Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what can we DO?

I just started a facebook page, hopefully drawing people in to see alternatives.

I fully agree with encouraging any and everyone to pull their books and support whenever you see it
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrangeTraveller For This Useful Post:
mountainash (03-04-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainash View Post
I remember reading a quote a long time ago about how it's harder for people to separate from something than it is for them to separate unto something.

Before parents will be willing to give up following the Pearl's teaching, I suspect they will need non-punitive tools for setting firm boundaries. Actually, many parents will simply need to know that they can enforce boundaries without inflicting physical pain. The idea is out there that anyone who doesn't spank their children lets their children do whatever they like.

Another thing that deserves to be accentuated is the need for parents to step back and ask themselves, What do my children really learn from my preferred disciplinary tactics? If I spank my child for throwing a tantrum when he is angry, what am I really teaching him? The spanking may get him to stop tantruming, but have I actually taught him how to deal with his anger appropriately?
ashley - that is so helpful!!
I would elaborate but
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
mountainash (03-04-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough

I read in one of the news stories that the DA is linking the death to 'fundamentalist' child training, but there is no mention of the Pearls by name.

I hope that they further investigate and charge the Pearls with accessory to murder.

And I agree that the mainstream Christians who spank and Focus on the family should get involved and issue warnings about these teachings- because even the families that I know that spank have found this case to be disgusting.

Even mainstream spankers would not condone using plumbing line to beat their children to death.

Is there someone at Focus we can email? What about their radio show?

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainash View Post
I remember reading a quote a long time ago about how it's harder for people to separate from something than it is for them to separate unto something.

Before parents will be willing to give up following the Pearl's teaching, I suspect they will need non-punitive tools for setting firm boundaries. Actually, many parents will simply need to know that they can enforce boundaries without inflicting physical pain. The idea is out there that anyone who doesn't spank their children lets their children do whatever they like.

Another thing that deserves to be accentuated is the need for parents to step back and ask themselves, What do my children really learn from my preferred disciplinary tactics? If I spank my child for throwing a tantrum when he is angry, what am I really teaching him? The spanking may get him to stop tantruming, but have I actually taught him how to deal with his anger appropriately?
I agree but the issue goes much deeper than just giving these people gentle parenting tools. The issue is that they fully believe in their heart that it is not a CHOICE they have as to whether to spank or not. They believe it is God's command to them - that they MUST spank and to not spank would be to disobey God themselves.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Just saw a newer news article that DOES mention the Pearls
You can read it HERE
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I would think Nancy Grace might be more interested in airing the story, then Hannity,Palin? We could email her.
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
relizabeth (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

After having an extensive and exhausting discussion on fb about this, something that I have noticed is that we have to start slowly. My point on there was not to go straight to "DON'T SPANK!" That is a lot for people to chew on, and not necessarily the goal.

My point was to expose Michael Pearl as a false teacher and to define discipline *leaving the option for alternatives.* Because the English translations of the Hebrew words like discipline and chastise and rod can be both physical and figurative, I only want to start by leaving the door open for alternatives.

In my opinion, the starting point should be to reject Michael Pearl as an outright false teacher and extremely dangerous. Part of that teaching is that GOD'S WAY is to use corporal punishment. Period.

If people can first reject Michael Pearl (which would be HUGE. Huge.), then reject the notion that corporal punishment is the only way, then, in whatever small way, maybe people will start to be freed of this. Maybe then they won't feel trapped into such methods. If there are options, if one way is not THE way, the Pearl can be rejected..abuse can be rejected..spanking can be rejected because it is not THE way.

