated spanking...then that statement is applying to that, as well as whatever else he uses in his toolbox. And that is damaging/dangerous enough to still make me
I totally see what you're saying!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers_Princess View Post
So has Tripp officially retracted his teachings from the first book in the second? I have seen such things before, where a pastor or other leader will publish a book with something of a disclaimer in the author's notes or prologue that says something about God changing their heart/opening their eyes and that they apologize for anyone mislead or damage caused by their previous teachings, but that they were teaching what they fully believed to be God's will as they perceived it at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Little Feet View Post
I don't think Tripp has retracted his stance on spanking, I believe that IACH is not an updated version a SACH but a accompaniment to it. I watched the preview fro IACH DVD and it it talks about, "foundation for corrective discipline", first time obedience, and keeping kids inside the circle God has drawn for them. It still sounds like the same old Tripp to me.
Quote:

Granted I don't have the entire context, but the wording of this still sends up alarm bells for me.

I am also interested to know if he has retracted his older teachings. If he hasn't/won't - that makes it clear where his heart/theology remain.
well, they [SACH] are still being sold all over the internet. apparently he still believes in them enough to make a little $$ off of them. i can only imagine and assume that as a pastor if you actually had a change of heart and felt your previous work was harmful or incorrect you would make sure to take those books off the market.

i did notice that the 1998 version of SACH is "revised and updated." anyone know what those changes may have been about?

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote:
I'm very sorry that is how you perceived his position through the book. I attend the church that he pastors and that is not at all what he teaches, believes or advocates. I have been told not to spank my children at all and encouraged more than I am ready to recount at the moment on my recovery from parenting ala Pearl. In fact if you even mention the TTUAC book you can see visible disgust in the eyes of Pastor Tedd and Margy. They are very kind, patient and loving people and I do admit it doesn't necessarily come though in the book but my entire family owes them a debit of gratitude as the healing that has happened as we have detoxed from TTUAC is amazing and for the very first time I can see that my children's salvation most certainly does not depend on anything outside of Christ.

I understand that there are a great deal of ladies here who find even the mere concept of spanking so repugnant that it is impossible to see those who advocate it as anything but monsters themselves writing child abuse manuals and I agree with that in regards to the Pearls due to my own experience.

I am here to learn more about gentle discipline using logical consequences since that is what type of discipline I was advised to use.
thank you so much for your courage to share!!! and welcome and hugs to GCM. we are so glad you are hear. i'm glad TT offered you such wonderful advice. i'm curious as to why though, as it goes against so much of his published and written work.

the second bold is mine....and i just wanted to clarify, while that is the statement of beliefs of GCM, the teachings of TT go far beyond the "mere concept of spanking." they advocate spanking an infant of less than 9 months of age, admitidedly even before knowing if that child in fact is exhibiting true "rebellion."

SACH Page 154 "You have no way of knowing how much a child a year old or less can understand of what you say, but we do know that understanding comes long before the ability to articulate does….When our oldest child was approximately 8 months old….Obviously he was old enough to be disciplined.”

and finally....just an added concern of mine is his use of proof-texting scripture. his use of hebrews 12:11 is grossly out of context. this verse is directed to adults facing persecution for their faith, not children being physically hit by their parents.

SACH Page 152 “We have always been guided by Hebrews 12:11 ‘No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.’ If discipline has not yielded a harvest of peace and righteousness, it is not finished. On some occasions we have had to say to our children, ‘Dear, Daddy has spanked you, but you are not sweet enough yet. We are going to have to go back upstairs for another spanking.”

the misuse of scripture is very important to me, and is enough to consider the works of this person not something that would be helpful in learning and loving the scriptures and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

just wanted to add this...as they spanking is not the ONLY issue i have with the teachings of TT.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to abh5e8 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-20-2010), CapeTownMommy (03-21-2010), erinee (03-20-2010), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), NewLeaf (03-21-2010), Six Little Feet (03-20-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-20-2010), Treenahurricane (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #40
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Striving4Grace - I'm so glad you are here and bringing your perspective to the discussion.

