Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute
Default What kind of soup do you like?

The cool weather seems to have arrived, so my thoughts are turning to soup. It's as quick and healthy as you need it to be. And some days nothing else will do.

I prefer creamy soups. I like to add things like cheese or bacon or croutons or sliced green onion to doctor them up at the end.

I don't mind some brothy ones, but with a few exceptions I don't care for bits of meat. I prefer the broth on its own, with a nice chunk of crusty bread and maybe a slice of really sharp cheddar.

Our son especially loves lentil and barley soup. Always has. I used to puree it for him when he was a baby.

I'm going to post a few soup recipes that I enjoy in the cool months. How do you like your soup?

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Last edited by Ajani; 09-10-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of soup do you like?

Homemade chicken rice is my favorite.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

silly crafty messy peaceful-ish me

delightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant future

Broccoli & cheese. DH's least favorite

Hope to see some soup recipes added!

empowering women out of poverty by selling their Fair Trade handcrafts with Trades of Hope!
delightedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute

My kids love this cheesy veggie medley soup, but it's not very healthy. I'm not sure how you'd make it w/o the Velveeta.

It's basically chicken broth brought to a boil, then add sauteed onion and 2 bags of frozen california medley. Once veggies are cooked, you add half a brick of velveeta, cubed. Once it's melted, you take a stick blender and smush the veggies up. A potato masher or even just a fork work pretty well too. We serve it with crusty french bread. It would be awesome in bread bowls.
jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jewelmcjem For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (09-19-2012)
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

When I am sick I totally crave Wonton soup, but can't seem to make it well for myself...

I like white chili and a good beef veggie stew(does that count as soup though?).

The kids like any soup I put ABC pasta in...unless (for ds2) it contains green beans or greens
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE soup.

Charla’s Chicken Noodle Soup
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 TBSP olive oil
½ lg onion, diced
2 carrots, halved and sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 lg garlic clove, minced
2 qts chicken broth
2 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
1 bay leaf
1 large lemon
Salt
4 oz whole grain spaghetti, broken into bite-size lengths
Shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.

Meanwhile sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil until soft. Stir in chicken broth, water, chicken bouillon cube if using and bay leaf. Season with salt and juice of the lemon. Bring to a boil and add broken spaghetti. Cube chicken into bite-size pieces and add to soup. Gently boil until pasta is tender about 8-10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and adjust salt. Ladle into bowls and top each serving with shredded parmesan cheese.

Don't be afraid of the lemon in this recipe. It really brightens the flavor of the soup.

Charla’s Navy Bean Soup

1 1b navy beans, soaked either overnight or by quick method, drained and rinsed
1TBSP olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 TBSP canned diced jalapeños
6-8 slices of ham, diced
1 qt chicken broth
2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
Shredded Parmesan cheese to top each serving

Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the chicken broth, water, navy beans, jalapeños and ham and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme and continue to simmer, covered for another hour or more until beans are tender. Check the seasonings. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.

Charla's Cream of Tomato Soup
1 48 oz can tomato juice
4 TBSP butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 cups milk for desired creaminess

Heat tomato juice, butter, salt and pepper over medium heat. When hot, reduce heat to low and add milk, stir and heat just until hot so milk doesn't curdle.

Charla's French Onion Soup

This is my version based on a recipe I found in a cookbook that I've had for years.

4 large onions, sliced
1/2 stick butter
2-3 cloves minced garlic - my addition
6 cups beef broth
dried thyme (1/2 tsp ?) - my addition
salt & pepper

Sauté onions in melted butter in a large pot on medium heat until they turn a deep brown color. Stir often. Sometimes it helps to put the lid on for a little bit at a time or add a little salt to the onions to help them break down. When the onions are almost done add the minced garlic to sauté for a couple minutes. Add the beef broth and seasonings and stir well. Bring to a boil, lower heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. You can ladle into bowls or crocks and top each serving with a French bread slice and parmesan plus other white cheeses - mozzarella, Swiss, etc. and then place under broiler to make it all melty and oozy.