And lemme tell ya..this is going to take, aside from pulling support from their literature, etc, us being vulnerable. This discussion was raw, it was vulnerable, it was difficult. But, in the end, people surprised me. Someone had been reading it and jumped in mentioning that "something seems off" with the Pearls, and I really did NOT expect that from her. The person I was debating with thanked me for revealing his name so that they are aware, and she acknowledged my viewpoint once she realized I wasn't attacking her. We have to be vulnerable...and it is exhausting to me.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to StrangeTraveller For This Useful Post:
BornFreeBaby (03-05-2010), Codi (03-05-2010), Maggirayne (03-05-2010), MaiMama (03-06-2010), momyshaver (03-05-2010), newday (03-05-2010), NovelMama (03-05-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-05-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for StrangeTraveller:
Maggirayne (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

See my post up there. Let's write
Oprah
Dr. Phil
The Doctors
Dr. Oz
The View
Dateline
60 Minutes
Foxnews
Cnn
ect with snail mail and email. Let's do it!
Let's also call various places, news stations and the like. They may say, "It's just 2 children that died." but more children are suffering because of these Pearls. They are totally dragging Christianity in the mud, twisting things and stating that compassion and mercy are poisonous to children, but cruelty is acceptable.
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synesthesia For This Useful Post:
Codi (03-05-2010), Maggirayne (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
See my post up there. Let's write
Oprah
Dr. Phil
The Doctors
Dr. Oz
The View
Dateline
60 Minutes
Foxnews
Cnn
ect with snail mail and email. Let's do it!
Let's also call various places, news stations and the like. They may say, "It's just 2 children that died." but more children are suffering because of these Pearls. They are totally dragging Christianity in the mud, twisting things and stating that compassion and mercy are poisonous to children, but cruelty is acceptable.
My only concern with it coming from the news is that fundamentalist/Conservative Christians will only hear that a teacher who promotes spanking is being accused of being extreme. They will then lump it in with their own brand of "Biblical discipline" and view this as just more "persecution" and the World hating them for being different.

It takes a long. time. when talking to some of these people to get them to see Pearl for who he is and not for just someone who promotes spanking so therefore must be right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrangeTraveller For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (03-05-2010), Maggirayne (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeTraveller View Post
My only concern with it coming from the news is that fundamentalist/Conservative Christians will only hear that a teacher who promotes spanking is being accused of being extreme. They will then lump it in with their own brand of "Biblical discipline" and view this as just more "persecution" and the World hating them for being different.

It takes a long. time. when talking to some of these people to get them to see Pearl for who he is and not for just someone who promotes spanking so therefore must be right.
Hurm, the world is more annoyed with them for being way too harsh on kids. Plus, folks here are conservative and can show that not only can one be conservative and not spank, but they can be conservative and not agree with folks like Pearl and have kids that are not in motorcycle gangs. And are actually still Christian too.
I saw this is a worthy risk if it can plant the seeds of doubt in these folks so they can see it not as persecution, but as trying to be compassionate towards kids, but that can be a later step.

The first step can be exposing these people for the cruel frauds they are.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
Meli
Deactivated

Meli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After having an extensive and exhausting discussion on fb about this, something that I have noticed is that we have to start slowly. My point on there was not to go straight to "DON'T SPANK!" That is a lot for people to chew on, and not necessarily the goal.
Part of the reason I have not linked to anything on FB etc is that I have no one in my circle of friends (Facebook or IRL) who has any link to the Pearl's material. There is no real connection there, and if I was to make one, or even just post as a stand alone, the natural link would be to similar but less extreme practises such as those in Ezzo, Tripp and Dobson. I have not chosen to go that way because I agree with you that taring them all with the same brush would not be helpful - it would lessen the argument against Pearl rather than strengthen the argument against the others. It makes it too easy to say "well I don't use Pearl, I only use Ezzo - it's clear than Pearl goes too far, but Ezzo is the "godly" version". IYKWIM

So I am just accumulating links in my favourites so if it does come up I have them ready to go.
Meli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
MuseMama

Quote:

I think you have a really good point here. So, while I agree that the word needs to get out (I want to poison people's minds against these materials before well meaning friends put them in their hands) I think to reach people who are already involved, we need to keep it local. We need to talk to our pastors, our homeschooling groups, our mommy groups at church, post on our blogs about what gentle discipline looks like and that it WORKS (the Pearls' lie and say that it won't).

More than that, we have to take back "God's way". The Pearl's pray not only on our fears as parents, but our fears as Christians. They teach that their way is scriptural.

We have to expose their faulty theology: nothing removes guilt from anyone except the blood of Christ. Not the rod, not a switching. No No No!