I can very much see how those who trust Tripp would still see the Pearl's teachings as abusive. I know Dobson (a punitive parenting guru) says that parents who have been abused or feel themselves likely to abuse shouldn't consider spanking, but spanking is still encouraged generally by his teachings. Could it be that someone specifically said you should not spank because your thinking patterns were influenced by the Pearl's, but that they are considering your circumstances specifically as an exception?

Another thing to be careful about, even when all other advice is good, is when the concept of defiance is presented as something to be especially feared. That has a way of coloring interactions because the definition of defiance can broaden over time. That's Dobson's main downfall, IMO, that he would present spanking as a response to defiance as only necessary occasionally, but that the concept will end up influencing interactions much more often in practice. I hope someone can read IACH and figure out if it's built on that paradigm or not - that's a key characteristic that delineates parenting philosophies, IMO.

Oh, yeah, and don't put a Ten Commandments level of law to your desire to choose reasonable and logical consequences. There's some room for error as long as your intentions are good. Grace is for mamas, too.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (03-20-2010), Beth1231 (03-20-2010), erinee (03-20-2010), flowermama (03-20-2010), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), momyshaver (03-20-2010), NewLeaf (03-21-2010), Serafine (03-20-2010), Zooey (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #41
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what the point of even saying Tripp is better than Pearl. The essence of both is the same. Punishment puts you right with God. Spanking is the way to TRAIN your child.

So what if there is good stuff in SACH. So what if Tedd Tripp has some good ideas. The Pearls share MANY of the same ideal that we here at GCM do. That does not mean we embrace or promote them in ANY way.

I think if you have a non punitive mindset, are free of the bonds of legalism, and are grounded in grace based and non punitive discipline then SACH or IACH could be a good book to read. It is only good though if you can completely ignore the very bad parts of his book and what he preaches.

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Six Little Feet For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (03-21-2010), abh5e8 (03-20-2010), Ajani (03-22-2010), Chaos Coordinator (03-09-2011), domesticzookeeper (03-22-2010), emerald (03-02-2011), erinee (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #42
erinee
Rose Garden

erinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond reputeerinee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could it be that someone specifically said you should not spank because your thinking patterns were influenced by the Pearl's, but that they are considering your circumstances specifically as an exception?
I wondered about that as well.
FlyingBlueKiwi (02-27-2011)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #43
Chris3jam

I read SACH (I think I still have it, if I didn't send it off to someone here for research). If IACH is *that* different, he must have indeed done a 180 about his stance on physical punishment. There is a story in SACH, if I remember correctly, about a girl (an older one) who left her pillow at a camp. He mentioned her living with that consequence (she wasn't going to get another one, but would have to buy one herself with her own money), but also added physical punishment to the "discipline". If I remember right. I remember thinking, "Um, I believe that the natural consequence was enough?"
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #44
mama-hobbit
Deactivated

mama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond reputemama-hobbit has a reputation beyond repute

mama-hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #45
mothersson2002
Rose Bouquet

mothersson2002 is a glorious beacon of lightmothersson2002 is a glorious beacon of lightmothersson2002 is a glorious beacon of lightmothersson2002 is a glorious beacon of lightmothersson2002 is a glorious beacon of lightmothersson2002 is a glorious beacon of light

http://tripp tomars.blogspot. com /2008/09/ted- tripp-and-potential-for -child-abuse .html

http://stop the rod.net/tripp.html

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

"Children are old enough to be disciplined when they are old enough to show resistance, Tripp says in "Shepherding a Child's Heart."
"Rebellion can be something as simple as a small child struggling against a diaper change or stiffening his body when you want him to sit on your lap," Shepherding a Child's Heart
This seems to me like it could enable sexual abuse If a child is not to rebel against adults even with intimate situations such as sitting on their laps.
Does that make sense?

Last edited by mothersson2002; 03-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.
mothersson2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mothersson2002 For This Useful Post:
bliss (03-21-2010), Chaos Coordinator (03-09-2011), domesticzookeeper (03-22-2010), emerald (03-02-2011), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), NewLeaf (03-21-2010), Six Little Feet (03-20-2010), Treenahurricane (03-20-2010)