Charla's Chili
1 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 minced garlic clove

Brown meat and soften veggies in a large soup pot. When browned add:

1 can beef broth
1 can rotel
2 cans black beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 TBSP or more to taste chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
1 tsp granulated onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat through. This is a soupy chili because that's the way I like it. Serve topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Potato Soup
3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/2 large onion, diced
2-3 celery ribs, diced
1 TBSP butter or olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 qt chicken broth
1 qt half and half (could use cream or milk)
Salt

Melt butter in soup pot over medium heat, add onion, celery and garlic and saute until softened. Add potatoes, broth and salt and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until potatoes are for tender. Add half and half and heat just until hot. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Be creative with toppers: shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sliced green onion, pepper, croutons, sour cream, etc.

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (12-14-2010), Can'tTurnLeft (09-10-2010), curlymopmom (09-15-2010), filmgirl2911 (09-14-2010), GlacierLily (11-04-2012), jenn3514 (09-10-2010), joyful mama (09-15-2010), Maggie (09-11-2010), mamajane (09-12-2010), ncsweetpea (09-19-2012), raining_kisses (09-10-2010), RiverRock (09-12-2010), TuneMyHeart (09-12-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

I looooove Chicken Tortilla soup, and Cheesburger Soup and vegetable soup with big chunks of meat.

I don't think there's any soup I don't like. I looove this soup book of cooks' favourite thatI got from B&N, and I can't find it.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

One of my children's favorites: Chicken Mug Pie http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I love turkey soup, French onion soup, and creamy squash-based soups.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Starfox
Deactivated

Ain't nobody got time for perfection!

Starfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond repute

I love creamy, cheesey, hearty soup. Yumm.. My favorite is cheesey chicken spicey soup in the crock pot. I'll post the recipe when I find it!

I'd love the recipe to the Chicken Tortilla soup too.

And Charla, for the awesome recipes!!! Yum!!!
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starfox For This Useful Post:
charla (09-10-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Black bean soup. Italian wedding soup. Bean and bacon. Broccoli Cheese. Tomato. French Onion.

Now I want soup. Too bad it's 92 here.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, French Onion. I love that. But only with beef broth. I've had it with chicken and it's not the same. Not as rich. I like it with beer in it, too.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Dh isn't much of a soup guy. Weird. I love lentil soup out of the crockpot with fresh bread from the bread machine. No effort.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (09-10-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

I like too many soups to list recipes unless specifically requested.

I make three different versions of potato leek soup, so that might be my favourite. I also do one that tastes like a loaded baked potato... mmmmm!

Curried roast cauliflower soup is addictive. I add half a cup of cream to this recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...uliflower-soup

Turkey and chicken soup with homemade broth is a given. I switch up the starch – potato, pasta or rice – depending on my mood.

Beef and barley soup is awesome as well as a hamburger soup recipe from a community cookbook (fundraiser) from hubby's home town years ago; it's heavier on veggies than other hamburger soups I've had. I guess chili would come under this same category... just made some this week (rainy here).

Oooo... I've got a wild rice soup (recipe clipped from local paper) that is hubby's favourite – masses of wild rice with carrots and celery and other veggies in an incredibly yummy broth with a smidge of cream.

I finally found a split pea and ham soup recipe that I like (more complex than the usual recipe), but only myself and DD2 like it... DD1 and DH turn up their noses at the mere mention of split peas.

Made a minestrone once that was AWESOME and then promptly lost the recipe.

I feel like I'm missing some.

Soups I love, but don't make myself are French onion (can't seem to get the broth right even though I can make perfect caramelized onions) and tomato. Despite my garden tomato snobbery, for some reason nothing beats Campbell's tomato from a tin for me. Perhaps it's the childhood, comfort food link.

ETA: Oh, I made a squash soup for the first time last week that was heavy on the roasted garlic (two full heads). I don't typically like squash in any form except pumpkin pie and muffins, but this was absolutely delicious!

Last edited by Macky; 09-10-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (09-15-2010), Johns_Gal (09-12-2010), mommylove (09-10-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

chicken tortilla with avocado and sour cream. yummmm...
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote