Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #16
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proverbs 23:13-14/Q's about the rod

Quote:
Anyways, I was excited about this line in these verses because my pastor has a Calvanistic bent and is very ADAMENT that there is NOTHING one can do to save themselves... I think I may have an argument here if you ladies can help me develop it
*grin*

Yep.

Applying the Gospel to our children has really solidified my belief in gentle discipline. Developing this line of thought in a written out organized way, though, has been hard for me to do! Bits and pieces. . .
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:39 AM   #17
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

One new thing to throw into the mix is that the Hebrews' categories for what happened to you after death and therefore what "save your soul" could mean are not precisely the same as our current categories. We are reading "salvation by grace through faith in Jesus" back into this text and it would have been quite alien to them.

Just thought I'd mention it!

katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #18
Katherine

Quote:
One new thing to throw into the mix is that the Hebrews' categories for what happened to you after death and therefore what "save your soul" could mean are not precisely the same as our current categories. We are reading "salvation by grace through faith in Jesus" back into this text and it would have been quite alien to them.

OOOH! That's interesting. I have wondered about that many times, and puzzled over why the verse included the reference to saving their souls. I just wasn't sure where to turn for a better understanding of it. Are there any literary sources that express this idea? I would love to read about it a bit.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #19
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

The Resurrection of the Son of God by N. T. Wright starts with a lengthy (and I'm not kidding) discussion of the afterlife concepts held by the Greeks, Romans and Jews in pre-Christian times . As I recall, he said the starting place for the Hebrew belief in the afterlife was approximately that when you died you went down to "Sheol" or "the grave"--even the righteous did. As God continued to reveal Himself in the Old Testament, the belief developed that the love of God was so strong that it would not end at death, and they began to have an idea that there would be a resurrection life after a period of disembodied existence. He does discuss the "save me from Sheol" language that comes into various Psalms and points out that there is varied opinion--the writer's hope may have been that God would keep him from an untimely death or that God would allow the writer to pass through Sheol and move on to a life beyond, and he also points out that the meaning might have been read differently at a later date than at an earlier date.

[One of Wright's main points for going through all of the history of afterlife belief is to point out that the disciples could not get the idea to claim an immediate, bodily resurrection for their Messiah Jesus through the influence of any culture that was on hand to influence their thinking on this. No culture of the day believed in an immediate bodily resurrection for a Messiah or for anyone else. This makes it unlikely that the disciples and early Christians would get the idea for it unless it happened that way.]
Old 03-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
ShowersofBlessings
Rose Bouquet

ShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove

and another reason this verse can't be taken literally is that you *can* beat a child to death with an implement--or even your hand. You can't guarantee their salvation by doing it, but you might kill them. Since Scripture doesn't lie, it can't be intended to literally mean what we read in the English.
I also wanted to point out that Scripture itself appears to contradict these verses if they are taken literally. Exodus 21:20 indicates that it is possible to accidently beat someone to death with a rod. And btw, the rod is the same Hebrew word used in both places.
Alana 2005 *God's blessing of Grace*
Matthew 2008 *God's blessing of Joy*
David 2010 *God's blessing of Love*

Elysha 2012 *God's blessing of Faith*
Caleb 2014 *God's blessing of Peace*
Olivia 2016*God's blessing of Kindness*
And
Benjamin 2020 *God's blessing of Patience*
ShowersofBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:30 PM   #21
Katherine

Kathy,

nak

Thanks for the further explanation. I'm even more intrigued. May just have to put that on my reading list.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #22
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Yes, Kathy--excellent point! Sheol is the grave is death in these passages. So the verse is talking about helping someone off the path to death--makes me think of the NT passage about seeing a brother committing a sin that leads to death and pulling them away immediately versus praying for them if it's not a sin that leads to death.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #23
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowersofBlessings
Quote:

and another reason this verse can't be taken literally is that you *can* beat a child to death with an implement--or even your hand. You can't guarantee their salvation by doing it, but you might kill them. Since Scripture doesn't lie, it can't be intended to literally mean what we read in the English.
I also wanted to point out that Scripture itself appears to contradict these verses if they are taken literally. Exodus 21:20 indicates that it is possible to accidently beat someone to death with a rod. And btw, the rod is the same Hebrew word used in both places.
Moses used a shebet when he killed the Egyptian.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #24
Cindy

Quote:
Yes, Kathy--excellent point! Sheol is the grave is death in these passages. So the verse is talking about helping someone off the path to death--makes me think of the NT passage about seeing a brother committing a sin that leads to death and pulling them away immediately versus praying for them if it's not a sin that leads to death.
The verse says "save his soul from death"... I am confused...
Old 03-27-2005, 09:57 PM   #25
Katherine

Cindy,

I always thought that "save his SOUL from death" indicated spiritual death, e.g. hell. Is that what you're asking?

Are there any translations that read "save his soul from hell"? Just wondering. I searched a little bit but didn't find any.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #26
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

You're right, Cindy. It does say that. I was talking about the kind of lingo used in Psalms and other places in the OT to describe what the Jews in that time thought would happen to them when they died. They believed they would would go down to the grave, to Sheol when they died--body and soul, righteous or not. When we NT Christians see "save his soul from death" language, we're thinking differently than the Jews of that time. Specifically we're thinking "salvation" and Jews of that time likely saw "save his soul from death" as "save him from an untimely death". In other words, the whole verse you quoted might exegete out to approximately this: Parents, your child won't die from being disciplined but certainly COULD die from a foolish or sinful act, so save him from that by disciplining him." (See how I sidestep the literal versus figurative rod? I take the lazy way out on that-- I haven't studied up on it but I don't need to land on either side of that one, because this is a Proverb and the point is the wisdom about discipline, not the exact method.

Make sense?