We have to share how parenting children the way God parents us, leads to a close personal relationship between parent and child that is based on respect. Since God has taken our punishment, and we are no longer under wrath, likewise we do not have to punish our children. God allows us to take the temporal consequences of our actions, as many of us also do with our children. But if we make bad choices, and suffer for them, God never leaves us, never turns away. He walks alongside us! And we do the same for our kids, adding grace and mercy into consequences, and responsibility.

The God we follow is one of compassion, and mercy. Ultimately, I could never imagine having a conversation with Jesus where he encouraged me to tempt my child, and then switch them for their failure. He doesn't lead us into temptation! I couldn't imagine Jesus telling me to spank or switch my children for failure to obey, or failure to do right. And I couldn't imagine him telling me to accept nothing less than perfect obedience.

After all, I'm not perfectly obedient. That's why I need the grace and mercy of Jesus. How can we expect of our children what we are unable to accomplish? How does that line up with the God of the Bible? And isn't His example what we should aspire to?

The world will never reach the hearts of other Christian parents. Only we can do that.

For my part, I will continue to blog about this, and I will continue to seek out blogs of Pearl's followers, and speak gently to them. It was done for me, and I thank God every day for it.

(Sorry for the long-windedness, I'm a bit passionate on this subject)

Last edited by MuseMama; 03-05-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (03-05-2010), StrangeTraveller (03-06-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #26
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

Quote:
The world will never reach the hearts of other Christian parents. Only we can do that.
This is totally it for me. This has to come from the inside, not from the media. If FOTF renounced Pearl because of an outcry from Christians, something would happen. If..oh..60 Minutes renounced it, it would be "the world misunderstanding."
Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #27
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is totally it for me. This has to come from the inside, not from the media. If FOTF renounced Pearl because of an outcry from Christians, something would happen. If..oh..60 Minutes renounced it, it would be "the world misunderstanding."
Right. On top of that, there is a risk of him becoming a "martyr."

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #28
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

He's won't be a martyr to me and to other folks who are tired of this nonsense. I will not feel sorry for a man who teaches people to hurt children over stupid things.
It's about those kids. If these folks go, "Aw, poor Michael Pearl, how can the WORLD attack a man of GOD." Folks will have to point out the pain and suffering of these kids and how it is NOT acceptable at all.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
He's won't be a martyr to me and to other folks who are tired of this nonsense. I will not feel sorry for a man who teaches people to hurt children over stupid things.
It's about those kids. If these folks go, "Aw, poor Michael Pearl, how can the WORLD attack a man of GOD." Folks will have to point out the pain and suffering of these kids and how it is NOT acceptable at all.
Actually, I meant to Christians. It could backfire and get him more followers. There is no danger of non-Christians following him. None at all. Nobody would even consider anything he says to make sense unless they are Christians. Even most Christians don't fall for it. But, the danger is to Christians. And if he were in jail, his work could become even more popular. That is what I meant. And it was just a thought, anyway. Brainstorming, so to speak.

I'm still considering the possibility of having him charged. It occurs to me that being charged is not the same as convicted. I can see both sides of the argument and I'm torn.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
StrangeTraveller (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Actually, I meant to Christians. It could backfire and get him more followers. There is no danger of non-Christians following him. None at all. Nobody would even consider anything he says to make sense unless they are Christians. Even most Christians don't fall for it. But, the danger is to Christians. And if he were in jail, his work could become even more popular. That is what I meant. And it was just a thought, anyway. Brainstorming, so to speak.

I'm still considering the possibility of having him charged. It occurs to me that being charged is not the same as convicted. I can see both sides of the argument and I'm torn.
That is something to worry about. I can't understand why people find him so appealing. It's alien to me. To my sense of right and wrong, but if people were raised in that strict way, are they more likely, like in those books by Alice Miller, to think that sort of treatment is right?
It seems so harsh to me. I can't fanthum hitting a child over anything, and these folks are hitting kids for crying for them, for normal child things. It's a culture I don't understand, even though when I lived with my mother I grew up with that sort of thing, and she did too, worse than I did.